spilled juice: compensation

Old May 8, 07, 8:20 am

Spills happen

I don't see that any compensation is due...other than the $25 goodwill cert, which even then didn't have to be issued. What happened was a minor accident, not a disservice. And I am also not clear how your pants remained soaking wet...the relative humidity in a cabin is very low, and I have had spills dry in 10-15 minutes. Sorry not to be more sympathetic, but I have had been dealt many accidental spills in C and F, and it something one has to contend with while flying.

BTW, trick learned from an FA...carry a few Shout! pads in your carryon. I've been able to treat red wine spills using them, such that there is no trace of the spill after it comes back from the dry cleaners

Last edited by ButIsItArt; May 8, 07 at 8:29 am
Old May 8, 07, 8:23 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Nylon??
Old May 8, 07, 8:34 am

Programs: N/A
That's a very disturbing trend... soon, we'll be seeing:

"Flight arrives 12 minutes late. Compensation?"
"Crying baby on flight. Compensation?"
"BenjaminNYC next to me. Compensation?"
Old May 8, 07, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by euslaner View Post
Sorry if I offended anyone, but the OJ spilling was the fault of the FA. The other passenger didn't even have a chance to touch the OJ before it tipped over and spilled over me (it was placed on the crack between the arm rest and the tray).

And before you get all over me: (1) for several hours my pants remained wet and I was rather uncomfortable; (2) many of you folks have gone ballistic if your reading light goes out and heaven forbid if your TV monitor has failed (this has happened to me more than once and I never asked for anything);and (3) many of the posters on this forum go ballistic if their nuts are not heated to their liking (which strikes me as childish at best).

So cold nuts and a broken reading light are more troublesome than sitting around FRA airport with wet pants?
If it was so bothersome why didnt You simply go to the lav get some tissues or paper towels and put them inside your pants where it was wet???? Ive done it numerous times. Usually Im wearing my Dockers when I fly, Id Never think of asking for any type of Compensation. If it was a suit or wool pants that were stained and must be sent to a dry cleaners thats soemthing else, but thats worth what $5 today??
Old May 8, 07, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Wiggums View Post
"BenjaminNYC next to me. Compensation?"
Some folks might say sitting next to BJ is compensation
Old May 8, 07, 9:28 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
In the words of Judge Smails:

"YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!!!"

Old May 8, 07, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ButIsItArt View Post
Some folks might say sitting next to BJ is compensation
^^^
Old May 8, 07, 10:25 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
This thread is just silly. Soon we will see a thread compensation for wetting my pants because the FA told me to take my seat when we were taking off.
Old May 8, 07, 10:34 am

To play the devil's advocate, I saw something like this handled very differently on AA a few years ago. After spilling juice on a pax during descent into LHR, the C-class FA apologized sincerely (at least it sounded sincere) and invited the pax to "relax in the arrivals lounge while we send your pants out to be cleaned." It was my first time in C and it really impressed me.
Old May 8, 07, 10:52 am

I'm surprised so many people think the op is wrong. If the FA spilled juice on the passenger then not only should he/she be apologizing profusely, he should make every effort to help the passenger feel more comfortable again (ie getting tissues etc). Moreover, they should offer to send the pants out for cleaning.

The fact that the FA who's at fault did not act as such is good reason to ask for more compensation. I would like to compare flying to dining in a reputable restaurant. If something like this happened at a quality restaurant, the restaurant would probably compensate one way or another considering its reputation is at stake. Same goes for United.

It's ridiculous that some people think the op deserves zero compensation. Giving no compensation for an FA error would be the same as telling the FAs that spilling drinks on passengers is OK.
Old May 8, 07, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by charliek44 View Post
I'm surprised so many people think the op is wrong. If the FA spilled juice on the passenger then not only should he/she be apologizing profusely, he should make every effort to help the passenger feel more comfortable again (ie getting tissues etc). Moreover, they should offer to send the pants out for cleaning.

The fact that the FA who's at fault did not act as such is good reason to ask for more compensation. I would like to compare flying to dining in a reputable restaurant. If something like this happened at a quality restaurant, the restaurant would probably compensate one way or another considering its reputation is at stake. Same goes for United.

It's ridiculous that some people think the op deserves zero compensation. Giving no compensation for an FA error would be the same as telling the FAs that spilling drinks on passengers is OK.
Thank you. While reading these attacks on me, I did some searches and found one thread on a $400 compensation for a broken reading light (you do have two sets of lights in C) and another for $300 for a broken entertainment system (not the same one as the many complaints about the terrible movies that UA shows) and at least three posts moaning,not always in jest, about the lack of warm nuts (including at least one poster who threatened to desert to UA and was cheered on):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=warm+nuts

I guess sitting around FRA for several hours with wet pants is not as bad as having to use the main reading light.
Old May 8, 07, 11:23 am

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
People, be nice pls.

How would you feel if your pants got wet by OJ for several hours....
Old May 8, 07, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
How would you feel if your pants got wet by OJ for several hours....
Did he stick around and apologize or run off in a white Ford Bronco before being acquitted of ever having made your pants wet in the first place?

(...okay, that was pretty bad, but someone needed to say something!)
Old May 8, 07, 11:38 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by euslaner View Post
Sorry if I offended anyone, but the OJ spilling was the fault of the FA. The other passenger didn't even have a chance to touch the OJ before it tipped over and spilled over me (it was placed on the crack between the arm rest and the tray).

And before you get all over me: (1) for several hours my pants remained wet and I was rather uncomfortable; (2) many of you folks have gone ballistic if your reading light goes out and heaven forbid if your TV monitor has failed (this has happened to me more than once and I never asked for anything);and (3) many of the posters on this forum go ballistic if their nuts are not heated to their liking (which strikes me as childish at best).

So cold nuts and a broken reading light are more troublesome than sitting around FRA airport with wet pants?
You need to get a sense of perspective, imo. No offense of course.
If you can't differentiate between an obvious accident and inoperable parts of your seat, then... well, I dunno. You can't be helped.

Some OJ was spilled on your pants.
[Newman]Oh, the humanity![/Newman]
Old May 8, 07, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
After spilling juice on a pax during descent into LHR, the C-class FA apologized sincerely (at least it sounded sincere) and invited the pax to "relax in the arrivals lounge while we send your pants out to be cleaned." It was my first time in C and it really impressed me.
I like this approach -- "go sit in the lounge in your underwear while we clean your pants."

Add me to list of people who think that an apology was adequate, and a $25 certificate was more than generous. And I wouldn't defend a claim that a broken reading light should be worth $300 or less-than-hot nuts should be worth anything at all.

The broken entertainment system is a different story -- for some people (although not me), the personal entertainment system is a major reason why they purchase a business-class ticket or choose a particular airline.

Good point -- only in America!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: