Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I thought this wasn't possible.
Aren't they all occupied with NRSAs
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:50 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
UA can, has, and will let a C or F seat fly empty.
and should.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
and should.
ditto
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
As others have stated a Z to NF upgrade is unlikely as the upgrade rules require a C or D fare. These rules makes sense for UA as it protects the integrity of F and when you consider an international Z fare could be ~$4K compared with ~$10K for a C fare. This is not to say I have not been lucky enough to end up in F on a Z fare, its very rare and has only happened on full flights on domestic transcons. I think the number one rule of flying applies, always be polite to the gate agents and keep good upgrade karma in mind, they might need a C seat and be whiling to upgrade someone quickly to get the flight out on time. As others have stated Easy Check-in may offer you a buy up offer. You haven't said what route your flying that will also have a significant impact. If you have to fly in F the best option is to re-fare.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
buy-up from Z biz

This morning, attempting to print his BP for tomorrw's LAX-ORD-FRA-ADD flight, R was offered a buy-up from his Z fare in biz to first for the ORD-FRA segment. THIS was a "first," and it took only a very little time to convince him it was worth the ~570 US$
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: United Airlines (GS: '09-'20); Hyatt (Courtesy) Starriott (Plat), Hilton (Gold)
Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies! Tonight I had an agent on the phone who said "let me move you", but then couldn't actually do it! Drats!!!

Update: Super nice Gate Agent in LAX (very sassy to everyone and I just stood there and laughed and listened). NO PROBLEM on the upgrade! She never even said "I shouldn't do this....".....

And now I can start a new thread on how awful the F seats are on the PS 757's. Uggg! So uncomfortable and not truly a lie-flat product.

and last update: just checked my MP account and Elec UG's...she didn't charge me for the UG!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 27, 2008 at 3:36 pm
Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by mpmsfca
and last update: just checked my MP account and Elec UG's...she didn't charge me for the UG!
Just another one of those UA conundrums: An op-up from Z=>NF is legal for a GA, but taking an upg instrument is not.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:16 am

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Discounted business class (Z) fare bonus

I recently flew RTW in Z on TG/LH/UA posting all miles to UA. When I checked my online statement I noticed that the UA flight (SFO-SYD) did not have the 25% fare bonus (segments on TG and LH did) - I called UA and they said Z class did not receive a fare bonus. News to me and very surprising that Z class on other *A carriers did receive this bonus. Is this correct - I cannot find it documented on the UA web site but call center essentially told me "tough luck" you should have checked with us in advance. Good grief !!
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
The "Earning Miles" section on the Mileage Plus website says that Z (discounted business) earns 100% redeemable miles, but 150% elite qualifying miles.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
On UAL metal, there is no RDM bonus for Z, but there is a 50% EQM bonus

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,8566,3122,00.html

Been true for long time
Old Jul 4, 2008, 1:35 am

I thought RTW business booked to D.

Old Jul 4, 2008, 1:44 am

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
I'll double check the EQMs. As far as RTW booking into D class it depends on the fare the LH fare on TG/LH/UA is heavily discounted ($A 6000 including taxes).
Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:43 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by pschafer
I recently flew RTW in Z on TG/LH/UA posting all miles to UA. When I checked my online statement I noticed that the UA flight (SFO-SYD) did not have the 25% fare bonus (segments on TG and LH did) - I called UA and they said Z class did not receive a fare bonus. News to me and very surprising that Z class on other *A carriers did receive this bonus. Is this correct - I cannot find it documented on the UA web site but call center essentially told me "tough luck" you should have checked with us in advance. Good grief !!
It sounds like the fare I am using in a couple of weeks - but posting to SQ and the UA sector in Z only earns base (100%) miles.

One of the reasons I am considering trying to pay up to F on the UA sector...
Old Jul 4, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by #10
It used to, but not anymore, now books into Z.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by #10
I think this is a special restricted "RTW" fare available for Oz itineraries on the carriers mentioned by OP. It is not the *A RTW product, which books in D.

Charles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.