spilled juice: compensation

Old Jul 14, 10, 9:06 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
I plan to, but wanted to have a day's rest beforehand (just got back this morning) so that my note to them is remotely coherent. Obviously, I don't plan to bring up things like the purser gifting the NRSA--really had nothing to do with my issue, but made for an bizarre extra anecdote to share here.
I would mention that part, just because it indicates that the purser's priority was not customer service, and that she should have given your issue more time/attention.
Old Jul 14, 10, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer View Post
I would mention that part, just because it indicates that the purser's priority was not customer service, and that she should have given your issue more time/attention.
I agree with that--though I think I'll be able to make that point without bringing in what was likely an irrelevant specific detail (the gift exchange). It's even mostly (but just mostly) irrelevant to me that it was an NRSA who spilled, as it could have been any pax. (I say "just mostly" as clearly the fact the pax was a fellow UA FA seemed to affect the priorities the on-duty staff had.)

It's the response from UA's FAs that was lacking, and that's what you're hitting at, I believe. A day's rest later, and I'm actually pretty annoyed now that not once after bringing by a couple of napkins did the FA or purser ever check back. No, "Is there anything else we can do?" No, "Were those napkins enough?" Etc. Getting ready for landing and no, "Sorry again, Mr. Exerda, and I do hope the stains come out," etc.

Reminds me of a thread we had a while back with a FA asking what it took to get a GTEM, and here (particularly after the contrast of an earlier flight on the itin in which I did give out GTEMs!) the staff simply dropped the ball and were just "phoning it in," so to speak.
Old Jul 20, 10, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Heard back from 1KVoice; most of the e-mail is pretty boilerplate, as expected, but I am surprised that they offered to reimburse for dry cleaning. (FWIW, I managed to get the stains out pretty well at home on my own with a couple of launderings and plenty of washing soda--sodium carbonate--thank goodness, so no need to take UA up on that; I'm pretty surprised they came clean, or that UA offered to pay for cleaning.)

Originally Posted by 1K Voice
Please accept my apologies that we did not serve you better on flight xxx from San Francisco to Washington Dulles. We realize that at times we are not doing as well as we should be in serving our guests. You should be able to rely on us to provide you with an enjoyable flight that is correctly staffed, a comfortable cabin temperature, entertainment systems in good working condition, and amenities such as pillow and reading material. As a gesture of our goodwill, please accept the attached $200 electronic travel certificate.

We can review and consider reimbursement for your dry cleaning by faxing us at 877 xxx-xxxx or mailing your receipt to:

[UA Address]

As a 1K member of our Mileage Plus Program, your candid feedback - whether positive or negative - is appreciated as this allows us to monitor onboard products and services and share your comments with management responsible for our in-flight operations so they can understand how your onboard experience felt from your point of view. Please give us an opportunity to provide you the service you expect from United Airlines.
Old Jul 20, 10, 4:21 pm

Programs: Former 11 yr UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD Diamante, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Had a NRSA FA wake me in the middle of a red-eye by spilling her just-refilled wine on me. Working FA tried to help clean up, but that's a ton of red wine and UA's napkins & tablecloths just aren't that absorbent. Even using club soda, I am betting the clothes are goners.

No sky kit offered and I should have been more demanding; my, "So I don't get one because she was off-duty?" got only a chuckle. Purser came by later, but it was to gift the NRSA a bottle of champagne.

Here I had just handed out several GTEMs this trip and then I'm reminded of just how inconsistent UA can be.
Good to hear things came clean. . My recent experience, DCA-ORD on July 17. the pax next to me in 2A gets a glass of white (fortunately) wine, then gets up to use the toilet and knocks the entire contents over my legs. And that was the beginning of my trip to Brazil. Figured if the aroma didn't disappear I'd tell future seatmates that I grew grapes for a living. .

Since no UA personnel were involved, I didn't even think about any type of compensation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: