Search

I like IAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow I like IAD

Okay, it seems that majority opinion on this forum is that IAD = hell.

Yesterday I connected at IAD for the first time in my life. (hard to believe, huh )

NRT-IAD UA 804
IAD-BOS UA 822

Everything went smoothly. And IAD is not bad!

1) Unlike ORD, the delays at IAD seem less frequent ^ because you don't see millions of plans trying to land and take off at the same time.

2) Getting off immigration and walking into RCC is really easy. ^ No need to change terminals. It's even easier than SFO for int'l arrival and connection.

It took me few minutes straight up to the RCC at C7. And it's a nice RCC, ^ not many people there. My gate to BOS is C11, was also nearby.

So I was pleased with IAD. ^ Although I would be even happier if they rebuild IAD and make it look like DTW.

Am I too far off base here in prasing IAD?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think most of us just hate that the interior looks like it is an airport in a third world country, and not the capital of the United States. Furthermore, the lounge dragons seem to do a good job at ruining the RCC's even more.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:55 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Someone actually likes IAD????
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
I like it too. I always get great connections and have just enough time to hit the club have a smoke and board. should be interesting when the train starts and the moon buggies get retired.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
It is much worse if you are originating from IAD - check in between 3-5p daily is just horrible.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:04 am
Suspended

slightly ot but kev how did you like the nrt non stop, Ive thought about it but Im too much of a miles whore and usually stop in lax of sfo. That "direct" flight iad sin is a real killer on miles.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Judging by the thread title, this should be a short-lived thread.

While IAD has not been renovated since I've been alive (UNITED959's birth year = 1979), it's not bad for connections.

The two main downfalls are (1) that barn/warehouse thing they have where you board RJs through garage doors and (2) if you start your travel at IAD (security is a nightmare as is getting to IAD if you're coming from D.C.).
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Actually, kb1992 , you're not alone. I like it too.

Thanks to Dunkin Donuts

But seriously, many of the hellish experiences reported here about IAD are highlighted/inflamed by irregular operations. But as to what you have experienced, on a smooth day, IAD is fine.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
My favorite part of IAD is the ground shuttle 'set up for your convenience and viewing of the various aircraft on the runway.'

I always find this 20-minute delay and additional time away from my family worth it -- even on a Friday night at 10:00 pm. I particuarly appreciate the fact that the shuttle is always completely packed and that it was designed where the driver has to squeeze his way from the back to the front of the car each trip. Great engineering.

Beyond that, it's hard to beat the charm of the G Terminal.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Although the looks of IAD may not be the most appealing, I like IAD for the fact that it works well for me as a transit airport. For connections (starting out in SFO), I choose, in order, IAD, ORD and lastly DEN. YMMV.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:44 am
Suspended

Hate to date myself, but I flew out of IAD when it was New. I was stationed in Va. Back then the moon-buggies were space age and brought you out to your plane on the tarmac.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Yikes!
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
They must be spiking the IAD air conditioning with nitrous oxide. Either that or there is some kind of subliminal hypnosis on IAD-bound flights. It's the only possible explanation for any sane person to say "I like IAD."
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:58 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I've Gotten More Used To It Than I Would Have Thought

I used to fly twice a month US BOS to DCA on the shuttle, and have migrated to where now I fly 90% BOS to IAD on UA. The reasons for the change were due to poor customer service at US DCA, much higher fares (sometimes 3-4x), and a better and more interesting flying experience on UA compared to US e.g. channel 9, glass cups in first, and more opportunities to get bumped like when IAD is in summer time chaos.

I often go to DC for the day, and I have gotten used to the commute to/from IAD perhaps more than I thought I would. If you enter security say around 9:00 P.M. it isn't that bad. Also one trick if you take Super Shuttle, you have to play with the system to get a later pick up time, but say if you book a pick up from down town DC at 8:00P-8:30P you will probably go directly to IAD because:
(A) There are not that many people going in for late flights; and
(B) The other people that are going in use the "suggested" arrival times of like 2 hours before, so they will already be at the airport .
I can only think of 1 time when I did not get a direct ride on Super Shuttle from DC down town to IAD when leaving around 8:00 P.M.
I have had good and bad days at IAD, but I don't think its that much worse than other major stations. Most issues at IAd have also been with the Express operation, which might be similar in other express locations where the work is contracted out. Contrast at a station like BOS, Express is handled by main line UA agents.

One thing for instance at DEN I would wonder about is whether there are any near by hotels since its in the middle of no where?

They certainly could spruce IAD up, and the train will be a welcome change, let's just hope it is really faster say if going to D gates, if it first stops at A, B, and C.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Immigration is why I hate IAD. The set up is horrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.