Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie 1K - Ever get Oped up from C to F?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Newbie 1K - Ever get Oped up from C to F?

Hey Folks

I am flying to Asia with an upgrade using a SWU.

Any other 1k's ever get oped up from C to F if they are in C on an upgrade?

Just wondering.(one of the flights look full in Y)

Love my 1K card and those SWU's!!

Please don't flame...I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks for all the input on this site!
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I did once, but that was a long long time ago.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:07 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Nop. Probably never will. they will probably upgrade paying C customers first, then the upgrading ones.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I've been op-upped C->F, but only ever on Z fares. C or D fares I've already upgraded to F.

If booked in NC, I've never been op-upped, but that is not surprising since UA really doesn't like to double-upgrade. Apparently any paid fare (no status or GM) will be upgraded before NC according to UA policy. Some will tell you that it has happened to them, and it probably has, but it is extremely rare and a factor of circumstance, not policy. Don't expect it.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

Ditto what qasr says. In all my years as a 1K, I've never gotten the double up to F. You'll see the occasional post on FT from someone to whom it has happened, but it is in highly unusual situations that could never be anticipated or replicated.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by boulderflyer21
Hey Folks
Any other 1k's ever get oped up from C to F if they are in C on an upgrade?
yes and no.

i was op'd up C->F on BKK/NRT a few years back. but i wasn't a 1K then, i was 1P.

was flying on a saver XC ticket.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA
I only got once OP Up'd from upgraded C (travelling with my wife). I was the only GS on the flight from Buenos Aires to IAD. This was June last year. I usually fly on C or D fares and there OP UP chances are higher but Asia is a tough one. Too many people on paid C burning their miles or SWU's for the lay flat seats.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

It will be rarer and rarer for the 1K.

First, they will upgrade paid pax to F. Then, GS will come next. After that, the 1K's. I was lucky this year so far to get 2 double ups on international flights, but that's only because of GS.

Don't count on it.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:38 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Despite 'The Speech' and other attempts, never had a 'gate op-up'. I plan my trips well in advance, and am always on cheap coach fares...I always try to upgrade anyway (never run out of 500 milers, SWUs or CR-1s)...

I did, a few times get put into 3-class F either by accident or bumps during irregular ops.

HOWEVER, a few weeks ago, was flying LAX-JFK on a PS redeye. Was in no hurry to get to NYC, and if that's the case, I always ask if they're looking for volunteers...Went up to the gate agent about 5 mins before boarding and said, "Not sure if you're looking for volunteers or not--if you're overbooked, I'm interested" as I flashed my boarding pass for business (in the best seat--exit row window). She said, "I need your seat...Window or aisle in first class?" Stunned and not really caring, I just said "I appreciate the upgrade, wherever you want to put me!" She said, "I'm glad you came up...I was just going to start paging 1Ks in no particular order".

Got to fly 3-class, P.S. F for the first time, on a $300 r/t coach ticket!

Didn't get the double upgrade on the return--and I was actually disappointed!
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:41 pm
Suspended

NEVER been op-upped from NC to F, even on a Y fare. At LHR, I watched a 2P on a C fare get upped to F, while I was in NC from a Y fare. IMHO, UA did the right thing.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Once on PS upgraded to C from coach and then bumped to first. Agent in the RCC when he paged me told me "it is your lucky day". Everyone paying for C had been already moved out to first and they needed one more C seat and I was the highest FF status on the flight. The other time, was on upgraded coach to business from NRT-JFK. They mangled my seating and the very nice GA at NRT bumped me to first because I was so polite about pointing out what had happened I suspect.

Oh, and those two times are out of maybe 700,000 miles as a 1K. I wouldnt hold my breath
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Certainly VERY unlikely, but anything can happen. Still, I would consider it next to impossible. That being said, I know of an FT'er that consistently has luck double upgrading, which of course is not allowed.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Once we were flying DEN-IAD on a 777 in upgraded C. The flight was oversold so we volunteered for a bump. They didn't need our seats but the agent working the flight put us in F to say "thank you." But like others have said, the coveted double op-up is very rare.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1KUGS, AA Plat., SPG Plat., Hertz Five*
I've been opt'ed up only on Z fares. Seems like last year I was not allowed to sit in C, my only option was F

Once, I was traveling with my ex-gf on the same itinerary booked in Z. We were both bumped up to F. I was so sure that we were not going to get opt'ed up that I actually panicked a little when our BPs got rejected while boarding with C. Luckily the GA didn't take long to hand us our F BPs.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:08 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Yes, I have.

Few other threads in the UA forum on this....

Two years ago, my partner and I were on our anniversary trip.

We had bought economy tickets ROC-IAD-LHR-IAD-ROC.

We had upgraded with SWU's to Business Class.

We were double op'd from business to first suite from IAD-LHR.

William

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.