*a gold and international lounge access?

Old Apr 10, 07, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
*a gold and international lounge access?

Just got my 2P card (see yesterday's post) but now I'm *a gold. Will I have any trouble accessing the international lounges without my 1P card? I have read elsewhere that it can be difficult despite that status is printed on your boarding pass. However mileage plus (an extremely pleasant CSR) said that since the systems were updated very frequently they would be able to look up my status and that I should not have any problem. Is this true? My status is known on UA except for the seat selection committee.

By the way, I have had Saturday flights posted to my account before I get home on Sunday.
Old Apr 10, 07, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store View Post
Will I have any trouble accessing the international lounges without my 1P card?
You should have no problem with RCCs, but lots of problems with lounges operated by other carriers.
Old Apr 10, 07, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some people have reported here that UA has emailed them a letter to serve as a temporary 1P/1K card for lounge access...if you're planning to use lounges other than RCCs, you'll definitely want this. Without it, your chances of getting into a *A lounge are about as great as united.com working properly.
Old Apr 10, 07, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Agreed. In most cases, I have had the lounge take my card and make a photocopy of it...
Old Apr 10, 07, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the responses.

Mileage Plus has indicated a willingness to Fedex me a 1P card so that I can have it for my next trips. I just need to pay the $25 shipping fee. Is it worth it? It would cover two trips that I am taking before I can reasonably expect to see the card otherwise.
Old Apr 10, 07, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
If you ask me, I would find this completely worth it. It guarantees far less hassle.
Old Apr 10, 07, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mileage Plus has indicated a willingness to Fedex me a 1P card so that I can have it for my next trips. I just need to pay the $25 shipping fee. Is it worth it? It would cover two trips that I am taking before I can reasonably expect to see the card otherwise.
Which lounges do you plan to use? If it's the US Airways club, save the $25. If it's LH Sen or ANA or SKL, best $25 ever spent.

And again, if it's just the RCCs...a waste of money as those concierges know where to look on your BP for your status level so the card is not needed.
Old Apr 10, 07, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re: LH SEN lounge
Showers after a transatlantic, decent bar, and T-mobile. I know, it's not quite the RCCs...but it'll suffice.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 11, 07 at 5:00 am Reason: reference to deleted quote removed
Old Apr 10, 07, 9:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
If not flying UA I would not hesitate a second and pay the $25 to get the StarGold-card fast before my international flight.

It is not only but also about lounges it is also about check-in queus, preferential treatment if something goes wrong, etc.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 11, 07 at 6:21 am Reason: reference to deleted posts
Old Apr 11, 07, 1:07 am

I would agree with most the comments, here, that if you want to use a non-RCC lounge (recommended), and you have a layover > 2 hours, make the investment. Just make sure that part of the deal is that you only pay if receive the card by date x.

Have a great trip and an enjoyable lounge stay.

P.S. I was surprised that they even made the FedEx offer. You should post on what you said to get this. Good for you!

Old Apr 11, 07, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by #10 View Post
I would agree with most the comments, here, that if you want to use a non-RCC lounge (recommended), and you have a layover > 2 hours, make the investment.
every time this topic comes up, i post in disagreement with the "card carrying crew" so i'll do so again.

-i don't have a frequent flyer card
-i hang in the same lounges as the rest of you
-i've never been denied entry to a *a lounge i was entitled to use
Old Apr 11, 07, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
-i've never been denied entry to a *a lounge i was entitled to use
I can only assume you've never tried to use an LH lounge. The rules say you have to have the card, and LH is very strict about following all the rules. Or at least all the rules that are to their advantage.
Old Apr 11, 07, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
i've never been denied entry to a *a lounge i was entitled to use
I'm pleased to hear that, really I am.
OTOH: I know (personally) other long time FT'ers who have been denied their rightful access to *G lounges WITH their card. Therefore, since (unfortunately!) - I don't know you personally, I'll have to assume that you've simply been luckier than some.
May your luck continue.

Best, Dave
Old Apr 11, 07, 10:36 am
TKG

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I can only assume you've never tried to use an LH lounge. The rules say you have to have the card, and LH is very strict about following all the rules. Or at least all the rules that are to their advantage.
This is so very true. I've always been asked for a card at LH lounges. On the occasions I didn't have it, I either had a letter from UA vouching for my *G status (this might be a better option than paying the $25, as it can be faxed to you straight away), asked the LH attendant to ring Mileage Plus or have simply been denied entry.
Old Apr 11, 07, 10:47 am

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, SK *G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959 View Post
Re: LH SEN lounge
Showers after a transatlantic, decent bar, and T-mobile. I know, it's not quite the RCCs...but it'll suffice.
That must be one of the funniest comments ever made....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: