Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-CLT: Am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
SFO-CLT: Am I Crazy?

Have to fly SFO-CLT roundtrip 20-25 May. Am I completely crazy to want to avoid the US non-stop? I feel like I should have my head examined.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:50 pm

Programs: United
I did this on US in Aug 06 and for $99 at gate did the upgrade to First. Upgrade probably wasn't worth it b/c their domestic first was mostly more disappointing that UA domestic first, but meh.

Otherwise, uneventful. Not particularly better/worse than UA.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 2:27 am

Programs: UA MM / Plat
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
Have to fly SFO-CLT roundtrip 20-25 May. Am I completely crazy to want to avoid the US non-stop? I feel like I should have my head examined.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
If you take the non-stop, you'll only be losing out on "Butt-In-Seat" (BIS) miles, which count towards earning 500 mile upgrades, CR1-s, and Million Miler Status. Otherwise, the miles you earn here are the same as you'd get on United metal, including any elite bonuses. Of course, if you don't fly non-stop, you'll earn marginally more miles by virtue of a more circuitous route. SFO-IAD-CLT would offer the most miles each way for a one-stop itinerary on UA metal (~2900).

Personally, I'd stick with the nonstop US flight if you can put up/ignore their tacky service. The exit row seats on their A321s can be reserved in advance and are even better than E+ on UA. The whole ordeal is over in 4.5 hours anyway...
Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:18 pm

I've done SFO-CLT and SFO-PHL in both directions on US both in F and in Y. It's not really that bad as it's only a 5 hour flight and US service is not nearly as abysmal as many folks seem to think it is. Granted, I've done 14 hours in Y on QF in a middle seat on a packed plane twice in a week, so nothing seems too bad anymore.

Now 5 hours on WN with no mileage accrual and singing flight attendants, that would be crazy.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
The problem with SFO-IAD-CLT is that you inevitably have to connect to a UX Mesa flight, typically one of the (if not THE) last of the night. In other words, your connection will be severely delayed or cancelled, if you have my luck.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:05 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by brendog
Now 5 hours on WN with no mileage accrual and singing flight attendants, that would be crazy.
I have done 4-hour flights on WN. The flight attendants do not sing the whole flight.

I generally get better seats on WN than on UA (without status). WN's seats are also slightly larger than UA's E- seats. Also, WN flies into less delay prone airports (e.g. OAK-MDW instead of SFO-ORD). Customer service on WN is generally good all around.

WN's frequent flyer program is not so good for long haul flyers, though. A 4-hour flight gives the same 1 point that a 50-minute flight does. And those looking for first or business class seats won't find them on WN.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Take US

I would take the US Air direct flight. I have found service to be generally good on US Air, especially if you get a CLT based crew.

If the load is light, you may be able to get a F/C upgrade for less than $99. My friend recently flew from CLT-SFO and the gate agent offered upgrades for $99. When there were no takers, she went down to $75. Finally, my friend went up to the podium and said, "I'll give you $50 for an upgrade." She refused, but called him over a few minutes later and sold him the upgrade for $50.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:44 am

Programs: DL PM,UA MP(former 1K), Hertz 5*G, National Emerald Club, SPG, Marriott Silver
Did the redeye SFO-CLT in February in Y...will do it again in August. Let me just say that the people (not the service which was largely undistinguished with grumpy FAs) were wierd! I cannot imagine a worse group to be on a red eye with. These px definitely did not understand the philosophy of the redeye!!! Good luck with it though. At least it was close to ontime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.