Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What's the appropriate price for a transcon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the appropriate price for a transcon?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K
Moderator (l'etoile) note: This discussion sprang from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677761. As it got away from the topic of that thread and took on a life of its own, it seemed more appropriate to give it its own thread. I've tried not to make any edits to posts, but if I have, they've been for purposes of continuity. So the topic becomes: What price is appropriate to pay to fly United on a transcon ...A reminder also to keep to the topic while avoiding name calling. Carry on ...

$400 RT transcon is pretty good--I think it might be time for people in the US to adjust what a "fair" or "good" airfare really is.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 1, 2007 at 8:09 am
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
I like a 234.00 transcon much better

Pat

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 1, 2007 at 8:06 am
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Originally Posted by camachinist
I like a 234.00 transcon much better

Pat
Good for you, please enjoy ripping off the airline by buying a seat for less than the fuel cost of flying you across the continent.

Pay your way, or don't go. Oh, and don't expect EQM for your sub penny per BIS mile flights.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
Good for you, please enjoy ripping off the airline by buying a seat for less than the fuel cost of flying you across the continent.
I assume you are kidding. You must be! Let me make sure I understand what you are saying: If someone pays the price that is offered for a product, without any negotiation whatsoever they are "ripping off the airline" and "freaking losers?" Maybe next time when I see UA offer a certain price on a route I should not accept it and tell them I would like to donate an extra $100 because I don't think they are charging enough? Wow, I thought I had seen it all here on FT!
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still don't see how anyone is "ripping off the airline." Some people gripe, sure, but that applies to anything. How is anyone ripping off the airline by paying the price that they offer?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA
So we're sure here that the marginal cost of flying one extra person and his/her baggage across the continent is greater than $234?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by rar indeed
So we're sure here that the marginal cost of flying one extra person and his/her baggage across the continent is greater than $234?
Roundtrip, after taxes? Yeah. Especially after the person upgrades.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I assume you are kidding. You must be! Let me make sure I understand what you are saying: If someone pays the price that is offered for a product, without any negotiation whatsoever they are "ripping off the airline" and "freaking losers?" Maybe next time when I see UA offer a certain price on a route I should not accept it and tell them I would like to donate an extra $100 because I don't think they are charging enough? Wow, I thought I had seen it all here on FT!
I think he is saying he likes to pay full fare everytime he flies so that he can give his money (or his employer's money) to UA. Of course, we have to appreciate that, since that allows others who do not feel like paying full fare the ability to buy those sub $200 transcons he seems so happy to pay a premium for.

Some may consider his actions appropriate for a "loser" since he is losing money... and allowing the airline to rip him off.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Roundtrip, after taxes? Yeah. Especially after the person upgrades.
Don't see how the upgrade makes a difference except for beverage consumption. The meal would have been loaded anyways, the seat would have flown anyways, etc.

Basically, my question is "is the fuel cost of conveying x extra kgs more than $234 (after taxes)?" I don't have enough knowledge of aircraft operations to say...
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I think he is saying he likes to pay full fare everytime he flies so that he can give his money (or his employer's money) to UA. Of course, we have to appreciate that, since that allows others who do not feel like paying full fare the ability to buy those sub $200 transcons he seems so happy to pay a premium for.

Some may consider his actions appropriate for a "loser" since he is losing money... and allowing the airline to rip him off.
I'm saying people who gripe about paying $400 roundtrip for 5000 miles of safe jet travel are losers. Because the product costs more than that to supply. So if you keep demanding it at a lower price, the airlines will be out of business. Full stop.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm saying people who gripe about paying $400 roundtrip for 5000 miles of safe jet travel are losers. Because the product costs more than that to supply. So if you keep demanding it at a lower price, the airlines will be out of business. Full stop.
Demanding? Hoping? Taking when offered?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:55 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by xj47
Demanding? Hoping? Taking when offered?
Rulez's point is of course an excellent one. Airlines are beginning to realize that they should make money on every passenger, and not file extortion level fares for business travelers and use those to subsidize unrealistically low economy fares. QUP's et al are an excellent example of a way the airlines have begun to combat one end of the problem. This is why we hear so many "my upgrade didn't clear" whines here now. People are paying for F or C, and that just doesn't sit right with some people who've come to expect it for free.

The bottom line, which is what I believe rulez was trying to say: Pay up or shut up. Don't whine when something is more expensive than you care to pay. The solution is simple: Don't buy, and look elsewhere. Don't go around whining about how airlines aren't making things cheap enough for you.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 1, 2007 at 8:10 am Reason: continuity
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, can you explain what you mean by "demanding?" If people need to fly, they will either have to bite the bullet and book with UA or fly another carrier that has a better price. If the trip is not for fun then maybe they can't justify the cost for the trip and rather stay home. It is not like leisure flyers somehow force the airlines to lower the prices. It is totally on UA's side, so I don't see why you are trying to shift the blame to the passengers. I think we are hoping and like to see low fares, but I don't see anyone "demanding" lower fares. Any insight here?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Axey
Airlines are beginning to realize that they should make money on every passenger, and not file extortion level fares for business travelers and use those to subsidize unrealistically low economy fares. QUP's et al are an excellent example of a way the airlines have begun to combat one end of the problem. This is why we hear so many "my upgrade didn't clear" whines here now. People are paying for F or C, and that just doesn't sit right with some people who've come to expect it for free.

The bottom line, which is what I believe rulez was trying to say: Pay up or shut up. Don't whine when something is more expensive than you care to pay. The solution is simple: Don't buy, and look elsewhere. Don't go around whining about how airlines aren't making things cheap enough for you.
Totally agree here, Axey! Nice post!^
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:09 pm

Airlines can already gouge consumers for as much profit as they desire when consumers need to buy a last-minute ticket for an emergency.

I would argue that these sub-$400 fares you hate actually increase the bottom line for United b/c these fliers wouldn't have taken the trip in the first place if they couldn't afford it. Filling otherwise-empty seats with some revenue helps the airlines more than it hurts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.