Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Times in Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Transfer Times in Frankfurt

I am flying form Budapest back to IAD through FRA. Is 1 hr. enough time to make the transfer?

Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:00 am

You should be okay provided there are no delays and that you have your FRA -IAD boarding pass.

It will be tight since you will have to go through secondary screening for the US bound flights. The lines can sometimes be very long.

Being *G will help.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, 2MM
I think it will be tight. The problem is that to get into the terminal where all the UA US-bound flights originate there is extra security screening. I flew BUD-FRA-IAD recently and the problem was switching terminals. There was probably a 30 minute wait for the extra x-ray screening... set up upstairs in the hall behind the RCC. When I finally got through, we were already 15 minutes into boarding. I was walking down that long hall to I believe gate C8 for the 747 (after waiting in the security line forever with a C boarding pass where they only had TWO lanes open with probably 200 people trying to get through) and someone with UA passed me and said "are you flying to Washington"? I said "yes" and he literally yelled back at me "then please go faster!". I told him I wasn't going to walk any faster than I was and he stormed off. Moral of the story... don't waste any time... get to your connecting flight ASAP! (And don't give in to any grouchy UA employees who yell at you for walking too slowly along the way...)
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, UA (no status, but lots of miles!)
I flew from DXB on LH to FRA and then had 1hr connection to ORD on UA. I made it with plenty of time to spare and I didn't even have a boarding pass. I was waiting at the gate and getting slightly impatient and the document agent told me not to worry - they had plenty of time.

I would go for it!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1P, NW Gold
On 01/23/07 I flew LED-FRA-ORD with 1 hour connecting time and no boarding pass. I went to the transfer desk to get my boarding pass, got on the train to departure terminal (gate A62), stopped at a duty free shop and had about another 20 minutes to departure. That was a 4:45 p.m. flight, no waiting at the security check and plane was half empty.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
I just transfered at FRA on UA to FLR on LH with 1 hr 10 min connection on Sunday. We made a short stop at the counter to get my friend's boarding pass, went through the elite screening, walked to the gate and got on the last bus out to the plane on the tarmac. So do not stop for coffee or anything else!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:47 pm

I did BUD-FRA - flight was actually a few mins early. As someone said earlier, don't dawdle, in case there is a long line at the secondary security in Term C by RCC... they still use wands there for screening.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by uaflyer15
There was probably a 30 minute wait for the extra x-ray screening... set up upstairs in the hall behind the RCC.
Wow, I've never seen any wait at that checkpoint at all. Maybe it depends on day of week or time of day, but lately I've been going to the Senators lounge in B if I have any time at all, then taking the secret shortcut to that checkpoint, and I've never had any problem. If I saw a 30-minute wait there, I'd probably backtrack, go through passport control, out to the departure hall, back in through the main C security... and that would probably be pretty stupid since I guess there would be a long wait there too, eh?
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Sounds like the usual FT disinformation and old wive's tales.....
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, 2MM
Originally Posted by jd2000
Wow, I've never seen any wait at that checkpoint at all. Maybe it depends on day of week or time of day, but lately I've been going to the Senators lounge in B if I have any time at all, then taking the secret shortcut to that checkpoint, and I've never had any problem. If I saw a 30-minute wait there, I'd probably backtrack, go through passport control, out to the departure hall, back in through the main C security... and that would probably be pretty stupid since I guess there would be a long wait there too, eh?
No, I think if you went through passport control and back in through the "front" entrance it would probably be quicker, as there would be elite security lines. It's just that back hallway by the RCC that only has the one line.

And no, definitely not an old wive's tale. Every single PAX in that line was complaining and I just there and thought about how long it was until I was served warm nuts.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I too went through that most hateful line behind the RCC. Two physical lines narrowing to one screening machine and all hand wanding. They checked everyone and everything. It was horrible. The long walk to C8, then waiting forever for a bus out to the remote stand. It was the worst gate/security experience I've ever done - well over 45 minutes from arriving at the security check-point (after leaving the SEN lounge) to getting to the gate. I actually got to the gate 15 minutes before departure. I had allowed myself an hour total, which I needed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.