Op-Up. 777 Int'l Y to C. Was this right?

Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Op-Up. 777 Int'l Y to C. Was this right?

Recently flew transcon with family. Booked award tickets for wife and three kids using miles on one reservation and paid for seat for myself on another reservation (got the miles sickness like everyone else). Had five across middle seats in rear of 777 all set for us.

Numerous times prior to flight, computer kept moving me from E- to E+ (nice to see UA is really trying to to the right thing ). However, I was flying with a 3 and 4 year old and needed to be in the back with my wife. Each time I called to get my seat back with my family, I asked if my reservation could be noted that I specifically requested an aisle in E- with my family.

So day of departure comes, and I'm once again booted out of my E- seat with my family and into E+. Unable to get my seat back, GA suggests I just wait until boarding and ask the passenger next to my family to switch. Flight was oversold and late arriving, so boarding was hurried and hectic. Nice gentleman sitting next to my family agreed to move to my E+ seat. I guess the option of sitting in E+ or sitting next to two toddlers in E- was an easy sell.

After we all got settled into our seats, the gentleman that gave up his E- seat for me returned at the insistence of the GA. He said the GA told him he had to sit in his originally assigned seat. Apparently, the GA had already Op-up'd me to C and gave my E+ seat to another passenger. Few seconds later, GA and FA arrived and handed me a new board pass for a seat in C. The thought of comfort and cocktails ran through my mind briefly until my wife sent me an irritated glare. I let the GA know that UA kept moving my seat with my family and that this guy was nice enough to give up his seat for me. Clearly the GA was frustrated. I ask the agent if the seat-less guy could take my seat in C; knowing another elite should have been given the upgrade. GA replied, "I don't care, I've got one minute to close the door." So he took the C seat and I sat in E- (what a bummer for me ).

End of story, nice guy that gave up his seat and was bounced around the Y cabin got an upgrade and was very happy after being inconvenienced. I got to sit with my family and some other elite, unbeknown, got screwed out of an upgrade. All was well in my mine, except after take-off my wife let me know that, she would have taken the upgrade. Which makes me think, that still wouldn't be fair to anther elite - would it?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In this case I feel like the right thing was definitely done. Keep in mind that the GA's number one goal is to get the flight out on time. In this case, since it was right before departure time and the risk of getting a flight out late is just not worth it, I think this was the most reasonable solution.^
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I think what happened was fine. You got an op-up, and you can swap seats with anyone willing.

There was probably no need to get the GA involved, just swap after the door closes.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Agree with the other postings..

Nice gent traded seats so you could be with your family. ^

Good karma comes around and he gets to sit in C when he was OK with E+.

(anyone wanna bet we start on another round of "asking-nicely-vs-demanding-a-seat-swap" tangents )
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Technically, another elite didn't lose the upgrade. For all things considered, UA did some shuffling that was within the guidelines (if you weren't flying w/ the family, you would've taken the u/g). In this case, it was a minor, and mutually agreed, swap. Besides, I think that it was a fair exchange and he was at the right seat at the right time.

^ to you and the person you swapped with. Everyone gets what they want: you sit with family, swapped person gets upgrade (that belonged to you) and GA gets a timely departure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.