FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   IAD - C shuttle dock in Main moving (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/646231-iad-c-shuttle-dock-main-moving.html)

Annandaler Jan 11, 2007 3:14 am

IAD - C shuttle dock in Main moving

The Main Terminal dock location for the C Concourse shuttles will move next week (currently planned for Tuesday, 1/16, but with rain coming this weekend it might take a couple more days). The new location will be immediately past TSA screening.

This will save the long walk currently needed from TSA screening to the current dock location. And it will shave several minutes off the shuttle ride in each direction between Main and C.

(Mods - since this affects UA pax almost exclusively I put it in the UA forum.)

GoingAway Jan 11, 2007 5:50 am

that's great news ... each time I walked over to those lounges with the continuing construction and blocked off walls, I felt like I was heading towards exile. Do have to say that with the construction and changes, that exit from the far location could not have been sweeter - straight out the door, down the escalator and out!

gre Jan 11, 2007 6:32 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway (Post 6995030)
that's great news ... each time I walked over to those lounges with the continuing construction and blocked off walls, I felt like I was heading towards exile. Do have to say that with the construction and changes, that exit from the far location could not have been sweeter - straight out the door, down the escalator and out!

You are seriously optimistic my friend. I, on the other hand, expect them to somehow screw up the finished product such that we'll end up wasting more time.

GoingAway Jan 11, 2007 6:37 am

Originally Posted by gre (Post 6995149)
You are seriously optimistic my friend. I, on the other hand, expect them to somehow screw up the finished product such that we'll end up wasting more time.

optimistic? I hated the walk from security ... they'll screw up the quick exit option that we now have - they can't help but interfere with that !! It is IAD after all. ;)

Annandaler Jan 11, 2007 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway (Post 6995030)
...that exit from the far location could not have been sweeter - straight out the door, down the escalator and out!

With the C shuttle dock move, it won't be much further for exiting. You'll get off the shuttle just inside TSA screening, walk a few yards to the right and exit through the smoked glass doors on your left just past the screening area. That's just behind Harry's Tap Room. Turn right and walk about 2 minutes and you will be at the top of the east escalators which take you to the United carousels. (You can also take the elevator on the side of Harry's down and exit the building immediately.)

Tennen Jan 11, 2007 7:22 pm

Does this mean that the SHARP TURN is no more? If so, that's great news! Every time I ride that thing, I (and my luggage) seem to topple over everyone (and their luggage) no matter where I am on the lounge.

Annandaler Jan 12, 2007 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Tennen (Post 7000089)
Does this mean that the SHARP TURN is no more?

The first sharp turn when leaving Main currently is at the end of the Z-gate concourse (where it is turning onto a downslope area) - and that will be eliminated. But it will still be going around the west end of the B-concourse extension, with 2 turns there...

Annandaler Jan 18, 2007 5:35 am

C shuttle dock in the Main terminal has now moved to the west end just past TSA security. Depending on which security lane you go through the C shuttle is either a bit to the left, right in front of you, or a bit to the right. The overhead electronic signs are quite good in directing you.

gnaget Jan 18, 2007 8:17 am

Let's petition to get Harry's Tap Room shut down or stop them from serving fried good. They exhaust an infernal deep fry smell right into the beautiful terminal. It's an insult to Saarinen and his legacy, and it makes me nauseous every time I pass thru IAD. I never thought I would say that I am sorry about the plight of a TSA worker but I feel bad for the guy who guards the door behind Harry's Tap Room.

OU812 Jan 18, 2007 8:34 am

The only good thing about the C gates shuttle old location was that in order to exit the security area you didn't have to push your way through a crowd of confused IAD travellers clearing security who didn't know where they going. It will be interesting to see what happens now that these shuttles have been moved closer to security.

RIP...

Annandaler Jan 19, 2007 7:00 am

Originally Posted by OU812 (Post 7042033)
The only good thing about the C gates shuttle old location was that in order to exit the security area you didn't have to push your way through a crowd of confused IAD travellers clearing security who didn't know where they going. It will be interesting to see what happens now that these shuttles have been moved closer to security.

That is definitely the down side. When you exit the C shuttle in the Main Terminal, you join with everyone coming through security and heading to their gates/shuttles. You CANNOT exit the security area through the smoked glass doors close to Harry's Tap Room (they are now posted "Emergency Exit Only" and alarmed) - you MUST go down the escalator inside the security area and exit into the baggage claim area with everyone else.

Flyin4MAG Jan 19, 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Annandaler (Post 7048997)
That is definitely the down side. When you exit the C shuttle in the Main Terminal, you join with everyone coming through security and heading to their gates/shuttles. You CANNOT exit the security area through the smoked glass doors close to Harry's Tap Room (they are now posted "Emergency Exit Only" and alarmed) - you MUST go down the escalator inside the security area and exit into the baggage claim area with everyone else.

Simply because they are marked as such does not mean you cannot exit that way -- I just did it last night.