Favorite Hidden-Gem-like seats...

Old Apr 9, 07, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Favorite Hidden-Gem-like seats...

Ok..
1) This forum is really whiney and not as much fun recently... so..
2) We all know there are the well known "Best Seats" on a number of planes.
3) We all have our own personal favorite seats that aren't really in that category.. but for whatever reason, we like them.

What are they?

I'll start.... On any internationally configured 777 in C: 12F

Why?
1) It's almost always available.
2) It's an aisle
3) It's NOT a bulkhead (ick!)
4) It's close enough to get breakfast choice
5) The middle seat to your left is often empty
6) The middle seat's entertainment screen is on your side.. Map & Movie you say?!
7) 13 is rumored to have extra leg room... which sorta means more head room/less guilt/etc.. in a wierd way
8) Equipment is always in good condition (see 1)

Any others?

PS - if you start stealing my seat, i may be forced to pounce!
Old Apr 9, 07, 10:56 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Why, 1J of course
Old Apr 9, 07, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by superEGO View Post
13 is rumored to have extra leg room... which sorta means more head room/less guilt/etc.. in a wierd way
One of the oft-quoted, least accurate of SeatGuru's many many fine contributions to seating preference. Row 13 = Row 12 = Row 14 = Row 15 w/r/t pitch.
Ain't no difference.

BTW: you and I won't have to argue with one another re: seating, as I'll be in the minicabin!

Best, Dave
Old Apr 9, 07, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the intl. 777 I like 15H, although many will disagree. You are not reclining into anyone, almost always available, always last to be served (which I like), and so on. Other than that can't think of any "hidden" gems, and if we write too much about them, they wont be hidden for long.
Old Apr 9, 07, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bseller View Post
One of the oft-quoted, least accurate of SeatGuru's many many fine contributions to seating preference. Row 13 = Row 12 = Row 14 = Row 15 w/r/t pitch.
Ain't no difference.
There used to be a difference, but when UA rolled out C+ (additional pitch in C) they moved the seats on the 777s to equalize the legroom. I know from experience that there were several more inches of pitch in row 13 and that it's gone now.
Old Apr 9, 07, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Oh, I have some hidden gems, but I'm not telling. Otherwise, how will they stay hidden?
Old Apr 9, 07, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
On the intl. 777 I like 15H, although many will disagree. You are not reclining into anyone, almost always available, always last to be served (which I like), and so on. Other than that can't think of any "hidden" gems, and if we write too much about them, they wont be hidden for long.
emphasis mine: easter eggs once divulged, often become scrabmbled <shhhhhh, people are listening>
Old Apr 10, 07, 2:44 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by WindFlyer View Post
Why, 1J of course
^ ^ ^ to 1J! Agree!
Old Apr 10, 07, 2:45 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
^ ^ ^ to 1J! Agree!
...and let's not forget 6D
Old Apr 10, 07, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
9E on a DASH-8 for sure! You gotta love the wild ride in the back of to the bus!
Old Apr 10, 07, 4:34 pm

Programs: WWMFD
There's an urban legend of a C-class seat somewhere in the UA fleet on which all recline, headrest, legrest, IFE and lighting systems work perfectly.

It remains the Holy Grail of many frequent travelers.
Old Apr 10, 07, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
On the intl. 777 I like 15H,
The problems with 15H include the back of the seat being the storage area for the emergency demo equipment, and the FAs love to just power jam the stuff back in when they are finished, rather rudely shaking your seat. They also store their personal luggage behind this seat, and love using the back of your seat as leverage, when frequently accessing their bags, thus waking you from a sound sleep, for their own convenience. This negates getting a bulkhead seat so the inconsiderate jerk behind you won't do exactly that. If this only happened occasionally, it wouldn't be a big deal, but it is more routine than not. There is also limited overhead storage, due to oxygen bottles. 15F might be a better choice. Even when nobody is sitting in 15F, the FAs will still keep their bags behind 15H.
Old Apr 10, 07, 5:09 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Personally, I prefer row 1 (or 2) on TED flights, especially the shorter ones. Why? First off the plane, the FAs seem to provide better service up front, and as they move the AV equipment into the galley, there's actually overhead bin space.

I agree with the above comments re: seat guru. On the 777 XC/XI there was a comment for a long time about how row 13 (I think) didn't line up with the window... which hasn't been true for a long time.

While I'm mentioning SeatGuru, I'd also put seat 3C on the E170 as an "avoid" seat since it seems to be frequently bumped as people get onto the airplane as well as by people in F headed back to the bathroom midflight.

I also like row 6 on the (non PS) 757s for non-transcon flights. I can usually get off right behind the folks in rows 8 and 9.
Old Apr 10, 07, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G
Originally Posted by kcvt750 View Post
There's an urban legend of a C-class seat somewhere in the UA fleet on which all recline, headrest, legrest, IFE and lighting systems work perfectly.
What, you mean the C-seat where I don't have to brace myself and push the foot rest down with my legs like I'm doing a leg press? Does not exist
Old Apr 10, 07, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't the creation of this thread sort of contradict its topic?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: