Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Where is the logic? Biz Award Passenger on economy leg doesn't get economy plus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the logic? Biz Award Passenger on economy leg doesn't get economy plus?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond

I had an interesting call to 1K reservations & a supervisor yesterday. I used miles to purchase 2 international Star Biz Awards for relatives. 1 leg didn't have Biz available, but I issued the tickets anyway since it's a 2 hour leg.

I called UAL to request economy plus seats for the pax since they are in economy, but paid for C. I was informed that they cannot obtain seats in economy plus since they don't have UA status.

That makes no sense to me since economy plus is considered a higher class of service than economy, but lower class of service than has been paid.

Was I given accurate information?

I also thought that full fare pax were given E+ access, but i couldn't verify at united.com

If accurate, this seems like a terrible policy. Not only am I annoyed, but I would imagine that any star alliance frequent traveller using Biz class miles on an economy leg would find it ridiculous that they couldn't access E+ and would be turned off from frequest UA use.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

It's a stoopid policy but it's policy. FYI E+ isn't another CoS, Y is Y.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
There was a long thread a while back about people with no UA status who are flying in paid F not being able to get E+ seats for the Ted segments. Agreed that it's a silly policy.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:21 pm

If you have status, your award ticket will be in E+?
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

Originally Posted by nebratu
If you have status, your award ticket will be in E+?
Yupp. Status, EPA, buyup, or airport CSR seat assignments are the only way to get into E+.

Last edited by rar indeed; Mar 10, 2007 at 11:26 pm
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:47 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by rar indeed

Yupp. Status, EPA, buyup, or airport CSR seat assignments are the only way to get into E+.
I remember very well what convinced me that I ought to try for status. It was an 80k standard mileage award SFO-CDG trip, which got me into E+, maybe 5 years ago. E+, after having flown cattle-car on NW/KLM the previous year, was wonderful. That was that, I was hooked. Next year I was buying E+ whenever offered by Mr. Chicken (easy check-in), and moving all my (not very many) flights to UA. And shortly thereafter I made lowly 2P for the first time.

I think UA is nuts to eliminate such exposure to their E+ product. If the product carries the price (either full-fare Y or a standard award ticket), it ought to be in E+. Plain good marketing, period.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That rule is absolutely ridiculous. Also applies to full fare Y, full fare F, etc.... just ridiculous!
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Just more short-termism from the bean counters.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:41 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
That rule is absolutely ridiculous. Also applies to full fare Y, full fare F, etc.... just ridiculous!
That is the correct term for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.