Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD-Dubai to start soon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
I'm sure IAD has much better O & D, you can always connect to IAD from ORD. Also it seems UA is building up IAD internationally, they've finally realized ORD is maxed out.
I would have to disagree here. Dubai is about business, not government. Chicago is much more of a business hub and would likely have much more O&D than Washington.

But, I agree, ORD is maxed out.

However, if UA doesn't offer the flight, I suspect Emirates will in the future.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
While Dubai is about business, basing the flight in IAD means you would also get all the government business heading elsewhere in the Gulf, East Africa, and most of South-East Asia.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
Don't forget cargo... that's the money maker for KWI, so I'd imagine they'd have some notable revenue in the belly going back and forth from DXB.

Either way, I'm on the first flight out there if and when they launch.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Wireless
Don't forget cargo... that's the money maker for KWI, so I'd imagine they'd have some notable revenue in the belly going back and forth from DXB.

Mr. Tilton would expect nothing less!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:58 pm

I sure hopes this pans out and price wise they are in same range as EK, my problem with EK is no status miles with any other airlines in US, so this would work, and i can connect through DXB using EK. Delta is starting similar service out of atlanta but prices much higher than EK.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777
I agree. KWI is a temporary destination at best. UA should try to build a IAD-DXB route instead and fly IAD-DXB-KWI-DXB-IAD like sadiqhassan says.

DXB is a business destination and has great connections to India and other destinations, KWI is not a large business destination, nor does it have many connection possibilities and the Iraq was will end soon (I hope)
I disagree. Both DXB and KWI will be very imporatant routes in the near and long term future. Assuming for a moment that the US starts to pull back troops from Iraq - there is still a TON of traffic for business development that will be going into the country for the next decade plus. Also, don't forget how little of the overall govt traffic is going to Iraq versus other locations in the region that are using KWI as a jumping off point.

Don't get me wrong - DXB will be huge, and US alludes to that - but KWi will be here for a long time to come. I'd be willing to bet the route will go daily within 12 months from now - IAD-KWI-DXB-KWI-IAD.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:23 pm

A DXB- US anywhere will be a welcome relief for frequent Middle East travelers. When I fly home to LAX from either KWI or DXB via LHR, AMS, or FRA, the flights are always packed and there are plenty of American's transfering on home. There's no need to go through KWI since there are plenty of pax to support both routes. Now we just need Emirates to join SA and the system will be great for Middle East travelers! The earlier post is correct, it's not tourism from the US that supports these routes but business, military, general contractors, and development travelers that keep the flights packed.
Old May 1, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mymiles2go
I disagree. Both DXB and KWI will be very imporatant routes in the near and long term future. Assuming for a moment that the US starts to pull back troops from Iraq - there is still a TON of traffic for business development that will be going into the country for the next decade plus. Also, don't forget how little of the overall govt traffic is going to Iraq versus other locations in the region that are using KWI as a jumping off point.

Don't get me wrong - DXB will be huge, and US alludes to that - but KWi will be here for a long time to come. I'd be willing to bet the route will go daily within 12 months from now - IAD-KWI-DXB-KWI-IAD.
I think the reasont that IAD-KWI via DXB would work better (even though it is quite a bit of extra flying for KWI pax) is for 2 reasons

i) competition.

KWI has few competitors flying nonstop from the US (only KU(?) who fly 6 x weekly from New York)

ii) connections.

One one the reasons Dubai has become such a succesful hub IMHO is because it offers connections from Europe/North America to all the major cities in Australia/Indian Subcontinent/Far East Asia/ Africa (I know people that fly ACC-DXB-JFK and EK actually offers a competitive fare!) KWI isn't nearly as developed as a hub.

For passengers going on to Asia, a 2 stop journey via DXB and KWI will not be as appealing as a 1 stop via Europe.

However, if UA is aiming solely at O/D pax and pax connecting at IAD, then IAD-KWI-DXB-KWI-IAD will probably work better.

Cheers
Old May 1, 2007, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Itlan
Now we just need Emirates to join SA and the system will be great for Middle East travelers!
That would be very cool if it happened, but I think Emirates (EK) would be hesitant to join any alliance, since it would be almost forced into giving up premium cabin seats for *A awards/upgrades. I know, I know, it's tough to get an award on SQ, and it would be just as tough to get one on EK if it joined *A, but look at it this way: if EK charges thousands of $$ for the premium products, and the cabins are full, why give it away for free?
The real question there is: does EK think it can continue to be a "standalone" carrier and attract pax solely on the route and product offerings, or will it see a need to integrate more with other carriers?
Old May 1, 2007, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Will UA put out a press release on this?
Old May 1, 2007, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Of course there will be a press release. They will play it up the same as the announcements of the KWI routing.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Benny8444
Will UA put out a press release on this?
Obviously the details are still being hammered out...
Old May 1, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Wireless

Very true. I know that the Navy sends a lot of cargo to DXB for the US Navy battlegroups that are supported at Mina Jabal Ali. I wouldn't be surprised if it was sufficent to support a non-stop from CONUS in addition to the non-stop that goes to KWI.
Old May 1, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by haddon90
my guess will be it will be a direct flight, UA981/982 that goes to KWI. it's on the ground for quite a long time. i doubt UA can sustain a flight to KWI and DXB from IAD at the same time. but who knows

You may not have noticed, but there's this little thing going on in the country next to Kuwait. Lots of Americans there, mostly government.

I don't think they'll have any problem filling these up.

Old May 1, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Count me in as among those who'd be excited about this. I agree with the posters who question the ability of UA IAD-DXB to compete with other premium products, especially if it's IAD-KWI-DXB, hindering the value of the route for connections onward from DXB.

Also, Qatar Airways, possibly the best airline in the world (along with SQ) (and superior to Emirates in my limited experience, which does not include long-haul), announced that it is beginning service from DOH to NYC and IAD (unclear whether it would be separate flights or a continuation). Either way, that's another option against which UA would have difficulty competing, for all travelers except those of us who are loyal to UA and want the miles/status/SWUs/etc.

And there is a fair bit of government business that might come out of this. DXB is also the major entry point from the West to Afghanistan, for what it's worth, as well as the greater Middle East/South Asia/East Africa market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.