UA award travel newbie question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

UA award travel newbie question

Sorry, but couldn't find it...
I'm ready to book my first UA award trip. It's a rare intl flight
in business for Christmas. I guess I can do it 331 days ahead,
what time do they release those seats, midnight New York time?
Does United let you book your first flight
and hold it until the return flight becomes available?
It seems I can't do such a thing online...

Thanks, Andrew
Old Jan 11, 2007, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
what time do they release those seats, midnight New York time?
Everything on United is Central Time.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA ex-1K (now nothing), Hilton Gold
Be aware that if your flights aren't available 330 days out, you shouldn't give up -- not all award seats are released at that point. Some will likely be dribbled out piecemeal over the entire time between 330 days out and the flight.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks, but can you answer the 2nd part of my question?
How about holding 1st part of my trip to wait for
the return flight to show up in the system?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Can one of those 125 people who looked at this answer my question?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:06 pm

I have found the best way to book award flights is by phone with a customer service rep. First of all, you'll want to do your homework. Check not only United flights, but any of the partner flights that work for your itinerary. Then when you talk to them, you can be specific in your requests. If you feel the afent isn't being helpful, call again.

I don't believe you can put one leg of the award ticket on hold.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: Standard Memberships in all the majors hotel, airlines and Amtrak.
UA Award travel

Can one of those 125 people who looked at this answer my question?
One problem with United is that once you secure the outbound 331 days out, you have to ticket within three days or lose the seat. So if you're trip is longer than 3 days, you are in risk of losing that coveted outbound award seat.

You can in 3 days...

* Beg to extend the hold (sometimes works)
* Or book a placement holder return leg award on whatever day they currently can see in their system.

United lets you change the date of your award travel without a fee as long as your routing doesnt change. If it does, $100. So, pick the most common return routing to minimize your risk of paying the change fee.

I would actually prepare yourself for the $100 change fee. Nothing is truly free anymore.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:46 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by andeesue
I have found the best way to book award flights is by phone with a customer service rep. First of all, you'll want to do your homework. Check not only United flights, but any of the partner flights that work for your itinerary. Then when you talk to them, you can be specific in your requests. If you feel the afent isn't being helpful, call again.

I don't believe you can put one leg of the award ticket on hold.
You can put the first leg of the award ticket on hold for up to 3 days.

However, in three days, you have to either release the seat or ticket. Try ticketing a dummy return flight and then calling back to change it 331 days out from your return flight.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you! That's what I wanted to know...
Delta let you keep you booking until your return flight shows up
in the system. Why isn't this possible with United?

Well, your solution is good, I'll do it that way

Andrew
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:17 am
Original Member

Thank you! That's what I wanted to know...
Delta let you keep you booking until your return flight shows up
in the system. Why isn't this possible with United?

Well, your solution is good, I'll do it that way

Andrew
United is the only major airline that I am aware of that only permits you to hold an award reservation for 3 days. Most airlines are atleast 7 days and a few are, I think, 14 days.

My opinion is that American has been the best over the last three years for award availability and ease of booking, ticketing.

By far, I consider United the worst. And its gotten even more dreadful with the outsourced call center.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JustinCredible
United is the only major airline that I am aware of that only permits you to hold an award reservation for 3 days. Most airlines are atleast 7 days and a few are, I think, 14 days.

My opinion is that American has been the best over the last three years for award availability and ease of booking, ticketing.

By far, I consider United the worst. And its gotten even more dreadful with the outsourced call center.
Unless you're 1k or higher. Then, you are able to cancel any award reservation and re-credit the miles without a fee and I've yet to be connected with an offshore call center. Thus, if I'm looking at an award reservation, I'll go ahead and ticket it, knowing that I won't have to pay a penalty if I want to change or cancel in the future.

Kinda like the new 18 month expiration of miles, can be seen as UA providing better service to its best customers at the expense of the masses.

Incentivizes (is that a word?) me to do mileage runs and other silliness in order to get back to 1k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.