Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Old Jan 5, 2008, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by jgoodm
Thats what I thought but I wanted to double check.

If that is the case... Why would someone want to trade a SWU for miles? Only way to get F free? Only way to get a free E ticket?

Thanks.
If I had SWUs and no desire to travel from my region (1) to the other region (2), then because intra-region 1 mile upgrades take fewer miles than inter-region upgrades , I'd trade my SWUs for miles.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jgoodm
Thats what I thought but I wanted to double check.

If that is the case... Why would someone want to trade a SWU for miles? Only way to get F free? Only way to get a free E ticket?

Thanks.
I assume they want to swap an upgrade for a free ticket with a friend.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM RCC, DL 2MM/FC, Marriott PL
significance of Z fare?

I tried searching this but the search box won't take a "z" because the word is too short. Anyhow...

I'm flying to Zurich from PDX in about 6 weeks and there were no upgrade seats available on UA for either the outbound or the return, so I bought a business ticket from a consolidator in LA for a bit over 4 grand on Lufthansa.

Looking at the itinerary on the UAL website, I see that it was booked in Z, and cost about $3652. (I'm guessing the $400 spread was the agent's profit.)

So, a few questions. What does a Z fare mean for me for UAL miles on LH metal booked as LH and not UAL code shared? Is there another way, in the future, to find out what Z fares are available and book them directly? Where do they come from, for that matter?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:21 pm

I'll let the smarter FT'ers, here, answer your question. Out of curiosity, what consolidator did you use and were you happy with the service/transaction?

Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by #10
I'll let the smarter FT'ers, here, answer your question.
Pretty sure I don't qualify on that score, but I'll give it a shot.

According to this thread you get 125% RDM and 150% EQM on LH metal flights between US and Germany. See also official UAL page here.

Z fare = deeply discounted business. See ozstamps great thread on booking classes here.

The one thing these miles don't count for is 10K thresholds for earning e500s and/or CR-1s.

I presume that searching for "Business class (lowest)" on .bomb will turn up Z fares where they exist, although there are more complicated tools for specific fare bucket searches.

All of this subject to revision/correction by smarter FT types (a group with many members).

Last edited by FortFun; Feb 1, 2008 at 6:42 pm Reason: added info on Z fare searches
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM,UA MP(former 1K), Hertz 5*G, National Emerald Club, SPG, Marriott Silver
A z fare is a discounted business class fare. Some have many restrictions and are unchangable without a fee and refaring and some are changeable. Really depends on the fare rules of your specific z fare. Also, they are not upgradeable with SWUs or miles.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Z fares are discounted business, on UA they are not upgradeable to F but on LH they are!

As a 1K you can call MP and have them send you paper SWUs that you can use day of travel to upgrade your flight assuming you are flying a LH route that has F.

Other than the upgrade part and it probably has more cancellation/change restrictions its not really any more/less significant than any other biz fare.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
I personally LOVE Z fares, especially when I can get them to price out on LH codeshares. You get to enjoy LH C class at a (relative) fraction of the price of a full fare C ticket.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA/MAR
Originally Posted by ryan182
Z fares are discounted business, on UA they are not upgradeable to F but on LH they are!

As a 1K you can call MP and have them send you paper SWUs that you can use day of travel to upgrade your flight assuming you are flying a LH route that has F.

Other than the upgrade part and it probably has more cancellation/change restrictions its not really any more/less significant than any other biz fare.
I knew about the paper SWU thing, but are you telling me (assuming the fare exists):

* I can buy a UA Z ticket on the LH operated codeshare flights?
* And upgrade it to F with my paper SWU (pending availability)?
* And I'll earn the 50% EQM bonus, along with my 100% elite RDM bonus?
* But I won't earn UA BIS miles for E-500/lifetime miles ?

Sounds like a fair trade to me if true!
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by livitup
I knew about the paper SWU thing, but are you telling me (assuming the fare exists):

* I can buy a UA Z ticket on the LH operated codeshare flights?
Doesn't need to be a UA Coded LH flight. You can buy just the LH ticket
* And upgrade it to F with my paper SWU (pending availability)?
Yup
* And I'll earn the 50% EQM bonus, along with my 100% elite RDM bonus?
RDM bonus is only for TATL sectors, not for continuing intra-EU flights
* But I won't earn UA BIS miles for E-500/lifetime miles ?
Correct
Sounds like a fair trade to me if true!
I think you'll have a hard time finding someone to disagree with that one
My answers in bold
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:34 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thomhartmann
So, a few questions. What does a Z fare mean for me for UAL miles on LH metal booked as LH and not UAL code shared? Is there another way, in the future, to find out what Z fares are available and book them directly? Where do they come from, for that matter?
There are currently published Z-class fare on both UA and LH on that route, however they require a 50-day advance purchase.

[KVS Availability Tool 3.0.3/Platinum - Sabre: Fares/ZUJ/SG/USD]
Code:
PDX  Portland Int'l OR US [KPDX]
ZRH  Zurich CH [LSZH]
RT   Feb-Jan

Carrier   From   To   Fare      Cur  Expiry    Min  Max  Fare Basis
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ---------- 
UA        PDX    ZRH     3337   USD            Sun   1M  ZSPECE
LH        PDX    ZRH     3337   USD            Sun   1M  ZSPECE
UA        PDX    ZRH     8244   USD                      DRE
LH        PDX    ZRH     8244   USD                      DRE
UA        PDX    ZRH    10051   USD                 12M  CR
LH        PDX    ZRH    10051   USD                 12M  CR
UA        PDX    ZRH    11278   USD                 12M  C
LH        PDX    ZRH    11278   USD                 12M  C
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by thomhartmann
I tried searching this but the search box won't take a "z" because the word is too short. Anyhow...
For future reference, there is a "United Airlines FAQ" thread stickied at the top of this forum, which is where some of the threads posted by others can be found.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Executive
booking UA vs. LH for LH metal UA codeshare

Here's what I found out about the difference between booking a LH metal codeshare with UA on the 2 airline's websites:
1) The LH metal SFO-MUC-SFO Z class business fare was available for the same price on both websites. However, the LH website explained what restrictions were required to get the deep discount Z fare. The UA website didn't show the restrictions, so if queried on the UA website with the "correct" dates you got the deep discount Z fare, otherwise you got the hugely expensive business class fare.
2) Since I live in LAS I needed LAS-SFO connections. As far as I could tell, I couldn't get the Z fare on the LH website even with an add-on for the LAS-SFO and SFO-LAS flights. I could, however, get these TED add-ons on the UA website (after first going to the LH website to find when the Z fare was available between SFO and MUC). The add-on for the TED flights on the UA website with the Z fare was about $400 versus $200 if booked as a separate trip.
3) In the actual event I booked the SFO-MUC-SFO flight on LH before I learned the above. I booked separate TED flights.
4) In the actual event I then had to cancel my entire trip. LH gave me a full refund on the Z fare minus a fee of 300. I believe I still have a credit with UA for the cancelled TED flights but after the $100 change fee it never seemed worth pursuing especially since I've found the occasional UA voucher more trouble than its worth.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:39 pm

A new Z-fare question!

I'm looking at booking a Z fare IAD-GUA (ZRT7SPCL--great deal!)

Anyway, with this fare, I get booked in F booking class on a 2 class from IAD to LAX and then Z on the actual flight to GUA. I'm wondering if I standby for an earlier flight on a 3 class from IAD to LAX if I would be on standby for a C seat or an F seat.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I believe that you would be seated in the C cabin. I'll take a three cabin C seat over 2 class domestic F seat anyday, as it is much better, IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.