spilled juice: compensation

Old May 8, 07, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roadkit View Post
You are entitled to be pissed off about your bad luck at having clumsy seat mate and FA. But that's it. Get over it.
What does the clumsy seat mate have to do with it? The OP clearly wrote that it was the FA who spilled on him, not his seat mate.

This would warrant nothing if the FA handled it properly. She didn't. Write customer service and emphasize the poor service provided by the FA fter the spill. She needs to learn some manners.
Old May 9, 07, 12:53 am

Programs: FAA, NTSB, IATA, ICAO
Originally Posted by DreamlinerI View Post
I bet you guys would not be singing the same tune if some cluts sitting next to you on an international long-haul spills alcohol or other liquids on your seat or you. I think that sometimes the FA's postion drinks and cans so that they are more likely to spill.....
You cant be serious! To quote someone farther up on this thread..."and you wonder why some FA's have bad attitudes towards customers." You actually think that we would put a drink down and snicker to ourselves..."he he he, I cant wait to see him/her spill that!."

Grow up, wash your running pants in the sink in the lav and move on.
Old May 9, 07, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by rjque View Post
Why should the seat mate do anything? The FA spilled the OJ, not the seat mate. This is how it should have gone:

FA spills OJ on OP
FA: Oh, I'm so sorry, let me help you get that cleaned up.
[FA gets OP paper towels, etc. to help clean up]
FA: Again, I'm so sorry for spilling that drink on you. Do you think those will need professional cleaning?
OP: No, they are just sweat pants that I wear for flying. It will wash right out.

This is at least how I would have reacted if the FA was actively working to admit fault and fix the issue. If the FA took a "sucks to be you" attitidue, like the FA and purser did here, I might be inlclined to push it further.

The point is that a little good customer service can alleviate 90% of these silly compensation issues. Unfortunately, United does nothing to instill such a culture. Until UA management figures out that it is in a service business, and not just a commodity business, expect these threads to continue appearing.
Presumably most people did not read my original posts. The FA ran away as quickly as possible--and in neither case "offered" a blanket. I had to ask both times and when the FA spilled OJ on me, she was reluctant to get me a blanket. The purser agreed that this service was unacceptable.

Now, after all of you have had your fun ganging up on me and after only a handful of you were even sympathetic to my sitting around in wet pants, are you ready to stop your bashing?

Frankly, I had thought better of most of the posters on the United forum. But these personal attacks make me think twice, especially when United777Heavy felt "compelled" to note:

"Here is a bit of trivia, in 2006, the average home in Potomac sold for $1,033,559."

Sorry, but my home in Potomac would not sell for so much and I would daresay that as a university professor, my annual income is substantially less than almost all of you who post regularly on this forum. This sort of personal insult is uncalled for and says volumes about the sort of person who would launch a personal attack. I await a profound apology from United777Heavy--and from others who launched personal attacks.

I felt that I was treated badly by this FA twice regarding handling a soaking seat and wet pants (all seats were occupied so there was no chance of getting another seat) and I asked for advice. Instead I got insults and more than a handful of gratuitous comments (such as mecabq's statement that the entertainment system is the reason why many people fly UA in C--without noting that the entertainment system on a 777 is exactly the same in Y as in C and that I said I had broken systems on more than one occasion and never thought of asking for anything).
Old May 9, 07, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

euslaner: just imagine how different the reaction to your OP would have been had you not used the word "compensation"? Yes, the FA's actions were perhaps not what one should expect, and I guess that you would have started with the sympathy of most posters but lost the sympathy of many by indicating that you expected compensation for the FA's behaviour, indeed not just compensation but additional compensation over and beyond the $25 voucher that you got.
Ultimately, it sounds as if your beef was the lack of sympathy on the part of the FA and her rather abrupt/rude attitude. What most of us would expect in that kind of situation is an apology. not compensation. Referring to compensation without even contemplating anything else makes it sound as if you were seeking to milk the incident for every $ that you could. This may not have been your intention but your post certainly left itself quite open to that interpretation.
Old May 9, 07, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by euslaner View Post
Now, after all of you have had your fun ganging up on me and after only a handful of you were even sympathetic to my sitting around in wet pants, are you ready to stop your bashing?
So when the majority of people tell you you're wrong, it's "ganging up" and "bashing?"

