Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hanging Coats in F: Too much to ask for?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation Hanging Coats in F: Too much to ask for?

Hey Folks,

I have seen it posted a few times in various threads, but thought it deserved its own thread. I remember about a year ago I never saw an issue with FA's hanging coats. Actually, regardless of how bad the crew was, hanging coats instantly was never a problem in F. My past three F flights I have sat with my coat in my lap for five minutes and had no reaction from the FA's. I then went up to the galley and ask them to hang it please. While they were not rude about it, they made it seem as if I was asking for the world. Another passenger asked to get his coat hung and the FA said there were hangers in the back on which he could hang it up. That being said, all of my crews yesterday and today were sub-par, so is this just bad luck or are others having the same problems regarding coats?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:26 am

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Hey Folks,

I have seen it posted a few times in various threads, but thought it deserved its own thread. I remember about a year ago I never saw an issue with FA's hanging coats. Actually, regardless of how bad the crew was, hanging coats instantly was never a problem in F. My past three F flights I have sat with my coat in my lap for five minutes and had no reaction from the FA's. I then went up to the galley and ask them to hang it please. While they were not rude about it, they made it seem as if I was asking for the world. Another passenger asked to get his coat hung and the FA said there were hangers in the back on which he could hang it up. That being said, all of my crews yesterday and today were sub-par, so is this just bad luck or are others having the same problems regarding coats?
Nope... Three Weeks ago on an ORD-LAX flight in F, two people had to ask to have their coats hanged.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
this is one area which is consistent for me. I have had my coat taken every time i can remember
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:34 am
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Several months ago I flew ORD->BWI in F. The FAs offered to take the coat of all the non-revs in the cabin, but not me or my flying companion. We had our bulky overcoats sitting in our lap. After five minutes, the FA offers to "put the coats in the overhead bin" as there was no more space to hang coats.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:37 am

Location: Views expressed in these forums are my own and in no way represent the views of UAL corp, its partners, subsidiaries, or affiliates.
Programs: United Mileage Plus
I've certainly got no problem grabbing your coat and hanging it for you. One favor to ask though -- please don't try to hand me your coat while I've got a tray full of drinks and I'm trying to pass out some pre departure beverages. (You would not believe how many times this actually happens!) lol

Sorry for those with the bad experience there. Hopefully your next flight will be better.

ps -- while I disagree with ever telling anyone to hang their own coat, and I certainly wouldn't do that, I do have a special love for people in row 6 on a 757 (non p.s.) who reach behind a grab a hanger of their own accord. Just makes me want to go out of my way to be over the top nice to them on the flight. (But don't worry row 6er's -- You still get excellent treatment even if I hang it for you )
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat
Had to ask for my coat to be hung in F yesterday SFO-IAH....the FA said "there are hangers behind row 3 for you to hang it on"...I said "I prefer if you follow protocol and hang it for me."....the FA: "You may have to wait until after take-off for me to get to that"...me:"fine"...the FA then took my my coat.....ha!

Sometimes teeth have to be pulled!

Mind you 80% of the time this kind of thing does not happen...I have even had my coat taken as I board numerous times recently...so all is not bad....just inconsistent.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
I guess that I have been lucky. I can't think of a time that I have needed to ask to have a coat hung in the locker or behind the last row. Hopefully my string of luck continues.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I find it worst on the 757's. There's no rush or pressure since there's no Y pax coming thru. On my last transcon on the 757, the FA seemed to just park herself up there and waited for people to walk their coats up.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Its been a mixed bag for me. I usually do it myself if I'm sitting in the back row as UAFlyer mentioned. I do this since there have been numerous cases where it filled up and I had to stick it in the overhead bins.

Overall, its been a mixed bag for me of whether they offer to take your coat or not. I usually let it slide if they are busy preparing drinks.

However, there have definitely been times where the FA just stands and reads a magazine or chats with another FA...
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by SFO2Everywhere
Had to ask for my coat to be hung in F yesterday SFO-IAH....the FA said "there are hangers behind row 3 for you to hang it on"...I said "I prefer if you follow protocol and hang it for me."....the FA: "You may have to wait until after take-off for me to get to that"...me:"fine"...the FA then took my my coat.....ha!

Sometimes teeth have to be pulled!

Mind you 80% of the time this kind of thing does not happen...I have even had my coat taken as I board numerous times recently...so all is not bad....just inconsistent.
I know we all understand that hanging coats really isn't a big deal, but that's a unbelievably poor attitude from the FA. Kudos to you for sticking to your guns!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:15 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I started noticing the truculence toward coat hanging about a year ago. I've had to hang my own coat in F nearly every flight since then, with FAs never even asking. Unfortunately, there has also been a dearth of hangers on those same flights, making it difficult for me to even hang my own coat when there are only one or two hangers for the entire F cabin.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
I started noticing the truculence toward coat hanging about a year ago. I've had to hang my own coat in F nearly every flight since then, with FAs never even asking. Unfortunately, there has also been a dearth of hangers on those same flights, making it difficult for me to even hang my own coat when there are only one or two hangers for the entire F cabin.
I think FAs noticed this and decided that they only need to wait a little bit before they wouldn't have to do anything...
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Talking

Uh oh!!!! Let's see how long it takes for the apologists to come out o this one!

I totally agree. Heaven forbid you interupt their Sudoku moment. I have compliment coupons that I have been carrying for 6 months without an opportunity to give one out.

Even after their paycut they get paid more than F9 FAs who are leaps and bounds better.

Remember, they're here for your safety, so what does that have to do with hanging up coats! LOL
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:34 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I travel in just a Speedo and flip-flops, so this really isn't an issue for me

Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by mlasser
Heaven forbid you interupt their Sudoku moment.
Ahem. That's US Weekly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.