Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:48 am

Programs: United 1K, USAir Silver
Originally Posted by carl92103
Will this be the next memo from the Executive Vice President of Pretzel Curtailment?

Effective immediately due to United’s new anti-pretzel policy all pretzels will now be kept at the reception desks at all the RCC. Each guest is entitled to one bag of pretzels or two if flying international First or Business. Our first class lounges will still provide unlimited pretzels that must be consumed in the club. RCC matrons will be randomly searching customers for any unauthorized removal of pretzels from the club.
RCC members will be allowed to exchange one drink chits for 2 bag of pretzels.
Additional pretzels will be sold for 50 cents a piece of 100 miles per bag from your MP account. However pretzel tickets cannot be exchanged for Drink Chits.

Those caught stealing pretzels will be banned from the club for one year or till the date of renewal ( UA needs the money)

Number visits to RCC will be imited to 20 per RCC member. Any visits above 20will be changed a flat fee of $20 per visit

Each RCC member will get 20 pretzel bag, 20 coffee chits with each renewal.
RCC member's guests shoud have the same last name. If not each guest will be charged a fee of $10 per guest!

There will be a Save UA tip jar at RCC recption desk. This fund wil be divided between RCC employees and UA. UA will reduce the RCC staff salray to minimum wage!

Finally !!!! (Drum role please )

Starting 2008, RCC will be outsourced to Patel Motel Corp of India, who will manage all RCCs..
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I don't usually eat the pretzels, and thus don't care personally, but I think this is retarded. Competing with AA to be the lowest in services provided is not the way to compete, IMO.

I also don't see how this is precursor to "pay as you go." The FAs are going to have a list of all passengers and whether or not they bought a $0.50 bag of pretzels at check-in? Seems like a lot of extra work and hassle for no benefit. Lame.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Plat, SwissBel Gold
76 people are lost

why would 76 people have so little to do or want so much to post follow a no prezzie post???
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I also don't see how this is precursor to "pay as you go." The FAs are going to have a list of all passengers and whether or not they bought a $0.50 bag of pretzels at check-in? Seems like a lot of extra work and hassle for no benefit. Lame.
No, the machine spits out a coupon for the services you purchased.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:37 am

Programs: MP Platinum
Follow this up with self serve vending machines in the gate array with items for 25 cents (at a 200% profit of course) and it's now snacks are a revenue source instead of a cost center.

(think about the 25 cents sodas outside Walmart, when was the last time you saw a vending machine with items under a 50 cents?)
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
No, the machine spits out a coupon for the services you purchased.
I dig. I guess that's a little less lame.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I don't usually eat the pretzels, and thus don't care personally, but I think this is retarded.
I think this about sums it up for me too.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Smartly, United has decided to minimize one of the chronic sources of many dissatisfaction and discontent.

Now, less people will say, "Dang, all we got was a pretzel!".

I guess I should really care less since I never eat any of these 'snack' offerings anyways, but this is simply just a part of the continued degradation of in-flight 'service' on domestic flights.

Sad.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by jef7
I guess I should really care less since I never eat any of these 'snack' offerings anyways, but this is simply just a part of the continued degradation of in-flight 'service' on domestic flights.
I don't think there are many FTers who are eagerly awaiting that little bag of pretzels as gourmet fare. I usually say NO to the pretzel bag and settle for water. So, its not that I am going to miss the Pretzels.

The principle of nickel and diming,imho is being taken too far with these cuts to pretzels, half cans of soda etc.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by legionnaire
I don't think there are many FTers who are eagerly awaiting that little bag of pretzels as gourmet fare. I usually say NO to the pretzel bag and settle for water. So, its not that I am going to miss the Pretzels.
I do for the new ones! I hated the old stale unsalty ones but the new snyder ones are fresh and yummy
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:58 am

pretzel

Yeah probably better to just serve a drink and forget about the pretzel
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, just found something else out. We all know that Y has no more snacks, but I just got off a LAX-SMF flight in F. The FA gave me a small bag of Snyders pretzels, and I asked her if they had cut the gold foil snack mix from F in conjunction with the new Y policies. She said she believed this was the case. I really hope this is not the new norm, since I really liked the gold foil snacks.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
UAL Corp.'s United Airlines stopped serving snacks in the coach cabin of some U.S. flights to save $650,000 a year.

United dropped the snacks on trips of less than two hours, covering about 29 percent of its flights, spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said Friday. The change took effect on Tuesday. AMR Corp.'s American Airlines cut economy-class snacks on flights of less than 90 minutes in 2005.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/bus...F?OpenDocument
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
OK, just found something else out. We all know that Y has no more snacks, but I just got off a LAX-SMF flight in F. The FA gave me a small bag of Snyders pretzels, and I asked her if they had cut the gold foil snack mix from F in conjunction with the new Y policies. She said she believed this was the case. I really hope this is not the new norm, since I really liked the gold foil snacks.
Snyder's started appearing very late last year. I really thought it was a nice upgrade from the gold foil stuff. Of course, no one knew they were about to be eliminated at the time...
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:34 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by tom911
[I]UAL Corp.'s United Airlines stopped serving snacks in the coach cabin of some U.S. flights to save $650,000 a year.
Brilliant!

So 100 c-fare tickets could've paid for this. I wonder how much of those they will lose as a result of ever-increasing service cuts such as this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.