Wiki Posts
Search

Is Ameniti Program Worth it??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Is Ameniti Program Worth it??

So what's the overall consensus on this one? It seems the big benefit is the 2 for 1 tickets but since the first ticket has to be refundable and basically full fare I don't really see the savings. The flights I've checked are twice as much for a refundable ticket than a nonrefundable anyway so you still pay for that second ticket. Is there something to this that I'm just not understanding?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plenty of threads on this already. I think it is worth it for the 25K miles, RCC passes, SPG gold (if you don't already have it), and Conda Nest magazine. It is usually $295, but I would wait since it dips down to $220 every once in a while, which is a real steal!^
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
and you can forego the Conde Nast mag and get a refund and lower your cost even further
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jessej
and you can forego the Conde Nast mag and get a refund and lower your cost even further
Really? Never heard of this. Any clue how much they cut off the cost for it?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:47 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
I really miss the double miles on all flights + monthly charge offer... That was a steal.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ERtraveler
So what's the overall consensus on this one? It seems the big benefit is the 2 for 1 tickets but since the first ticket has to be refundable and basically full fare I don't really see the savings. The flights I've checked are twice as much for a refundable ticket than a nonrefundable anyway so you still pay for that second ticket. Is there something to this that I'm just not understanding?
As lucky said try the seach......

But a quick rule of thumb, if you usually buy refundable/full fare tickets ameniti might be for you...

If you are used to buying discounted tickets, or try to fly "cheap" it will not be worth it.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
IIRC, not much. Like $15?

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Really? Never heard of this. Any clue how much they cut off the cost for it?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:14 pm

Since SQ pulled out, it no longer worth it to me.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Never got the mag or the wine. Only the RCC passes. It's a waste of money.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by CApreppie
If you are still a member, call them up and tell them you never got those items. They are pretty good about getting that fixed up, even if they're not very good about getting them delivered in the first place.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:47 pm

Not worth the money
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond BMI Silver
I agree it is not worth it mainly because if you look around you can find cheaper prices for tickets than amenti can and yes they offer spg gold but these days it is practicly walley candy. Then the magazine they offer is nothing compared to what flyertalk.com offers.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: 1K
Ameniti Can be WELL worth it

ER Traveler and I have discussed this before on another site (and BTW, ER Traveler, I wouldn't call this an overwhelmingly negative view of Ameniti), but if you travel often to locations where United has a standard discounted first fare (which is the same as their full fare), then Ameniti can be an amazing deal for you.

We travel often from the San Francisco to Hawaii. For the last three years, United has had a standard discounted first fare, currently $2300 per person. This discounted first fare is ALSO the full first fare. With Ameniti's fee of $300and its "Private fare" (their actual basis) of $2800 for two, it costs $1550 per person, as opposed to $2300, a one-time savings of $750. Since we fly to Hawaii at least twice a year, which also lowers the amortized cost of Ameniti membership), we save even more. And further, as four of us fly each time, we have two ameniti memberships. We save thousands of dollars each year via Ameniti. If it doesn't work out for us on any other fare, ever, it's still worth it for us.

I check the full fares in all classes every time we fly, and have had occasions where United has dropped its full business or first fare to make this an even better deal. Now that the new "improved" website offers you a listing of all fares for your route (on the "by price" tab), it makes it even easier.

For us, Ameniti is well worth it.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:04 pm

I dont know, when I bought Ameniti last year, I thought it would be worth it on a price/mile basis to buy 2 for 1 first class from LAX to OGG and/or KOA rather than buying discounted tickets and upgrading with miles. Once I actually priced out the difference from discounted Y tickets upgraded with miles versus the way over-priced Ameniti 2 for 1 fare, it was out of whack imho and I used the miles instead.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Originally Posted by CApreppie
same and never used any of the features and had to fight to get the miles posted. if you need the miles for a an upcoming award it takes over 6 months for the miles to post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.