Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

what's the cheapest way to gain access to rcc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's the cheapest way to gain access to rcc?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Originally Posted by zrs70
you can buy an AC MLC membership for about 350 USD. Gets you RCC access whenever you fly UA. I don't have a RCC membership though I fly UA only.
What is the advantage to this?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:47 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by heffa
If I had $50 in my hand, I would definitely not give it to a RCC matron in order to have to beg for a coke in the RCC bar. Go to any restaurant and sit there and relax with a decent meal and a nice glas of wine...

I'm sooo with you here. I guess with most of the airports I visit (SEA, SFO, ORD) having nice bars/food courts and wi-fi throughout the terminal I don't see what the RCC offers that is worth the $. I can call the 1K line when there are irregular ops.

However; the OP seems determined to get a membership at low/no cost.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:58 pm

Temporarily become a mouse.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
Temporarily become a mouse.
@:-) @:-) @:-)

How?

Care to share?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Talking

There is one sneaky way... absolutely free if your credit card has a large line of credit, but be aware: some people may have an ethic issue with it.

Buy an int'l C or F ticket on the day of travel, receive a BP, get in RCC, then cancel.

This way you don't need to become a temporary Mouse.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
Originally Posted by kb1992
There is one sneaky way...
Not sure exactly how much it might cost for the transaction, but what if you were to have two credit cards and on the one that's your MP Visa Card, you purchase an item on EBay that you put up for sale for $45,000. You should get 1 mile for every $1 spent on the credit card ... so depending on how much the credit card's annual fee is + the transaction cost for Pay Pal ... you might make it down to $150 or so.

[Yeah, I don't think it'll work either, but it is interesting!]
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K_MM, AA EX_PLT Hyatt/Hilton Dia, Mar Gold, IHG PLT, Amtrak S++, Hertz 5Star, Avis First
Become the spouse of a 1K. It only costs $50 or 5000 miles extra, I think.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:25 pm
gkh

Programs: UA 1P
I buy the passes on Ebay for about $25 each. Expiration dates are usually 6-9 months out and usually go through about 3-4 each year. Like others, lots of tight connections, but nice to have back-up RCC passes for irregular ops. Now I've just created more competition for my own bids----drat!
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by gkh
I buy the passes on Ebay for about $25 each. Expiration dates are usually 6-9 months out and usually go through about 3-4 each year. Like others, lots of tight connections, but nice to have back-up RCC passes for irregular ops. Now I've just created more competition for my own bids----drat!
Ha! Thats a great idea.

My co-worker and I jumped on an offer late last summer to get an RCC membership for 35,000 miles. AT the time it made sense as we were seeing lots of long layovers as well as delays/missed connections at ORD and IAD. However as a previous poster mentioned the RCC's here in the US are pretty lousy in comparison to some of the international ones (such as NRT). I doubt I will renew for next year and will go the day pass route when need be.

Craig
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:27 pm
Les

Programs: CO Platinum
You can buy a one day Delta Crown Room pass for $25. Buy multiples even cheaper and they have an open bar. You do not need to be flying Delta. I have an upcoming United flight to FRA via IAD from TPA. I plan to use the Delta lounge at TPA. Personally, the RCC at IAD sucks .
Old Feb 21, 2007, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Les
You can buy a one day Delta Crown Room pass for $25. Buy multiples even cheaper and they have an open bar. You do not need to be flying Delta. I have an upcoming United flight to FRA via IAD from TPA. I plan to use the Delta lounge at TPA. Personally, the RCC at IAD sucks .
I am about to say this is the same problem like the pervious poster jzoz01 suggest about buying a nwa membership. You know not all airports have shared terminals. OP has mentioned he fly UA only domestic, and if he fly out of LAX or SFO or EWR, how can he access the DL or NW lounge ? The UA terminal has different security than the DL and NW terminal, besides, once you get past security, you can't walk to other terminals, and I don't think you can access other terminals without a boarding pass of that airline. ORD doesn't have a problem, but do you really want to walk to the DL crown room when you are flying on UA ? That is a half hour walk back and fourth.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by juniorflyer
I am a frequent traveler but i feel 500 bux is a bit much for the club. What is the cheapest option (not using miles) to gain access to the red carpet club? in other words which altrernative cheaper membership including credit cards, will give me access?
Thanks
Check out prioritypass, they have three type of membership, the cheapest one may apply to you, pay an cheap annual fee, then access each time $25, but as someone mentioned, not all US RCC are included. You have to check it out on their list. If you always fly through ORD, SFO, and LAX, it is out of the question.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:22 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
I was talking to Frink yesterday about getting the cheapest RCC membership. I was thinking that once I hit 1K I would join at the lowest rate possible. Then I was thinking I could get it even cheaper if I had a spouse or domestic partner and we could share the price of the RCC membership. I am about to post to see if it is allowed to request a fellow UA'er who wants to buy a membership to join up as partners. The cost would be $175 which would kick butt. I also called the RED Carpet Club number and was informed that no identification was needed to prove that the spouse/domestic partner even lives with you, etc... But you do have to sign an affidavit, which sounds weird to me. But has anyone ever thought of doing something like this? I mean it technically could save you hundreds of $$$$$.

Last edited by hsxagent; Feb 21, 2007 at 4:28 pm Reason: Updated...
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hsxagent
it technically could save you hundreds of $$$$$.
You can often save money if you're willing to falsify a legal document.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by germansoks
... or hanging out by the door and begging to be someones "guest"
Has anyone ever actually done this??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.