UA Graduation miles for dual BS degrees

 

Old Feb 25, 07, 4:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: United lowly 2P, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage
Posts: 155
UA Graduation miles for dual BS degrees

I am aware that UA has awards 10,000 miles if its member graduates from college or grad school (i.e. one has to send proof of graduation to them and they eventually deposite the miles in the members account).

Now, what if one obtains dual Bachlors degrees sumultaneously (and therefore obtains two college diplomas, one for a BS and for a BA)... Would it be possible to spin this all in such a way as to pocket two 10,000 miles graduation bonuses?

...Now, yes, I know this is pretty overzealous to ask, its the FT's "get all the miles you can" culture afterall, isn't it?
dmitriy55 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 4:47 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bouncing around
Posts: 1,271
I'd send it in anyways, since your plan for dual bachelor's degree doesn't hinge on the mileage offer and miles is just icing on the cake .. or does it?
bhmlurker is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 4:48 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,328
I don't think this would work unless the degrees were awarded on different dates (I think they keep track of the awarding of bonus miles by graduation date).

It can't hurt to try, though.
soitgoes is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 4:50 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: United lowly 2P, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage
Posts: 155
Originally Posted by bhmlurker View Post
I'd send it in anyways, since your plan for dual bachelor's degree doesn't hinge on the mileage offer and miles is just icing on the cake .. or does it?
There should be a new FT bumper sticker: "I am sending my kids to college for the miles"
dmitriy55 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 5:08 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central CT
Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Posts: 1,469
Does anyone have details on this program? I have one recent grad, and one about-to-be, and both have MP accounts.
SportsTech is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 5:10 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: United lowly 2P, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage
Posts: 155
Originally Posted by SportsTech View Post
Does anyone have details on this program? I have one recent grad, and one about-to-be, and both have MP accounts.
There you go: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,3106,00.html

Hope this helps!
dmitriy55 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 5:12 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: United 1P, AA Plat, US Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 830
Originally Posted by dmitriy55 View Post
I am aware that UA has awards 10,000 miles if its member graduates from college or grad school (i.e. one has to send proof of graduation to them and they eventually deposite the miles in the members account).

Now, what if one obtains dual Bachlors degrees sumultaneously (and therefore obtains two college diplomas, one for a BS and for a BA)... Would it be possible to spin this all in such a way as to pocket two 10,000 miles graduation bonuses?

...Now, yes, I know this is pretty overzealous to ask, its the FT's "get all the miles you can" culture afterall, isn't it?
I mean this entirely in a nice way, but what good is having two degrees considering the above?

I think the point of the bonus miles is a reward for graduating college. Whether you earn one degree or two, you are still graduating college, therefore entitling you to only 10,000 miles.

Last edited by Phoenician Aviator; Feb 25, 07 at 5:25 pm
Phoenician Aviator is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 5:23 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: IAD-DCA
Programs: Won Kay
Posts: 1,324
This thread got me all excited about 10,000 "found" miles since I will graduate this summer with my second Masters - only to find out you have to be a "full-time" student. What about someone who works full-time and gets a degree?!!
roadkit is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 5:28 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home
Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Posts: 7,618
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
I don't think this would work unless the degrees were awarded on different dates...
Originally Posted by Phoenician Aviator View Post
...I think the point of the bonus miles is a reward for graduating college. Whether you earn one degree or two, you are still graduating college, therefore entitling you to only 10,000 miles.
I don't think the graduation dates matter.

I recall UA College Plus will grant 10K bonus graduation miles for each level of completed degree, i.e Bachelor's, Master's and Ph.D. So dual degree or not, it's still the same level of undergrad degree, hence 10K bonus miles.
lin821 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 5:30 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Central CT
Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Posts: 1,469
Originally Posted by dmitriy55 View Post
Excellent, thank you. Now, as soon as .bomb stops it's "technical difificulties" we'll be collecting our miles!
SportsTech is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 5:42 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: United lowly 2P, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage
Posts: 155
Originally Posted by SportsTech View Post
Excellent, thank you. Now, as soon as .bomb stops it's "technical difificulties" we'll be collecting our miles!
Here's the info from it in case .bomb is inaccessible:

Graduation Bonus

We will help you celebrate your college graduation with 10,000 Mileage Plus bonus miles. Just send the following to the address below, and your bonus will be posted to your account within 4--6 weeks of receipt:

* A copy of your final transcript showing that you did indeed graduate as a full-time student from a U.S. college or university.*
* Your United College Plus/Mileage Plus account number.**
* Your e-mail address.

Mileage Plus, Inc.
P.O. Box 40
Rapid City, SD 57709
Attn: College Plus Graduation
dmitriy55 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 6:00 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SFO / SJC
Programs: United 1K MM, Starwood Platinum
Posts: 581
You also have to send in the transcript within 12 months of graduating.
goplaces is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 6:05 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 128
Does anyone know if an associates of arts degree qualifies?

My bestfriend's little sister is set to get one from a 2 year College, while she is still attending highschool. I think she graduates from both schools in May. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have her make an account and send in her diploma just incase.
Julest is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 6:14 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by lin821 View Post
I don't think the graduation dates matter.

I recall UA College Plus will grant 10K bonus graduation miles for each level of completed degree, i.e Bachelor's, Master's and Ph.D. So dual degree or not, it's still the same level of undergrad degree, hence 10K bonus miles.
I'm a little sad that I didn't find out about this program sooner. I just got two degrees in the last two years, but I guess you have to have already been a member before you graduated.

Still have one more degree to go though. Do you think they would give the bonus for an MD as well?
cpmed43 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 07, 8:33 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: HOU
Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Posts: 605
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm expecting 10k when I graduate law school. I think that's in the terms. I imagine med school as well. Just check the terms .

Originally Posted by cpmed43 View Post
I'm a little sad that I didn't find out about this program sooner. I just got two degrees in the last two years, but I guess you have to have already been a member before you graduated.

Still have one more degree to go though. Do you think they would give the bonus for an MD as well?
entilzhaFT is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread