Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "1,000 Mile MP Visa Upgrade Certificate" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "1,000 Mile MP Visa Upgrade Certificate" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Exclamation Consolidated "1,000 Mile MP Visa Upgrade Certificate" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Just got my 1,000 mi MP Visa U/G cert (and $25 difficult to use coupon) for a card I activated a couple of months ago. While the $25 coupon had an August 28, 2007 expiration date, the U/G cert had a November 30, 2006 expiration. I've got flights that I'll probably be able to use the cert on, but IIRC most of the U/G certs give you about a year to use them. Is this a change in policy? Any other experiences?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Just got my 1,000 mi MP Visa U/G cert (and $25 difficult to use coupon) for a card I activated a couple of months ago. While the $25 coupon had an August 28, 2007 expiration date, the U/G cert had a November 30, 2006 expiration. I've got flights that I'll probably be able to use the cert on, but IIRC most of the U/G certs give you about a year to use them. Is this a change in policy? Any other experiences?
My experience is similar to yours. $25 discount travel certificate expires in June 2007, but the 1000 mile upgrade expires in November 2006. The certificate says it's not transferrable so my spouse can't use it. I'm guessing it can't be used with an award ticket since the fine print states that "Premier members may use with any published fare."
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by divine
My experience is similar to yours. $25 discount travel certificate expires in June 2007, but the 1000 mile upgrade expires in November 2006. The certificate says it's not transferrable so my spouse can't use it. I'm guessing it can't be used with an award ticket since the fine print states that "Premier members may use with any published fare."
Award tix are nonupgradable anyways.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:54 am

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
I noticed that as well. They used to be good for 12 months from the date of issue (which is your anniversary date). Since my renewal is in July, I just received the 1,000-mile upgrade voucher which is now only good for less than 4 months.

That's crap.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Same here. It sucks. The $25 cert is basically worthless as you lose your 1,000 mile online booking bonus, and pay $10 for the honor of using the cert.

Now the upgrade cert expires in a few months.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 4:10 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Exclamation Consolidated "Questions About The Chase MP Visa 1,000 Mile UG Cert" Thread [Merged]

Got my 1000 mile u/g cert in yesterday, and it expires in Nov. I called up Chase, and they told me to write VOID across it and mail it out to some address in IL (edgion or something) and a letter saying I want a new cert with a longer expiration date. Just want to double check if thats the way to do it.

Sorry if its been posted, but Ive been in transit for more than 24hrs (SEN lounge now )
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by jason8612
Got my 1000 mile u/g cert in yesterday, and it expires in Nov. I called up Chase, and they told me to write VOID across it and mail it out to some address in IL (edgion or something) and a letter saying I want a new cert with a longer expiration date. Just want to double check if thats the way to do it.

Sorry if its been posted, but Ive been in transit for more than 24hrs (SEN lounge now )
Could you post the address here? I am in the same boat but have a tough time getting though to a Chase CSR.

Thanks
@ORD
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by @ORD
Could you post the address here? I am in the same boat but have a tough time getting though to a Chase CSR.

Thanks
@ORD
Chase

ATTN Elgin Correspondents Specialty Group

2500 Westfield Dr.

Elgin IL 60124
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:05 pm

Agh.
Called up again to verify the address and I got a new address

PO Box 15298
Wilmington De 19850-5298

Anyone know where to really send it out to?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Delaware would be a Chase main office address. Illinois would be their United contact. I would tend towards the Illinois address.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Delaware would be a Chase main office address. Illinois would be their United contact. I would tend towards the Illinois address.
Thats what I would think. Ill call up again, hopefully the 3rd call will match one of these. Since its a UA cert, UA probably would handle the reissue. I just need it for winter time.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Hyatt Diamond
MP Visa upgrade certificate

Hello all,

I am going to Seattle for a business in November. I am flying from IAD. I want to use an one-way upgrade certificate for 1,000 miles for this trip. Can I use this certificate at the time of a reservation or do I have to wait until I check-in?

Also, since IAD-SEA is well over 1,000 miles. I am thinking about transferring via either ORD or DEN or SFO. Is it worth it? I think IAD to ORD or SFO to SEA is under 1,000 miles. Not sure about DEN to SEA. Did anyone have any success for routes over 1,000 miles?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by blue0131
Can I use this certificate at the time of a reservation or do I have to wait until I check-in?
You can request the upgrade when you make the reservation, but it will only clear within your status window - 48 hours for a Premier (2P).

Originally Posted by blue0131
Also, since IAD-SEA is well over 1,000 miles. I am thinking about transferring via either ORD or DEN or SFO. Is it worth it? I think IAD to ORD or SFO to SEA is under 1,000 miles. Not sure about DEN to SEA. Did anyone have any success for routes over 1,000 miles?
You can combine the 1,000 mile upgrade with earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades. However, you cannot upgrade a trip longer than 1,050 miles with the 1,000 mile upgrade alone,
Old Sep 21, 2006, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
You will need to call (I don't think this is an on-line possibility anymore) to request an upgrade using paper 500-mi certificates. Since you are 2P, your upgrade would clear in the 48-hr window, and not before. You will also need to have other upgrade tools (i.e. additional electronic 500s) if you plan to fly SEA-IAD. If you didn't have additional upgrade tools, you would take the risk of losing your seat altogether in coach or having to take a really bad (i.e. E- center) seat. Otherwise, you could apply the upgrade cert to either SEA-SFO (679 mi) or SEA-DEN (1023 miles - more than 1000 but within the 50 mile "grace" allowance).
Old Sep 21, 2006, 4:15 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
If you only intend to upgrade one of the legs and not the whole thing.
Try doing IAD-DEN-SEA and getting the DEN-SEA leg with the 3-class 777, that will be your best use for that cert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.