777 XP to Rome?

Old Mar 29, 07, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Starwood Gold
777 XP to Rome?

Saw this press release today.

United will operate combined passenger and cargo service between the United States and Italy using a Boeing-777 aircraft configured with 10 United First Suite® seats, 45 United Business seats and 198 United Economy® class seats, including 84 Economy Plus® seats that have up to five more inches of legroom. The route is expected to provide approximately 35,000 pounds of cargo per flight between the United States and Italy.

Does this mean its an XP to rome? Reason I ask is that I am booked in 9A/B on this flight and would love it if we had the private row. Can anyone confirm?
Old Mar 29, 07, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It indeed is the 777XP. I thought 9AB would be a crew rest, so that's a bit strange, IMO.
Old Mar 29, 07, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
It indeed is the 777XP. I thought 9AB would be a crew rest, so that's a bit strange, IMO.
I agree...but requested it over the phone and they confirmed it.
Old Mar 29, 07, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scrubglove View Post
I agree...but requested it over the phone and they confirmed it.
If you can, just to be certain, I would take 9HJ if it is available.
Old Mar 29, 07, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

If you can, just to be certain, I would take 9HJ if it is available.
should i be concerned about a last minute bump from those seats? Here is what appears in my itins.

Flight: Confirmed
09A, 09B
Old Mar 29, 07, 5:37 pm

I'm flying this route this summer and the seatmap on ual.bomb is not the XP version. It is showing two rows of C in the mini-cabin and the much coveted 21 HJ in Coach.

When does it switch from the XP
Old Mar 29, 07, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Do they really use 9 AB for crew rest seats? On my Asia flights this winter, they opened them up for passengers. I had them both to myself on NRT-LAX. ^ Are they used as crew rest seats on overnight flights to Europe?
Old Mar 29, 07, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lori_Q View Post
Do they really use 9 AB for crew rest seats? On my Asia flights this winter, they opened them up for passengers. I had them both to myself on NRT-LAX. ^ Are they used as crew rest seats on overnight flights to Europe?
Yes, these seats are used on pretty much all flights which have designated crew rest times. Were you assigned those seats at the time of booking or the day of flight? Very interesting...
Old Mar 29, 07, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Yes, these seats are used on pretty much all flights which have designated crew rest times. Were you assigned those seats at the time of booking or the day of flight? Very interesting...
On three flights where us SIN 'Doers were flying together, 9 AB didn't open up until less than a day before the flight. On the outbound flights, I already had 9J (but the crew didn't use 9 AB as rest seats), and a man & woman who were traveling together had them on NRT-SIN. Boris and Dave snagged them on SIN-NRT, and I got my 9A (9B remained empty) for NRT-LAX when I checked in at SIN that morning. None of the seats showed up on the seat map prior to the flights.

I'll be keeping my eyes on these seats on my upcoming IAD-FCO flight in April. Provided my upgrade clears. Right now I'm in 19J, which is weird, because those seats are usually unavailable on the seatmap for Europe flights (used for crew rest seats, I assume).
Old Mar 29, 07, 8:24 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ualboston1k View Post
I'm flying this route this summer and the seatmap on ual.bomb is not the XP version. It is showing two rows of C in the mini-cabin and the much coveted 21 HJ in Coach.

When does it switch from the XP
I am flying IAD-FCO in November and have reserved 21HJ for myself and partner assuming it was the XC/XI--does this mean I am pretty much screwed from the best Y seats?

sdcarver
Old Mar 29, 07, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA GM
I've been tossed out of 9A a few times. Got the nasty ding-dong when I scanned my bp when I was boarding, and they printed a new 9J bp. I would absolutely book 9HJ just to be safe, otherwise you might be in for a surprise when boarding.
Old Mar 29, 07, 8:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Based upon a recent experience on SEA-NRT, 9B is the designated crew-rest and 9A is a seat that can be offered to a customer if demand requires it (last seat). After having been bumped out of 9J somehow for 15H, the angels at the RCC were able to work their wonders and get me 9A. With 9B only being used for 30 minutes of the flight, 9A was pretty much the best C seat on the plane.
Old Mar 29, 07, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, A'A EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Pres Circle, Sixt Plat
Yes I would book 9H or 9J just to be safe. I am flying back from FCO on APR 5 and I took 9J. The seat map doesn't even give me a choice to take 9A or 9B.

I would change it now before getting bumped last minute.
Old Mar 29, 07, 9:21 pm

Programs: Former 10yr UA 1K now Gold, MMiler, Hertz 5*
I'm booked on this service in July and have window pair 8H/J for myself and the wife and 9H/J booked for my 2 kids. The seat map didn't show this flight being an XP. Any suggestions.......
Old Mar 30, 07, 7:59 am
Original Poster

I was assigned these when I called and booked an award ticket for June. Although I did specifically request them. Any chance they made a mistake, and we will be moved?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: