Wiki Posts
Search

UA 954 SFO to LHR cancelled tonight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
UA 954 SFO to LHR cancelled tonight

Was at SFO tonight saw that the evening 777 to LHR was cancelled. I've flown that trip many times and have never seen a cancellation. Weather was not a factor, so must be a mechanical or something else. Any ideas?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:36 am
Community Director Emerita

I don't know - but perhaps it is because the inbound flight was cancelled and there was no replacement plane.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Wonder what they did with the paid C or F pax.

If they put them on VS or BA, it's a lot of revenue lost. Not just the one ticket, but all future tickets, because the pax surely wouldn't buy a UA ticket after experiening one of them.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:52 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
They must have known well in advance because quite a few were on UA900 to FRA. When I checked in for the FRA flight I asked about bump possibilities and was told that the flight was at 104% so they put me on the list. As it turned out several people misconnected due to an ice storm somewhere and the flight went out with 1 open seat.

Last edited by Pat89339; Jan 14, 2007 at 10:53 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: None Whatsoever
Similar thing happened to me recently on a NRT-SEA flight.

Cancelled because the inbound 777 from SEA was u/s.

Managed to squeeze me onto a flight via LAX (C class).

Looks like UA's maintenance is going to the dogs,

(or worse...).
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:09 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I hope United considers acquiring some extra wide bodied aircraft so they can be waiting in reserve. When the 747-800 and the 7E7 come out, these would also make welcome additions to their fleet.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
I hope United considers acquiring some extra wide bodied aircraft so they can be waiting in reserve.
Unfortunately, this suggestion would be like buying a one-way ticket back into Chapter 11.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Unfortunately, this suggestion would be like buying a one-way ticket back into Chapter 11.
The number of airlines that have wide-bodies sitting around "in reserve" in case there is a cancellation/problem/etc is exactly zero. It just does not happen.
Also, 7E7 is the 787 - has been for a while now.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
The 777s are usually pretty reliable, it is those old 744s that fall apart at a moment's notice.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:46 pm

I hope United considers acquiring some extra wide bodied aircraft so they can be waiting in reserve.
Remember, these days just about EVERY long haul cancellation on UA is posted here in a separate thread. I don't quite know how or why this trend had developed in this forum, but it is very much upon us. It is quite possible that UA's cancelation rate is similar if not lower than every other carrier's. I have no idea. We just seemingly have every single cancelation - inbound as well as outbound now - thrust in front of us for discussion. It seems to be the new FT pasttime .
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 2P... just 2P.
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Remember, these days just about EVERY long haul cancellation on UA is posted here in a separate thread. I don't quite know how or why this trend had developed in this forum, but it is very much upon us. It is quite possible that UA's cancelation rate is similar if not lower than every other carrier's. I have no idea. We just seemingly have every single cancelation - inbound as well as outbound now - thrust in front of us for discussion. It seems to be the new FT pasttime .
Things at UA are going so well, it's all that's left to complain about!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:59 pm
Suspended

I hope United considers acquiring some extra wide bodied aircraft so they can be waiting in reserve. When the 747-800 and the 7E7 come out, these would also make welcome additions to their fleet.
If you are a bean counter, would you spend well over $100M or just endorse a bunch of tickets if a flight is cancelled. No brainer for the bean counter even though it may be tough luck for the individual passenger.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
Wonder what they did with the paid C or F pax.

If they put them on VS or BA, it's a lot of revenue lost. Not just the one ticket, but all future tickets, because the pax surely wouldn't buy a UA ticket after experiening one of them.
If they jailed the C or F pax at the gate or delayed them with lies until the last VS and BA flight left (this has happened!) the C and F pax will be steaming mad!

If the C or F pax got a BA or VS seat, they still could come back to UA if they are addicted to Mileage Plus. I used to be an addict but now I am sober. Miles no longer rule my life^
Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
It seems to be the new FT pasttime
Our goal: To have a FT'er on every UA plane, anywhere, anytime

My wife is much better at "selling" FT than I am so I will have a business card made up for her to hand out. Spread the word

On-topic, sorry to hear about the cancellation. When 827 went over push for a mechanical last Thursday, I had visions of the same. When we left the reason was a tire need to be changed. By the time we arrived in SYD, the reason had evolved into, and I quote from the purser's arrival announcement "sorry for the delay last night, but it was better to have four working engines than three"

Pat
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by 777-100SP
If the C or F pax got a BA or VS seat, they still could come back to UA if they are addicted to Mileage Plus. I used to be an addict but now I am sober. Miles no longer rule my life^
Well I see you are new on here...welcome....howeve, if you hang around here too much, you may find yourself in a relapse situation...and before you know it--miles will again fule your life

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.