Let me guess.. when the majority of people agree with you, it's "supportive" and "sympathetic."

Demanding apologies... you might as well slap someone across the face with a glove

(And yes... it was the demand/expectation of compensation, at least for me).
Old May 9, 07, 7:25 am

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Thumbs down very disappointing

Presumably most people did not read my original posts. The FA ran away as quickly as possible--and in neither case "offered" a blanket. I had to ask both times and when the FA spilled OJ on me, she was reluctant to get me a blanket. The purser agreed that this service was unacceptable.

Frankly, I had thought better of most of the posters on the United forum. But these personal attacks make me think twice, especially when United777Heavy felt "compelled" to note:

"Here is a bit of trivia, in 2006, the average home in Potomac sold for $1,033,559."

Sorry, but my home in Potomac would not sell for so much and I would daresay that as a university professor, my annual income is substantially less than almost all of you who post regularly on this forum. This sort of personal insult is uncalled for and says volumes about the sort of person who would launch a personal attack. I await a profound apology from United777Heavy--and from others who launched personal attacks.

I felt that I was treated badly by this FA twice regarding handling a soaking seat and wet pants (all seats were occupied so there was no chance of getting another seat) and I asked for advice. Instead I got insults and more than a handful of gratuitous comments (such as mecabq's statement that the entertainment system is the reason why many people fly UA in C--without noting that the entertainment system on a 777 is exactly the same in Y as in C and that I said I had broken systems on more than one occasion and never thought of asking for anything).
I am very disappointed to see some posts in this thread.

Maybe OP was asking a little too much over some OJ spill.

Maybe he should not have mentioned the word "compensation".

Maybe he should have simply moved on and forgot about the incident.

The poor guy was just asking for advice. And he got hit hard, really hard.

People: give OP a break.

There is simply no reason to make so many mean statements.
Old May 9, 07, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post
So when the majority of people tell you you're wrong, it's "ganging up" and "bashing?"

Let me guess.. when the majority of people agree with you, it's "supportive" and "sympathetic."

Demanding apologies... you might as well slap someone across the face with a glove

Yes, people--and especially you--are ganging up on me. What started as a simple request based upon what I thought (confirmed by the purser) was poor service has turned into over 60 posts, almost all of which have bashed me and few posters have actually read what I wrote. At least one poster has made a personal attack based upon what (s)he perceived as my "privileged" status with a million dollar home. Even if this were true, which it is not, what purpose would such an attack serve? My original post was a request for information based upon MANY posts on this forum asking similar questions and often congratulating posters for receiving up to $300 because they had to use their overhead reading lights rather than their seatback lights.

You posters who groan about cold nuts and who make 219 (now) posts about whether a FA hung up your coat (hey, they're there for your safety, ot for your coats) and then bash me--all of you ought to look in the mirror.

And for the record, I'll challenge any and all of you on one key ground--the number of e-mails I have sent to the 1K e-mail praising excellent service by FAs. I do this routinely and I gather from folks who know that this is not done quite so often. So yes I am ticked and I think I am justified in resenting the pontifications of all of your moralizers.
Old May 9, 07, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
My suggestion here would be to get the pants dry-cleaned, keep the receipt, and send it to UA. I'd also outline the bad service you received and be proactive in noting what you think would be fair compensation. Personally I think the dry cleaning bill plus $25-50 or maybe some miles sounds about right, but you should ask for what you want and see what they say.
Old May 9, 07, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was on UA 932 IAD-FRA in C Saturday night (and in response to another post, yes my upgrade did clear at the gate--even though the flight had been overbooked because of a missed connection of another flight). Shortly before take-off my seatmate tipped over his champagne and it spilled over my seat. No big problem there, he didn't do it on purpose. But the crew seemed stumped and only retrieved a blanket to cover the soaking seat cushion when I asked for it. Rest of the flight was good (though it might have been nice if our water glasses were refilled) until breakfast. A FA gave my seatmate his OJ but put it between the tray and the arm rest, where it promptly spilled over my running pants (which I wear on flights for comfort). The FA took away some wet newspapers and put a few paper towels on the ground. She didn't notice that my pants were wet. I told her so and asked for another blanket and she originally said that the full flight didn't have any (but ultimately found one when I insisted) and then told me that my pants would dry eventually (I had another flight in several hours to Helsinki). I told her that I would need to have my pants cleaned and that I was rather uncomfortable with wet pants and she offered me a $25 UA certificate. I spoke with a more sympathetic purser, who admitted that this was not handled well (I was basically told to get over it) but said that she could not do anything more. I could write to CS, she said, which I intend to do. What compensation might I expect?
Hmmm. On my last flight to Shanghai ex SFO. the FA spilled a screwdriver on me. Not only did I not get compensation, but the FA complained to my wife that I had an "attitude" (I was soaked, was standing near the lav trying to dry off and, when asked, told the FA I didn't want dinner, I just wanted to get dry).
Old May 9, 07, 9:21 am

Programs: 1.3mm
Why should I apologize to you for having an opinion? Everyone, including yourself has an opinion. This is a public forum.

As I mentioned before, it was handled poorly. It sucks to be at the business end of poor service. You probably weren't the only one who had a bad experience on United Airlines that day, but in comparison with, yours was just a minor inconvenience.

As for the trivia fact... quote me on how that was directed at you, as I just thought it was a interesting real estate fact. Just like, United Airlines was originally owned by the Boeing Airplane Company.

Last edited by United777Heavy; May 9, 07 at 12:59 pm
Old May 9, 07, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post

Regardless of whether you think airlines should offer compensation for bad customer service, it is no secret that airlines regularly do this. What's wrong with asking what UA might offer if the OP sends a letter? The purpose of this forum is to share information, not lambast posters as examples of why tort reform is needed in the U.S. There are already plenty of places in OMNI for that.
Old May 9, 07, 9:37 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
What I find amusing is that I am even adding to this already insane thread...lol

5 pages of it thus far: and moreover, as I do understand the original issue at hand...it seems so banal in the big picture.

To think-while the original post was being written, there was probably some helpless family stuggling with a child who is extremely ill, or a single parent working 3 jobs to support a family after the loss of a spouse.

I mean really now....
Old May 9, 07, 9:38 am

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pallensf View Post
What I find amusing is that I am even adding to this already insane thread...lol

5 pages of it thus far: and moreover, as I do understand the original issue at hand...it seems so banal in the big picture.

To think-while the original post was being written, there was probably some helpless family stuggling with a child who is extremely ill, or a single parent working 3 jobs to support a family after the loss of a spouse.

I mean really now....
^

Good post!
Old May 9, 07, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by pallensf View Post
I'm sorry, but that's just lame. We should all just pack up and go home (figuratively) since everything we talk about is much less important than children dying. Give me a break.

I don't understand the animosity towards euslaner here. I would bet that a third of the threads in this forum have something to do with asking about compensation. Why is everyone getting bent out of shape about another one? Is euslaner any less deserving of compensation than anyone else?
Old May 9, 07, 9:45 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by United777Heavy View Post
As for the trivia fact... quote me on how that was directed at you, as I just thought it was a interesting real estate fact. Please tell me where it is directed at you, as never did I mention you.
Oh, come on, don't play dumb. There was no other reason to mention Portland at all except that the OP is from there.

That said, I do think that most posters properly and honestly responded to the OP's question of what compensation to expect when they said "none."

I don't understand what the OP hopes to achieve by initially criticizing other FTers for allegedly going "ballistic" over nut temperature, and then being offended when people tell him/her that no further compensation is due, when he/she had specifically asked for that advice, and then accusing everyone of gang-banging him/her because too many people replied to this thread agreeing with the same sentiments.

If "too many" people agree, maybe they are on to something. Which is not to say that it's right to be rude or obnoxious. But that most people do think that no compensation is due here, and repeatedly asking isn't going to change their minds or get them to apologize.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: