Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Using Cancelled Ticket to Pay for United Codeshare

Old May 6, 2007, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards

I recently cancelled a nonrefundable itinerary that was made up of United and United codeshare flights. Can I apply the value of this ticket (minus the $100 change fee) to the purchase of a United codeshare flight or must my new itinerary be on UA/UX metal only?
Old May 6, 2007, 8:44 pm

Ticket Credits

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
I recently cancelled a nonrefundable itinerary that was made up of United and United codeshare flights. Can I apply the value of this ticket (minus the $100 change fee) to the purchase of a United codeshare flight or must my new itinerary be on UA/UX metal only?
Your best bet is to rebook with the same codeshare type flights that were in the original itin. Like lets say it was a UA operated by US Air. or UA operated by Lufthansa. Rebook what was originally in it and you should be fine. Just make sure that the ticket numbers begin with 016, otherwise that involves another situation.

The credit itself will last 1 year from the date that it was originally ticketed on. So lets say 20 FEB 2007 was when you purchased your ticket, and got ticketed, then 1 year from that date.
Old May 6, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA1P/AA/B6
As long as you book through United, so a ticket on UA stock, it doesn't matter if it is codeshare or not.
Old May 7, 2007, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
A related question: can you use the value of a refundable fare to pay for a non-refundable ticket, paying the difference if the nonrefundable fare happens to be more expensive than the refundable one is?

In particular, I'm looking to use the value of a refundable domestic ticket to help pay for a nonrefundable international United codeshare flight.

I know I could just refund the refundable fare, but I'd rather go about it this way.
Old May 7, 2007, 8:47 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by droopyUA
As long as you book through United, so a ticket on UA stock, it doesn't matter if it is codeshare or not.
This has been my experience on AA; I think on UA it would be the same.

Similar situation would apply if you had a mixed carrier itinerary (i.e. UA and DL flights) issued on a 016 ticket. The new ticket doesn't need to contain DL flights and you only have to pay one UA change fee.
Old May 7, 2007, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
can you use the value of a refundable fare to pay for a non-refundable ticket, paying the difference if the nonrefundable fare happens to be more expensive than the refundable one is?
Yes. Why would think otherwise?
Old May 20, 2009, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Does anyone know the answer for sure?

Can I use a cancelled ticket (credit) to rebook on an United codeshare (operated by US airways)??

Old May 20, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Does anyone know the answer for sure?

Can I use a cancelled ticket (credit) to rebook on an United codeshare (operated by US airways)??

yes, you can. You can also use the Ua ticket for flights that are not codeshares.

Btw, the change fee is typically $150, not $100!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.