Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural flight to Rome FCO 4/01

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P
No 1P lounge access, but...

Flew UA967 from FCO on Wed and was told by the check-in folks that United didn't have lounge access yet, at least not for 1P. We tried anyway to get into the shared term C lounge (they sent us to the Alitalia lounge next door), but no dice with either. However, our luck improved soon after we settled into our E+ seats. A gate agent dropped by and asked if we (my GM girlfriend and I) would accept a complimentary upgrade to C, and thanked us afterwards! Economy was fuller than expected due to a bunch of pax from a cancelled US flight, but I don't think it was packed. There were maybe 30 empty seats in C when we took off, which I guess is no surprise for a new leisure route. Anyway, this was the perfect ending to our Italy trip. It was a very generous and unnecessary gesture from UA, especially considering that I'm just a 1P. ^
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:07 pm

Reporting from today 4/11 UA 967.
9 in First
42 in Business
141 in Economy

Pleasant flight, not happy with the NO lounge access. UA personnel blamed it on the lounges saying that they did not have room for their passengers. Which is complete BS.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by italian7
Reporting from today 4/11 UA 967.
9 in First
42 in Business
141 in Economy

Pleasant flight, not happy with the NO lounge access. UA personnel blamed it on the lounges saying that they did not have room for their passengers. Which is complete BS.
Sounds like BS. Other *A carriers manage to give *G access in FCO, so I can't see why UA wouldn't unless they are being cheap.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Not sure what the lounges are like in terminal C, but from my memory the Rome lounges I have used when flying Alitalia C were dumps. So much so I stopped going.

Adam
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by adambrau
Not sure what the lounges are like in terminal C, but from my memory the Rome lounges I have used when flying Alitalia C were dumps. So much so I stopped going.

Adam
IMHO, the whole airport is an outdated dump. Reminds me of LHR.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
That MSNBC online report about his PEK trip said he wasn't able to fly on the inaugural IAD-FCO flight.
Confirmed, I talked to him on the PEK flight and he was bummed he could not make the Rome flight due to other commitments. He has made 2 now so hes a lucky lad!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldtrav
IMHO, the whole airport is an outdated dump. Reminds me of LHR.
Does FCO have a 15 minute express train to town, choice of *A lounges with showers, real food, free internet, IRIS scanning lanes at immigration, strict but now consistent security policies, brand new terminals under construction, and impressive pre-flight duty free and shopping opportunities?

I'm flying out of FCO next Tuesday - hope it's just like you describe!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying into FCO next Wednesday. My IAD-FCO upgrade cleared two days ago. Whew! There still doesn't appear to be any upgrade or award inventory in F or C, and Business Class is looking pretty full for the next several weeks. It will be interesting to see how well this route does through the summer tourist season.

Yeah, Fiumicino is a dump. I'm glad we're leaving Italy via Venice's sleek and stylish new air terminal. FCO's best feature is the nondescript coffee stand at the entrance to the train terminal, where I can get one of those cappuccinos I've been craving before heading into town.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Yeah, Fiumicino is a dump.
I'll try not to take it personally... Seriously, FCO has some good shops and convenient transport to the city...
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by ivoryboi
Does FCO have a 15 minute express train to town, choice of *A lounges with showers, real food, free internet, IRIS scanning lanes at immigration, strict but now consistent security policies, brand new terminals under construction, and impressive pre-flight duty free and shopping opportunities?

I'm flying out of FCO next Tuesday - hope it's just like you describe!
Express Train - Yes, but it takes 30 mins not 15
Choice of *A lounges - No
Real food - Yes, but they weren't open at 5am. As always in Italy, excellent coffee.
Free internet - no idea
IRIS scanning - Don't know, but that is only for entering and you are departing
Security - seemed consistent, considering this is Italy quite a feat
New Terminals - Didn't see any
Duty free - show me an airport that doesn't have an overload of duty free shops. I can never refer to duty free shopping as "impressive".
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Originally Posted by rwill11
Just got into IAD on 967. Absolutely, a great flight. Checked in at UA desk in terminal C. They are working the bugs out. I was impressed with the training. Any problem brings the Italian supervisor over and the US supervisor. They all work on the prob as a team. ^
Security Line was pretty bad, about 25 minutes, only 4 spaces open and no elite line.
asked about 1st class lounge at gate and was told that 1st class pax could use the BA lounge near gate C2. Rather pedestrian. free booze, potato chips, cookies and a few pastries. Inquired at the desk just WHO was eligible to get in. Was told UA FC ticket holders, and UGS. no 1K's etc.
Plane boarded smoothly and went off on-time. arrived in IAD 1/2 hr early.
Staff as expected had some serious seniority. Asked my FA if they get to stay downtown or at the airport. She was very happy about staying downtown. This looks like a great gig for them.
Was wondering how catering would be. I was a bit hesitant to order the filet (italians outside of Firenze, seem to have a problem cooking meats) Filet came out perfect, 1 1/2 inches thick, nice and juicy, and done perfect med rare. I must say this was the best food I've had on a UA flight.
This was my first time in Ua's 1st class suite's.^ ^ Wow what a difference from C. I reclined a little and was really comfortable, ended up falling asleep for 3 hrs, then had a drink of water, reclined fully into bed and slept like a baby for 4 more hrs. Woke up over Maine, had a great lunch and landed. Best flight I have ever been on. Reminded me of my old days as a FF on Pan Am.
Great new route, and definately better than connecting in europe. 11:15 dep is so much better than having to get a 6am. Noticed that there were Thai, US, Singapore Air and Luftansa planes at the gates, so connecting out of Fco looks like a plus. Cheers RWill

Great report. Many years ago I use to commute to Rome twice a month on Pan Am. They did not have the suites but they sure did have great first class service. The good old days.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Tried doing some searching and this thread seems to be the last discussion. I am flying IAD-FCO-IAD in August in C as 1P. Will I have any lounge options available to me at FCO?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
For FCO-IAD, UA's still seems not to have negotiated any agreement yet. That may change when you will take your flight, ask at check-in.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Lounge Access at FCO

Originally Posted by Fiumicino
For FCO-IAD, UA's still seems not to have negotiated any agreement yet. That may change when you will take your flight, ask at check-in.

I was on the FCO-IAD flight on 4/9/07. I am a 1K member and asked about lounge access. We were flying in C using miles. The agent at check-in indicated that we could use the British Airways lounge and sent us to the incorrect terminal. We walked a long way to find the BA lounge only to be rudely advised that United only contracted the use of their lounge for First Class passengers. We didn't qualify. There were no options for United passengers not in F. The lounge was actually nice and empty. The gate agent indicated that they were limiting access to First class due to space constraints...

Last edited by HenryE1005; Jul 9, 2007 at 7:35 pm Reason: Added information.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:22 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Any updates on lounge access at FCO for RCC members or 1p's?

Mrs. mauiUAflyer & I are going there this October. Were able to get NC seats on IAD-FCO (and all the other legs, Thanks FT!^), but waitlisted for an upgrade on the return. In fact, could find NO NC seats from Europe back to US for several days on either side. What gives? The agent at UA with whom I booked the flight thought UA might release some more inventory at some point, but who knows?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.