What's United to Australia Like These Days

Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

What's United to Australia Like These Days

Hi,

I flew UA839 and UA840 LAX-MEL in 2005 in Y class.
If I recall correctly, the plane was rather old
and the interior banged up but not too ratty.
No individual entertainment systems, just
big screens that were ratty as well.
Meal was okay about what you expect
on an international leg. Free booze was
nice. Flight attendants were fairly good
(people keep on referring to these ancient
lizzards FA's but I didn't get them).

I'm taking the same flights again in 2007.
Anyone who has flown 839/840 recently
care to comment if things are the same
or getting worse?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
I can't recall the flight number, but I flew from LAX to Sydney last April and was in E+ and it was fine (aside from being in Y class for that long). I want to say that the metal was a 777, but I can't swear on it. Whatever the case I don't recall having any IFE issues or any other problems.

Craig
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:57 am

About the same...

I did 840, 839 in October and the service is about the same as you remember. The food is pretty terrible. There are still no individual entertainment systems. The funny thing is on the 777 from ORD-LAX there were individual entertainment systems.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Same equipment with no upgrades since your last flight. That's why I would NEVER do 15 hours transpac in Y on UA 744. Get into C or F and it is tolerable. Otherwise expect all the same as your last trip.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:00 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It's the same as 2005, at least in Y. I flew 839 and 840 in Nov 2006.

Everyone says E+ sucks on the 747, but for me, I definitely appreciated it. Not much else to smile about though, it's a long boring trip. I planned ahead and had plenty to keep occupied.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 2P, IHG Royal Ambassador
We're on 863 2 April and 840 22 April in C, which although a bit dated, we enjoy. Few if any refurbishments in Y recently- it's worth the 60k to upgrade.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Originally Posted by gregdane
We're on 863 2 April and 840 22 April in C, which although a bit dated, we enjoy. Few if any refurbishments in Y recently- it's worth the 60k to upgrade.
Hey Greg,

How far in advance did you book this itinerary to confirm those upgrades? I've been looking for SYD, and the soonest is a few months out.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 2P, IHG Royal Ambassador
Hi Portishead:
Actually this is a rebooking of a trip orginally scheduled for Nov 2006- I think I rebooked in late October 2006.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Oh well. Hopefully at least one way the flight will be near empty.

I'm flying in Mid May and I hope LAX-MEL is empty.

The QANTAS product is a bit better (personal entertainment
units, less scruffy plane) but the bottom line is that 15 hours
is 15 hours and it doesn't help THAT much.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by inpd
Oh well. Hopefully at least one way the flight will be near empty.

I'm flying in Mid May and I hope LAX-MEL is empty.

The QANTAS product is a bit better (personal entertainment
units, less scruffy plane) but the bottom line is that 15 hours
is 15 hours and it doesn't help THAT much.
UA's E+ beats QF's E for seating
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aspen
True, an extra 3-5 inches matters when its 15 hours,
but Qantas's inflight enterainment system is great,
playing games, watching one of 10 channels etc is
wonderful.

The QF FA are a bit nicer and the planes are much
newer.

But its still a 15 hour flight (22 hours when you fly from the
east-coast) so it will still be bad!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
I can't recall the flight number, but I flew from LAX to Sydney last April and was in E+ and it was fine (aside from being in Y class for that long). I want to say that the metal was a 777, but I can't swear on it. Whatever the case I don't recall having any IFE issues or any other problems.

Craig
You were obviously hallucinating from the long flight. The ONLY equipment that has ever been flown by UA from LAX and SFO to SYD is an ancient 747-400.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AS, WN
Just arrived back in the states today on 840. Everything remains as the OP remembered.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

I flew UA839 and UA840 LAX-MEL in 2005 in Y class. If I recall correctly, the plane was rather old and the interior banged up but not too ratty.
No individual entertainment systems, just big screens that were ratty as well.
Meal was okay about what you expect on an international leg. Free booze was nice. Flight attendants were fairly good (people keep on referring to these ancient lizzards FA's but I didn't get them).

I'm taking the same flights again in 2007.
Anyone who has flown 839/840 recently
care to comment if things are the same
or getting worse?

Yes, I just flew UA 839 LAX-SYD on Feb. 15, 2007. I am still in SYD and return on March 5. Everything above that was true in 2005 is exactly the same today. The ancient lizards are working in F and C classes, not in coach. BTW, the actual flight time was 13 hours, 30 minutes and NOT 15 hours as reported above by others. Our flight was scheduled to arrive at 8:05 AM and we arrived at 7:45 AM.

If anything is different, and I am not really sure, is that I was surprised by the tiny portions for the main meal (chicken or beef only, no vegetarian option). I had the beef and it was just OK, not great. But they later will serve a cold sandwich (turkey & cheese), and a hot breakfast just before landing. If you want a beer, keep in mind that they DO serve Aussie beer (VB) on this flight, and VB is an excellent beer (in case you didn't already know that).

Finally, I sat in exit row seat 35C and I was extremely happy with that choice. It provides unlimited leg room (the pitch is well over 50 inches). It's true that you are next to the lavatory and people will congregate near you, but that's a small price to pay for the extra space. Oddly, I slept better in that seat than I did during my 2005 trip in C class on the upper deck! Economy is quite managable in 35C.

Last edited by DCBob; Feb 27, 2007 at 6:55 pm
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Aspen
I am not quite understand about all the letters you wrote...would you please let me know the different of those and how would I know which letter I have on my ticket?

This is our first time travel to Australia and we are from East Coast....will be long fly for us with small children.

I saw UA tickets are less expensive then Qantas. However, I am not sure if it worth to pay couple hundred extra for 1 tix to go with Qantas.

Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.