Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does UA really want me to fly Southwest?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Angry Does UA really want me to fly Southwest?

Ever since the demise of FlyI, the money-grubbers at UA having been inflating the fares IAD-BDL and IAD-PVD. Need to travel 6/14 to BDL. Over 60 days out and the cheapest fare is $769! I can fly to LAX, SFO or nearly anyplace on the west coast cheaper than that. I can't justify passing that cost along to my employer when I can have a car service take me to/from BWI and fly Southwest for less than half the UA price. If Jet Blue ever decides to fly BDL or PVD from IAD, UA - You're Fired! This is nothing more than just basic greed on UAs part.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
When is your return?

I just pulled up an overnight IAD-BDL fare for $138 roundtrip, leaving the 14th, returning the 15th. The one way fare is $384. I take it you are going and coming the same day?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zrs70
When is your return?

I just pulled up an overnight IAD-BDL fare for $138 roundtrip, leaving the 14th, returning the 15th. The one way fare is $384. I take it you are going and coming the same day?
same day return
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:24 pm

Something is strange here, I average BOS <-> IAD for business about twice a month, a couple of my business associates fly PVD <-> IAD regularly. It's usually not hard to get fares out of BOS for under $200, or from PVD under $250 during the week.

There's a good chance it will only take 1 attempt at a weekday afternoon drive up from NoVA to BWI to make you to never want to even consider doing it again.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratracer
Something is strange here, I average BOS <-> IAD for business about twice a month, a couple of my business associates fly PVD <-> IAD regularly. It's usually not hard to get fares out of BOS for under $200, or from PVD under $250 during the week.

There's a good chance it will only take 1 attempt at a weekday afternoon drive up from NoVA to BWI to make you to never want to even consider doing it again.
I travel to CT at least twice a month for only a day - no stay over. BOS is a long drive and the UA fares are always $700+. I've done the BWI haul many many times.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by djlndc
the money-grubbers at UA...

This is nothing more than just basic greed on UAs part.

Gotta hate that market economy...
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: United 1P, AA Plat, US Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC

But then it comes back to bite UA in the rear when a low-cost competitor moves in and people stick it to them by jumping ship. With a devalued mileage program and mediocre service, UA doesn't have much to offer on those short hauls. I guess they're taking the money while they can.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC

It's hard to build brand loyalty when most of your customers know you will take them for all you can at your first opportunity. WN understands that. So do AS, B6, F9 and, to at least some extent (the transcon market) so does CO. Each of those carriers have figured out exactly how much they can charge in a no competition market without making their previously loyal customers think they are doing business with an arrogant monopoly. UA doesn't understand how to do that.

Then again, it's 2007 and UA still doesn't understand how to run a website.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:51 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by rjque
It's hard to build brand loyalty when most of your customers know you will take them for all you can at your first opportunity. WN understands that. So do AS, B6, F9 and, to at least some extent (the transcon market) so does CO. Each of those carriers have figured out exactly how much they can charge in a no competition market without making their previously loyal customers think they are doing business with an arrogant monopoly. UA doesn't understand how to do that.

Then again, it's 2007 and UA still doesn't understand how to run a website.
Last I checked, WN fares were markedly higher than a year ago, and continuing to move upward. I'm actually surprised I don't hear more griping about it. I suspect that WN is trying to figure out how to stay in the black without their fuel hedge.

I do agree that UA seems to be way out of the ballpark, fare-wise, at times. It takes a certain amount of creativity for me to make it practical. Fortunately, I can easily choose between SFO or SJC outbound, and most of my destinations (aside from CDG & MSN) are served by multiple airports as well... a bit of juggling will usually give a decent fare.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Last I checked, WN fares were markedly higher than a year ago, and continuing to move upward. I'm actually surprised I don't hear more griping about it. I suspect that WN is trying to figure out how to stay in the black without their fuel hedge.
Yeah, but WN's walkup is $240.80 RT on BWI-PVD. That's three times less than what UA wants on the similar IAD-PVD. It's almost like UA is inviting WN competition.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Phoenician Aviator
But then it comes back to bite UA in the rear when a low-cost competitor moves in and people stick it to them by jumping ship.
Yeah, but WN's walkup is $240.80 RT on BWI-PVD. That's three times less than what UA wants on the similar IAD-PVD. It's almost like UA is inviting WN competition.
For the three people who need to fly that route out and back on the same day (and I think I'm being generous thinking there are that many), United is willing to risk it. As zrs80 pointed out, the R/T fare with an overnight is $138.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:30 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by djlndc
Ever since the demise of FlyI, the money-grubbers at UA having been inflating the fares IAD-BDL and IAD-PVD. Need to travel 6/14 to BDL. Over 60 days out and the cheapest fare is $769! I can fly to LAX, SFO or nearly anyplace on the west coast cheaper than that. I can't justify passing that cost along to my employer when I can have a car service take me to/from BWI and fly Southwest for less than half the UA price. If Jet Blue ever decides to fly BDL or PVD from IAD, UA - You're Fired! This is nothing more than just basic greed on UAs part.
I just priced IAD-BDL-IAD at $129 RT on UA with a one-night stayover. I've seen it at $99 RT within the past month.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
For the three people who need to fly that route out and back on the same day (and I think I'm being generous thinking there are that many), United is willing to risk it. As zrs80 pointed out, the R/T fare with an overnight is $138.
Even if it is only three people a day, that's nearly 1,000 people a year that United is telling "we don't care about brand loyalty; give us the opportunity and we'll take you for every cent you've got." And this isn't the only route UA does this on.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Even if it is only three people a day, that's nearly 1,000 people a year that United is telling "we don't care about brand loyalty; give us the opportunity and we'll take you for every cent you've got." And this isn't the only route UA does this on.
My guess, and it's only a guess, is that UA has financial modeling routines and profiles, created for maximizing profit, that are just a tad bit more sophisticated (and accurate) than sampling opinion on FT.

On the other hand, based upon UAs complete cluelessness in terms of marketing flights that would be of interest to me (based upon past patterns), maybe not?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
My guess, and it's only a guess, is that UA has financial modeling routines and profiles, created for maximizing profit, that are just a tad bit more sophisticated (and accurate) than sampling opinion on FT.

On the other hand, based upon UAs complete cluelessness in terms of marketing flights that would be of interest to me (based upon past patterns), maybe not?
It would shock me if brand loyalty figured into United's financial models. United seems much more short sighted than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.