Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Thread [Merged]

The Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Thread [Merged]

Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Ch 9 wasn't on for either of my legs this past weekend, ORD-ATL-ORD. It wasn't even mentioned in the pre-flight droning on the way down, although it was on the way back. I didn't bother asking because I figured (rightly, as it turned out) I'd be asleep the whole trip, anyway (I don't do well getting up at 0400!).
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Fortunately, I have Channel 9 on an overwhelming percentage of flights, so I rarely have to ask. Sometimes I pay the pilots a visit in the cockpit before the flight and mention Channel 9, and they always have it on. Sometimes they even let me turn the switch.
Did anyone else immediately picture the scene in Wargames where the woman on the tour got to press the button and thought she'd started World War III, but only welcomed the distinguished visitors from Birmingham?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by DogHead
Few weeks ago on LHR-SFO. Initially Ch9 is off, so I ask FA about it. Minute later she's back "Ch9 will be on 45 min into the flight and then 45 min prior to landing". "Is there a specific reason?" I ask. She comes back with answer from cockpit "They say there's nothing interesting in-between". I say: "Tell the Captain that I like boredom". She comes back laughing: "Captain wants to know if you're one of >them< ". I reply: "Yes... with special handshake and all". Last message from cockpit: "Captain says: >May force be with you<".

Result? Ch9 was on for whole duration of the flight.
During first drink service I asked FA if she wasn't bothered by messaging between cockpit and my seat. She said: "Not at all, it was very funny and interesting".

Otherwise, fantastic LHR/SFO based crew... UA needs more employees like them.
I e-mailed UA with commendation.
don't tell them about the handshake
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
FWIW we try to provide positive reinforcement by thanking either cabin crew or flight crew (if available) for providing it as we exit.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:41 pm

Programs: InterContinental Ambassador
So, channel 9 is for listening to radio communication between the cockpit and Air Traffic Control? Is it Ground Control as well (for taxi-ing purposes)?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:46 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TriscuiT
So, channel 9 is for listening to radio communication between the cockpit and Air Traffic Control? Is it Ground Control as well (for taxi-ing purposes)?
Yes.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL
You can normally even listen to ramp control if that airport/terminal uses has one.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
asked for it today, SAN-SFO. Upon boarding, I noticed it was off, but that was because the IFE wasnt turned on. Lovely FA asked the captain, and it was on soon thereafter.

The usual "boring" stuff for most of the flight. Then, when getting lined up to land heard about a "lifeguard" flight landing on the parallel runway. THEN, when takiing to the gate, heard about a medical emergency on a departing plane that asked to return to the gate and have paramedics standing by. Tower asked specifics, and the reply was "passenger sweating profusely and in severe distress."

To answer the OP, yes I ask for it. If not at boarding, I'll ask the FA at the PDB. Negative replies by the crew, or FAs not bothering to ask (usually when in Y), are noted on the survey.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by pilottim747
You can normally even listen to ramp control if that airport/terminal uses has one.
Sometimes, the conversations between Flow/Ground are more interesting than the ones with the tower and ATC. ^ It also gives a really good idea of what is happening at and around the airport, and whether your flight will push back and depart on time. That's why I pop the headset on right after I hog up the overhead bin and take my seat. It also allows time to ask the crew if/when Ch. 9 will be turned on.
Last year, right after boarding, I had a little discussion with a purser a on 3-class 767. It went something like this:
Me: "Will Channel 9 be available tonight?"
Her: "The captain briefed us that he would turn it on."
Me: "It's not on yet. Actually, none of the channels are working."
Her: "I'll ask the flight deck." (returns shortly) "He says it is on."
Me: "Thanks, then you might want to check the IFE system, since nothing is working."
Her: "No, no, he says Channel 9 is on..."
Me: "I'm sure it is, but the entertainment system is off."
This continued for a minute, until she finally understood and went to flip the breaker, or whatever the FA's do to turn on the IFE. Worked perfectly.
Sometimes, the FA's just don't understand. I gotta have my Channel 9! Otherwise, I might as well fly some other AAirline.

2007 Channel 9 check: 5/6 flights thus far.
2006: something like 54/60.
(UX equipment does not count.)
Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:55 pm

It is whatever their active frequency is - in otherwords the frequency tuned to wherever the pilot will talk when he pushes his button. You typically will follow from ground (pushoff & taxi) to Tower (clearance for takeoff) to Departure (getting out of the greater airport area) to Center (enroute) to Arrival (approaching the greater airport area) to Tower (within about 3 miles, clearance to land) to ground (taxi to gate).
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:02 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
UA, I know you are reading this.. make it mandatory to have Ch 9 on, after all, it's listed on the entertainement guide..
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:17 pm

Point of Order... The "Flight Deck" program for channel 9 is only listed on aircraft larger than 757's. On 757's it's listed as either "Flight Deck" or some XM stuff, and on 737's it's not offered at all.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by robb
Did anyone else immediately picture the scene in Wargames where the woman on the tour got to press the button and thought she'd started World War III, but only welcomed the distinguished visitors from Birmingham?
The launch code for the nukes was CPE1704TKS

Yes, I am that much of a geek.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by VentureForth
Point of Order... The "Flight Deck" program for channel 9 is only listed on aircraft larger than 757's. On 757's it's listed as either "Flight Deck" or some XM stuff, and on 737's it's not offered at all.
Channel 9 certainly does work on 737s, not sure why you would say otherwise.

I have never even thought to ask if the captain would leave channel 9 on for the entire flight, that is a great idea. I hate it when on 757/767 flights they switch to the XM stuff mid-flight. The flights I've been on where that happened it never returned to ATC communication before landing... I'll be sure to ask next time.^
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Channel 9 should be added to the predeparture check list

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.