Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spilled juice: compensation

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 11:29 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by CJ99
After spilling juice on a pax during descent into LHR, the C-class FA apologized sincerely (at least it sounded sincere) and invited the pax to "relax in the arrivals lounge while we send your pants out to be cleaned." It was my first time in C and it really impressed me.
I like this approach -- "go sit in the lounge in your underwear while we clean your pants."

Add me to list of people who think that an apology was adequate, and a $25 certificate was more than generous. And I wouldn't defend a claim that a broken reading light should be worth $300 or less-than-hot nuts should be worth anything at all.

The broken entertainment system is a different story -- for some people (although not me), the personal entertainment system is a major reason why they purchase a business-class ticket or choose a particular airline.

Good point -- only in America!
Old May 8, 2007, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by mecabq
I like this approach -- "go sit in the lounge in your underwear while we clean your pants." ...
LOL--now you're talkin' like UA. FWIW, this was LHR, so presumably he was able to collect his luggage before handing over his pants to the lounge matrons.
Old May 8, 2007, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
$25, cleaning reimbursement, apology by FA, and lots of blankets, towels, tissues to try & help you get dry or at least not sit in a wet seat. I probably would have asked for more towels & blankets up front.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA-Gold MM, SPG Plat
A few months ago, a whole tray of pre-departure drinks was dropped on my lap by a FA. That was in on IAD-ORD on a 3 class 767 in C. Without asking for anything, I was offered a bottle of wine, and a skykit which resulted in $200 Travel Credit.

About 1 year ago on LH flying LAX-FRA in C, a FA spilled some wine on a pax a few rows in front of me. While I was a little too far away to accurately observe what went on, the crew went to great lengths to try and clean everything. The passenger also received several forms from the purser to fill out. It certainly was not "no big deal" to that LH crew.
Old May 8, 2007, 12:25 pm

I flew transatlantic a couple years ago, (to Ireland) and the AA Flight Attendant spilled a load of old drinks on me from the cart... the cart caught on something, and the 'trash' tipped over, and onto my shoulder. There was all manner of drinks in it

I got a sincere apology, a damp towel, some club soda, and help cleaning it up. I was fine. Really, it was an accident - you want to be awarded the airline or something?

Now, attitude is something different. If they hadn't apologized or tried to help clean it up, i would have been more upset.

BTW, the same airline, on the trip back - also got some drink spilled on me. Just call me 'swampy'
Old May 8, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
[QUOTE=euslaner;7706848]
Originally Posted by euslaner
Rest of the flight was good (though it might have been nice if our water glasses were refilled)
None of the threads you quoted about "warm nuts" had the OP asking for compensation, that is the difference.

I guess sitting around FRA for several hours with wet pants is not as bad as having to use the main reading light.
So how much money do YOU think would be fair compensation for a passenger spilling a drink on you and a flight attendant putting a drink down where it might spill?

If the first spill had nothing to do with UA staff, isn't it irrelevant? Maybe you should have gotten his name and address and brought him to small claims court.

Are you an attorney?

Rest of the flight was good (though it might have been nice if our water glasses were refilled)
Welcome to UA international C-class! I fly every month ORD-NRT (13 hours) and my empty water glass is ususally refilled 0 or 1 times per flight without me asking. What do you think is adequate compensation for my parched throat?

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; May 8, 2007 at 12:43 pm
Old May 8, 2007, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I guess sitting around FRA for several hours with wet pants is not as bad as having to use the main reading light.
Let's get this straight... so you recognize that compensation for those incidents you cite are ridiculous, and you want your compensation to be just as (if not more) ridiculous?
Old May 8, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
The FA should have offered her skirt in exchange for your pants for the remainder of the flight.
Old May 8, 2007, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by zorn
The FA should have offered her skirt in exchange for your pants for the remainder of the flight.
ROFLMAO!
Old May 8, 2007, 12:46 pm

Your original post said "what compensation might I expect". I think the group here has told you what compensation they think you deserve. Nothing.

But what can you expect when you write a letter detailing how your seatmate spilled a drink on you and the FA put one down where it might spill? I would expect UA staff to get a nice laugh, then throw you something ($25 domestic cert) in an envelope with a form letter. But who knows, if people get $400 for a broken light, maybe wet sweatpants are worth thousands!

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; May 8, 2007 at 12:58 pm
Old May 8, 2007, 12:59 pm

Your original post said "what compensation might I expect". I think the group here has told you what compensation you deserve. Nothing.

But what can you expect when you write a letter detailing how your seatmate spilled a drink on you and the FA put one down where it might spill? I would expect UA staff to get a nice laugh, then throw you something ($25 domestic cert) in an envelope with a form letter. But who knows, if people get $400 for a broken light, maybe wet sweatpants during your flight are worth thousands!
Old May 8, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
I would expect UA staff to get a nice laugh, then throw you something ($25 domestic cert) in an envelope with a form letter.
http://www.untied.com/

^
Old May 8, 2007, 1:36 pm

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Cool

What I have noticed is when something goes wrong, no mater how small it is, the first thing that comes to mind is what compensation should I get. Come on and get a life!!! Is this what we have come to?

Two years ago on a CO flight from EWR-MCO, while we were at the gate, the FA spilled my Gin and Tonic on my pants. I smiled at her becuase I knew it was an accident. She then came back and spilled it again. The only thing I could do was start to laugh. Was I upset? No. She did not do it on purpose. She was so embarrased by this that she was afraid to serve me dinner during the flifght for fear she may spill it on me. For the rest of the flight, hew service was flawless. She was so apologetice and did everything she could to make my seat comfortable.

As for compensation, I did not ask for any. I did not expect any since it was an accident. I have seen so many FT'ers ask for compensation for the most trivial things. Accidents happen, and if you travel a lot you will have a great chance to experience them.

I think the OP received just compensation for what happened. Oh, by the way, I am an attorney.
Old May 8, 2007, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mecabq
I like this approach -- "go sit in the lounge in your underwear while we clean your pants."

Add me to list of people who think that an apology was adequate, and a $25 certificate was more than generous. And I wouldn't defend a claim that a broken reading light should be worth $300 or less-than-hot nuts should be worth anything at all.

Good point -- only in America!
I had hot (but not boiling) water spilled on me on an AS flight (while I was sleeping -- that was a way to wakeup!)

They gave me $25 or 500 miles (I didn't even ask) and the FA volunteered to buy me a drink.

Seemed reasonable to me honestly as there was no lasting damage.
if it had been something like tea which can stain, or had actually left some more permanant damage than some irritated skin, I might have cared more.
Old May 8, 2007, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
your seat mate should've offered you a shout wipe, UA gave you way more than they should've

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.