Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by homestar
i often wonder if aa would stop spending dumb money on things that have no client impact, they could afford to buy peanuts. at any rate, i wonder what ua spends dumb money on that we never know about?
Executive bonuses? Oh, wait, we know about those...
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Are there any laws/rules against passengers walking up and down the aisle selling snacks on aircraft? Might be a good way to finance some MRs.
That is a really excellent idea! just to tick them off mind you.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
And to think that just the other day as I was deplaning I saw an unopened gold-foil bag of premium mix on an armrest in F but didn't stop to pick it up! Next time that happens, there may just be a scuffle to see who can get to it first!

My 2-cents on this is that it's going to prove to be a poor CS move. As others have mentioned, even the LCCs have free snacks; and look at US, who got rid of snacks only to bring them back again.

I think this may prove to be one of those short-lived ideas that get's shelved because of negative customer feedback. But then again, I've seen worse ideas that once implemented live on indefinitely in the airline business.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 8:30 pm

Programs: United 1P, AA Plat, US Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by blort
Why am I paying $675 (refundable) to fly to MIA with a connection in IAD on UA when I can fly nonstop in first class on CO, also refundable, for $659?
I don't know why. CO is a far superior airline from every operational aspect possible. How often do you fly this route? If you can, stick to CO confirmed in non-stop first class!
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:15 pm

Programs: Lots
Gets better every day for those flying premium cabin tickets from Ted markets. For a one-way $5k C ticket to asia from PHX, they are now not going to serve even one pretzel?

Yeah, I think my switch to SQ and LH was a good one.

2007 will be an interesting year. Those who thought that we'd bottomed out on the service cuts apparently have another thing coming...
Old Jan 11, 2007, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
That is a really excellent idea! just to tick them off mind you.
Or, if there is a policy against selling stuff on airplanes, how about giving them away... in nice bag advertising WN's superior service (LUV beats TED?). Anyone got the phone number for the WN's marketing department? ;-)
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:07 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
If UAL was really smart the best strategy would be to give nothing in E-, no cokes, pretzels or food and give away a full can of coke and LARGE bag of pretzels, with a PA announcement, making sure all in E- could see. Imagine the money they would make on upgrades to E+.

I can understand (don't agree) with the rational for nothing in E- since these are typically lower priced, infrequent fliers, but to do this in E+ when the price of the ticket can be 4-5 times for business based travel is an insult to any business traveler.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:38 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
This is probably a precursor to the 'bare' fares that was reported in the investor call and presentation.

The bare fare entitles one to a Y seat on a UA plane from point A to B. It does not entitle you to:
  • checked bags
  • E+ seating
  • snack mix/pretzels in flight
  • soda in-flight
  • water
  • tea/coffee
  • pillow

If you want any of these, at the time of check-in, the chicken will ask you which ones you want to purchase. Make your choices then, pay for it and get on board.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:28 am

Programs: HH Silver, Eurostar CarteBlanche
gfowler, I suspect that the elimination of the snacks has not much to do with the cost of distribution . Catering dept has been ordered by mgmt to cut 5 million off their bidget this year. Rather than ask the crews where money could be trimmed invisibly ( there are ways) some pencil pusher has decided that this is an easy way to lower the budget. Please write in and complain- I am sure the domestic FAs are not appreciating the substantial guff I imagine they are getting over this removal. Its probably as fun for them as it is for me telling passengers they have to pay for liquor in economy on transatlantic flights.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by GalleyGal
Catering dept has been ordered by mgmt to cut 5 million off their bidget this year.
Yet more indication that this Charlie Trotter announcement is pure nonsense.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:21 am
Suspended

I'm assuming RCC's will continue to be stocked w/ pretzels. I might pick up a dozen or so packets to give those sitting around me the next time I fly on a non-pretzel flight.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
I'm assuming RCC's will continue to be stocked w/ pretzels. I might pick up a dozen or so packets to give those sitting around me the next time I fly on a non-pretzel flight.
Will "Non Pretzel" flight be a new meal code
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carl92103
Will "Non Pretzel" flight be a new meal code
No, but flights with pretzels will be the subject of a full fledged promotion involving a jazzier version of Rhapsody, new artsy fartsy poster paintings and clever logo's such as

U N I T E D
featuring P r e t z e l +Plus Service

Last edited by PhlyingRPh; Jan 12, 2007 at 12:15 pm
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
No, but flights with pretzels will be the subject of a full flegdged promotion involving the artsy fartsy poster paintings and clever logo's such as

U N I T E D
This was good --UA marketing needs to hire you
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:38 pm

No, but flights with pretzels will be the subject of a full fledged promotion involving a jazzier version of Rhapsody, new artsy fartsy poster paintings and clever logo's such as

U N I T E D
LOL. I hope it doesn't come down to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.