Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD-Dubai to start soon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:46 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by holtju2
We all know that they are not getting any new planes in the foreseeable future.
Glad to see that these new planes won't be "rotten" when they arrive ^
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:06 am

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
My opinion is that the route would operate with the 772, not the 744. It is much easier to fill the 772, and UA will likely opt to be conservative at the route's inception.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:32 am

The a/c will probably be the one being pulled from HNL-KIX later this year.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:40 am

Programs: UA1K
my guess will be it will be a direct flight, UA981/982 that goes to KWI. it's on the ground for quite a long time. i doubt UA can sustain a flight to KWI and DXB from IAD at the same time. but who knows
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haddon90
my guess will be it will be a direct flight, UA981/982 that goes to KWI. it's on the ground for quite a long time. i doubt UA can sustain a flight to KWI and DXB from IAD at the same time. but who knows
I was thinking the same thing. Either way, this is great news, as I have always wanted to visit DXB! ^
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
This is indeed great news...It's always tough to fly through FRA on LH, especially since the flight to DXB is in the early afternoon, leaving several hours for many TATL connections inbound.

Great way to compete with DL as well, since they have recently started (will be starting?) nonstop service to DXB from ATL. Obviously UA won't be able to compete with EK; but nice to have choices for more US-based airlines to that part of the world ^
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I think a KWI tag is the most likely, at least to start. The KWI flight arrives at 5:05pm and doesn't turn back around the the US until 11:25pm. That is over 6 hours they have to do a ~1.5 hour each way flight. This should be very possible! ^

Note that TG already flies DXB-KWI-DXB daily, but the KWI-DXB direction is the only reasonable connection to/from the UA KWI flight.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I hope this won't bring problems with the partnership with EK just like DL had when it started DXB service, but OTOH UA does not issue awards on the US-DXB EK flights.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I don't think this is a good move. Its succesful for EK b/c they have connections to many places from DXB, while for US carriers they would pax from Canada, US & Mexico. And I don't really see much demand for that happening soon. Plus can UA match EK's premium products?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Would this mean the future entry of Emirates in Star Alliance ?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Plus can UA match EK's premium products?
No.
Originally Posted by couscous
Would this mean the future entry of Emirates in Star Alliance ?
No.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by haddon90
The article claims it is a direct flight, not a non-stop, which would allude to it being a tag off the IAD-KWI flight. As far as it being direct from NYC to DXB, UA still has at least 1 flight a day from LGA. Changing the flight number on the LGA-IAD flight could build a 2-stop "direct flight" from LGA to DBX.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I would guess that the flight goes daily and upgraded to a 747. Iad-Kwi-Dxb
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by C-5Crewdog
The article claims it is a direct flight, not a non-stop, which would allude to it being a tag off the IAD-KWI flight.
Members of the media and even UA also called the IAD-PEK route a direct service, but I think it will be a tag off of KWI
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by C-5Crewdog
The article claims it is a direct flight, not a non-stop, which would allude to it being a tag off the IAD-KWI flight. As far as it being direct from NYC to DXB, UA still has at least 1 flight a day from LGA. Changing the flight number on the LGA-IAD flight could build a 2-stop "direct flight" from LGA to DBX.
That same article also says that "UA already flies to Kuwait direct from Washington," so I have no reason to believe that the author knows the difference between direct and nonstop.

If I am not mistaken, under the rules of the "Fly America Act," an available IAD-KWI-DXB routing would require US government employees and contractors to fly UA.

US government employees and contracts are only permitted to fly a foreign flag carrier under certain circumstances, such as the following. The existence of IAD-KWI-DXB would definitely prohibit them fly flying EK.
Travel between points outside the U.S. Use of a Foreign Carrier is permissible if:
• Travel by foreign carrier would eliminate two (2) or more aircraft changes en route; or
• Travel by U.S. carrier would extend the total travel time six (6) hours or more than would travel by foreign carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.