FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Inaugural flight to Rome FCO 4/01 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/678045-inaugural-flight-rome-fco-4-01-a.html)

Fiumicino Apr 2, 2007 2:16 am

Inaugural flight to Rome FCO 4/01

Hi,

I hope somebody will post a trip report for that flight. I am seriously concerned with the following:

- Who is handling the check-in (hope it is not US, probably Globe Ground?);
- Lounge access (Le Anfore or Giotto);
- Baggage handling (we have two companies here and for some reason one takes much more time to deliver luggage).

Since the return flight is just leaving in an hour I guess we can expect something in the next days...

I was surprised to see that the mayor of Rome has called a press conference about this flight for this afternoon.

Thanks,

F

mahasamatman Apr 2, 2007 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Fiumicino (Post 7511171)
I was surprised to see that the mayor of Rome has called a press conference about this flight for this afternoon.

Quiet news day...

rwill11 Apr 2, 2007 2:45 am

I'm flying to the states on it on fri, I'll post a report if nobody else does. Looking forward to it. I fly over here about twice a year and like the idea of not having to stop in europe and connect, and yes I know Italy is in europe :) brain is still a bit jet lagged

HDflyer Apr 2, 2007 5:06 am

EAS is ground handling the flights. Checkin / Gates / Baggage

I have no information regarding the lounge.

lucky9876coins Apr 2, 2007 5:43 am

So was Wireless also on this flight or "only" the PEK flight?

BenjaminNYC Apr 2, 2007 6:56 am

Originally Posted by rwill11 (Post 7511226)
I'm flying to the states on it on fri, I'll post a report if nobody else does. Looking forward to it. I fly over here about twice a year and like the idea of not having to stop in europe and connect, and yes I know Italy is in europe :) brain is still a bit jet lagged

And connecting in IAD is so much better? :confused:

Can't you fly to LHR on BA and connect to anywhere you want to go?

rwill11 Apr 2, 2007 7:08 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC (Post 7511803)
And connecting in IAD is so much better? :confused:

Can't you fly to LHR on BA and connect to anywhere you want to go?

yeah its better, I can take the 3 class 767 from sea-iad nonstop take an 1 1/2 hr break stretch my legs relax a bit then take the fco flight and arrive in rome. Its much better for me to break the trip in US time vs arriving over there after an all nite flight and then have another 2hr hop to rome and then the extra time getting into town. PS BJ, this was an xf award and my taxes fees and surcharges totalled only $45. Thats another reason to steer clear of LHR ;)

Fiumicino Apr 2, 2007 7:37 am

I agree that connecting in Europe is much less convenient for me because:

- I often make plan for the morning of arrival, but sometimes I have to change them at the last-minute because my flight is delayed in FRA/MUC. At least if the flight is delayed in IAD I can rearrange the night before;

- Unable to bring duty-free from the US because you do not pick-up your luggage before your final destination in Europe.

UA's flight make me finally able to avoid the US flight PHL-FCO. If I don't want to leave on the 06:40 or 06:45 AM flights to MUC/FRA (no trains running and too early), the next flight that can get me in Germany arrive around noon; the mid-afternoon flights are rarely available in Q, V and W the days I usually travel (Fridays and Saturdays). The new capacity is therefore positive also in that regard.

F

SEA1K4EVR Apr 2, 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 7511523)
So was Wireless also on this flight or "only" the PEK flight?

That MSNBC online report about his PEK trip said he wasn't able to fly on the inaugural IAD-FCO flight.

Lori_Q Apr 2, 2007 9:39 am

It's possible that Lufthansa is handling the FCO check-in operations. They have a lot of flights in and out of there, so it is not unlikely that they have an arrangement with UA.

qasr Apr 2, 2007 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Lori_Q (Post 7512589)
It's possible that Lufthansa is handling the FCO check-in operations. They have a lot of flights in and out of there, so it is not unlikely that they have an arrangement with UA.

LH doesn't even do their own ground handling there, they use an outsourced company. Either Globe Ground or Servisair, I think.

Fiumicino Apr 2, 2007 9:57 am

Originally Posted by qasr (Post 7512684)
LH doesn't even do their own ground handling there, they use an outsourced company. Either Globe Ground or Servisair, I think.

They use Globe Ground, which was bought by Servisair sometimes ago. I don't like them because they are very stricts.

Alphaguy Apr 2, 2007 10:04 am

If anyone is traveling on this and can comment on how this flight (a 3 class 767?) compares to the US (A333 w class) would greatly be appreciated. I'll be doing this soon as a *G CP and the one good benefit out of PHL is the Envoy Lounge with free food and drinks. Does IAD have anything comparable?

Fiumicino Apr 2, 2007 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Alphaguy (Post 7512723)
If anyone is traveling on this and can comment on how this flight (a 3 class 767?) compares to the US (A333 w class) would greatly be appreciated. I'll be doing this soon as a *G CP and the one good benefit out of PHL is the Envoy Lounge with free food and drinks. Does IAD have anything comparable?

UA are using a 3 class 777 on that route; note that with US you do not have access to any lounge in FCO if you are flying in Y or upgraded to Envoy.

BenjaminNYC Apr 2, 2007 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Fiumicino (Post 7512805)
UA are using a 3 class 777 on that route; note that with US you do not have access to any lounge in FCO if you are flying in Y or upgraded to Envoy.

US makes not lounge for *G's???