spilled juice: compensation

 
Old May 8, 07, 8:20 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pre-9/11 America
Posts: 5,115
Spills happen

I don't see that any compensation is due...other than the $25 goodwill cert, which even then didn't have to be issued. What happened was a minor accident, not a disservice. And I am also not clear how your pants remained soaking wet...the relative humidity in a cabin is very low, and I have had spills dry in 10-15 minutes. Sorry not to be more sympathetic, but I have had been dealt many accidental spills in C and F, and it something one has to contend with while flying.

BTW, trick learned from an FA...carry a few Shout! pads in your carryon. I've been able to treat red wine spills using them, such that there is no trace of the spill after it comes back from the dry cleaners

Last edited by ButIsItArt; May 8, 07 at 8:29 am
ButIsItArt is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 8:23 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Posts: 6,070
Nylon??
LHR Tim is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 8:34 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SNA
Programs: N/A
Posts: 3,294
That's a very disturbing trend... soon, we'll be seeing:

"Flight arrives 12 minutes late. Compensation?"
"Crying baby on flight. Compensation?"
"BenjaminNYC next to me. Compensation?"
Wiggums is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 8:41 am
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,232
Originally Posted by euslaner View Post
Sorry if I offended anyone, but the OJ spilling was the fault of the FA. The other passenger didn't even have a chance to touch the OJ before it tipped over and spilled over me (it was placed on the crack between the arm rest and the tray).

And before you get all over me: (1) for several hours my pants remained wet and I was rather uncomfortable; (2) many of you folks have gone ballistic if your reading light goes out and heaven forbid if your TV monitor has failed (this has happened to me more than once and I never asked for anything);and (3) many of the posters on this forum go ballistic if their nuts are not heated to their liking (which strikes me as childish at best).

So cold nuts and a broken reading light are more troublesome than sitting around FRA airport with wet pants?
If it was so bothersome why didnt You simply go to the lav get some tissues or paper towels and put them inside your pants where it was wet???? Ive done it numerous times. Usually Im wearing my Dockers when I fly, Id Never think of asking for any type of Compensation. If it was a suit or wool pants that were stained and must be sent to a dry cleaners thats soemthing else, but thats worth what $5 today??
craz is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 9:27 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pre-9/11 America
Posts: 5,115
Originally Posted by Wiggums View Post
"BenjaminNYC next to me. Compensation?"
Some folks might say sitting next to BJ is compensation
ButIsItArt is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 9:28 am
  #21  
Used to be 'g_leyser'
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Land of Lightfoot
Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Posts: 9,737
In the words of Judge Smails:

"YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!!!"



aisleorwindow is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 9:55 am
  #22  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,769
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt View Post
Some folks might say sitting next to BJ is compensation
^^^
BenjaminNYC is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 10:25 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ORD
Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 2,556
This thread is just silly. Soon we will see a thread compensation for wetting my pants because the FA told me to take my seat when we were taking off.
bschaff1 is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 10:34 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 748
To play the devil's advocate, I saw something like this handled very differently on AA a few years ago. After spilling juice on a pax during descent into LHR, the C-class FA apologized sincerely (at least it sounded sincere) and invited the pax to "relax in the arrivals lounge while we send your pants out to be cleaned." It was my first time in C and it really impressed me.
CJ99 is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 10:52 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
I'm surprised so many people think the op is wrong. If the FA spilled juice on the passenger then not only should he/she be apologizing profusely, he should make every effort to help the passenger feel more comfortable again (ie getting tissues etc). Moreover, they should offer to send the pants out for cleaning.

The fact that the FA who's at fault did not act as such is good reason to ask for more compensation. I would like to compare flying to dining in a reputable restaurant. If something like this happened at a quality restaurant, the restaurant would probably compensate one way or another considering its reputation is at stake. Same goes for United.

It's ridiculous that some people think the op deserves zero compensation. Giving no compensation for an FA error would be the same as telling the FAs that spilling drinks on passengers is OK.
charliek44 is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 11:02 am
  #26  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Potomac MD
Programs: UA MP 1K
Posts: 7,166
Originally Posted by charliek44 View Post
I'm surprised so many people think the op is wrong. If the FA spilled juice on the passenger then not only should he/she be apologizing profusely, he should make every effort to help the passenger feel more comfortable again (ie getting tissues etc). Moreover, they should offer to send the pants out for cleaning.

The fact that the FA who's at fault did not act as such is good reason to ask for more compensation. I would like to compare flying to dining in a reputable restaurant. If something like this happened at a quality restaurant, the restaurant would probably compensate one way or another considering its reputation is at stake. Same goes for United.

It's ridiculous that some people think the op deserves zero compensation. Giving no compensation for an FA error would be the same as telling the FAs that spilling drinks on passengers is OK.
Thank you. While reading these attacks on me, I did some searches and found one thread on a $400 compensation for a broken reading light (you do have two sets of lights in C) and another for $300 for a broken entertainment system (not the same one as the many complaints about the terrible movies that UA shows) and at least three posts moaning,not always in jest, about the lack of warm nuts (including at least one poster who threatened to desert to UA and was cheered on):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=warm+nuts

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=warm+nuts

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=warm+nuts

I guess sitting around FRA for several hours with wet pants is not as bad as having to use the main reading light.
euslaner is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 11:23 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: BOS, PVG
Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 8,813
People, be nice pls.

How would you feel if your pants got wet by OJ for several hours....
kb1992 is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 11:27 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,471
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
How would you feel if your pants got wet by OJ for several hours....
Did he stick around and apologize or run off in a white Ford Bronco before being acquitted of ever having made your pants wet in the first place?

(...okay, that was pretty bad, but someone needed to say something!)
xj47 is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 11:38 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT/CNX
Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Posts: 2,872
Originally Posted by euslaner View Post
Sorry if I offended anyone, but the OJ spilling was the fault of the FA. The other passenger didn't even have a chance to touch the OJ before it tipped over and spilled over me (it was placed on the crack between the arm rest and the tray).

And before you get all over me: (1) for several hours my pants remained wet and I was rather uncomfortable; (2) many of you folks have gone ballistic if your reading light goes out and heaven forbid if your TV monitor has failed (this has happened to me more than once and I never asked for anything);and (3) many of the posters on this forum go ballistic if their nuts are not heated to their liking (which strikes me as childish at best).

So cold nuts and a broken reading light are more troublesome than sitting around FRA airport with wet pants?
You need to get a sense of perspective, imo. No offense of course.
If you can't differentiate between an obvious accident and inoperable parts of your seat, then... well, I dunno. You can't be helped.

Some OJ was spilled on your pants.
[Newman]Oh, the humanity![/Newman]
PSUhorty is offline  
Old May 8, 07, 12:29 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United Arab Emirates & Arizona, USA
Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
Posts: 4,252
Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
After spilling juice on a pax during descent into LHR, the C-class FA apologized sincerely (at least it sounded sincere) and invited the pax to "relax in the arrivals lounge while we send your pants out to be cleaned." It was my first time in C and it really impressed me.
I like this approach -- "go sit in the lounge in your underwear while we clean your pants."

Add me to list of people who think that an apology was adequate, and a $25 certificate was more than generous. And I wouldn't defend a claim that a broken reading light should be worth $300 or less-than-hot nuts should be worth anything at all.

The broken entertainment system is a different story -- for some people (although not me), the personal entertainment system is a major reason why they purchase a business-class ticket or choose a particular airline.

Good point -- only in America!
mecabq is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: