Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Mainline returns to Vegas!!!!!!!!!!! [Merged Threads]

Old Apr 20, 07, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

I did a search, but hadn't found anyone else posting that it looks like they've returned some mainline service in and out of LAS.

A month or so ago, I booked a RT IAD-LAS for 9-14 Jul. I was unable to connect both flights through DEN (for mainline seating); I ended up booking IAD-ORD-LAS-DEN-IAD so that I could upgrade at least a portion of the flight time.
As it turns out, we had a schedule change. Lo and behold, my ORD-LAS leg is on mainline!!! Suweet!!! I already upgraded on flight 1267, burning a couple of CR-1 for my wife and me.
Old Apr 20, 07, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold,HH Diamond, SPG,
I have to do a LAS trip in June from CMH. I just looked and couldn't find any mainline flights from ORD or DEN.
Oh well, guess it is Ted for me.
Old Apr 20, 07, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
This happened DEN-LAS for a while on Saturdays in the winter. A single A320 non-TED.

For ORD-LAS, it appears to be last flight out, which overnights in LAS and then returns early morning LAS-ORD.

Also a judicious use of 500-milers, as the flight mileage is 1515.
Old Apr 20, 07, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Must be a one-off. I did an all-points search for a few random days in June, July and August and am only seeing Ted and UX (EM2).
Old Apr 20, 07, 11:56 am

Programs: HA Platinum
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
This happened DEN-LAS for a while on Saturdays in the winter. A single A320 non-TED.

For ORD-LAS, it appears to be last flight out, which overnights in LAS and then returns early morning LAS-ORD.

Also a judicious use of 500-milers, as the flight mileage is 1515.

Can you tell me what the rule of thumb is for the use of 500-milers? At what point do they require 4 versus 3?
Old Apr 20, 07, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by gs-flyer View Post
Can you tell me what the rule of thumb is for the use of 500-milers? At what point do they require 4 versus 3?
50 mile grace (for entire mileage, not each 500) a trip this is 1552 requires 4 500's, a trip that is 1548 requires 3.
Old Apr 20, 07, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by CMHtoORDtoAnywhere View Post
I have to do a LAS trip in June from CMH. I just looked and couldn't find any mainline flights from ORD or DEN.
Oh well, guess it is Ted for me.
It sounds like I was lucky. I'd rather be lucky than good any day of the week, especially on the way to Vegas.
Old Apr 20, 07, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Thread title a *little* misleading...
Old Apr 20, 07, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 4.8MM, Delta 1MM & Hilton Diamond, Hertz Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post

Same thing happens for ORD-PHX during Jan thru April for the past 2 years. UA will run 1 mainline flight a day on Sat or Sun. This year it was a combo of 320's, 319, and a few 757s. I don't know why they do it, but they do.
Old Apr 20, 07, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by zambonisk View Post
Same thing happens for ORD-PHX during Jan thru April for the past 2 years. UA will run 1 mainline flight a day on Sat or Sun. This year it was a combo of 320's, 319, and a few 757s. I don't know why they do it, but they do.
Jan-Apr is Baseball Spring Training season...... more pax heading to see the games.
Old Apr 20, 07, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 4.8MM, Delta 1MM & Hilton Diamond, Hertz Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by warreng24 View Post
Jan-Apr is Baseball Spring Training season...... more pax heading to see the games.
That would make sense if they flew 757's all the time, but for a large part of spring training it was either a mainline 320 or 319 which both have fewer seats than Ted.
Old Apr 20, 07, 1:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC View Post
Thread title a *little* misleading...
How about a lot misleading.. These flights pop up every once in a while, but miserable TED serves LAS 99,9% of the flights
Old Apr 20, 07, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
How about a lot misleading.. These flights pop up every once in a while, but miserable TED serves LAS 99,9% of the flights
Unless you fly AAnother AAirline insteAAd.
Old Apr 20, 07, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Originally Posted by zambonisk View Post
Same thing for some of the Florida markets. I was lucky enough to have a schedule change the first weekend of May and they moved me from the FLL-IAD Theodore flight to the FLL-ORD mainline flight. Unfortunately it didn't work the other way.
Old Apr 20, 07, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
Well Tommy and Benjamin, pardon me for not doing a complete check of United's flight schedule in and out of Vegas!!! Come to think of it, I DID take a look at the United timetable PRIOR to posting and did not see a change for my flight to mainline. I thought that we would see additional mainline flights on the next published schedule. I don't live on these boards, so I don't have United's complete timetable and equipment memorized. EXCUSE ME!!!

I'm glad to hear that you and Benjamin never post incorrect information. It must be nice to be infallible.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 20, 07 at 3:59 pm Reason: off-topic

Search this Thread
Search Engine: