Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No pretzels on flights less than 2 hrs? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by xj47
I believe that OAK-LAX is a SkyWest flight? I've only ever seen the biscotti on UX, never mainline, so I'm inclined to believe that as well.
Yes it is SkyWest. I guess my point is that while those of us who thrive on the details of United Airlines understand what's happening (although possibly not comprehending it), those travellers who pay less attention will be confused. On a 45 minute "United" flight on a small airplane (i.e., UX RJ), I may get a snack, but I am not getting one on a 90 minute "United" flight on an Airbus or 757.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I wonder if its mainline getting the cut and TED will keep the pretzels, further confusing just what service can be expected when/where by the average traveller
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA; DL;
I have to wonder if they really think they will save money this way. Seems to me UA is taking the "latte-factor" to cost cutting when I'm sure there is a better way of going about it.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:49 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by jetsetter
This is trange given UA has made comments that they are trying to differentiate themselves and not be a comodity business.

I believe that the format for emails internal at UA is the standard (exchange)
[email protected]
Thus perhaps we could start emailing the executives like Grham and that new lady, and/or the person in charge of in flight?

Liz and/or others, was there any kind of interesting company memo sent out about this? Like do they give you some little script you are supposed to say if the pax asks for the snack? Are f/as supposed to report to UA how customers react to this cutback?

Also I'm curious if sometimes the pretzels will be loaded on the airplane for short flights especially if that equipment will be used later in the day for longer flights? I suppose if you are sitting in the first few rows of coach it might not be that difficult for the f/a if asked to give you some snacks from first class.

And again does anyone know the best way as passengers we should approach trying to get this restored? UA? DOT? Media?
No, we just got a note on our briefing sheet that said "no more pretzels on flights under 2 hours..."

This is NOT popular. I have already figured that eliminating 13 supervisors at 50K a year equals pretzels returning. I think we could spare 13 throughout the system, and keep our pax happy!!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by BDLORD
Wow, doesn't even Southworst serve a snack?
Pathetic
Southwest has much better service across the board than United. Friendly, motivated people who actually show an interest in the company and in their customers. Also, Southwest makes no pretense - it comes right out and says it is a no frills experience. The real pathetic company here is United, not Southwest.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:09 pm
CEB

Programs: UA 1k MM, HH D, Starwood PT, Alaska MVP
While not explicitly stated, I find this thread seems to focus more on the issue of nickel and diming than pretzels! Thus my thoughts may seem to diverge, but I think they apply similarly to what I find in the hotel line of actions.

Specifically, I note that when staing with hotel chains in the US one finds that the high end hotels with the big lobbies charge exhorbitant room rates and then 5&10 one to death for breakfast, internet access and evening cocktails! But travel to Asia with the same hotel and suddenly service becomes exemplary with free internet, breakfast and cocktails as well as recognition by calling one by name and much more frequent upgrading and complimentary extras.

This leads to my strategy of frequenting the low cost segments of major chains (eg. Hampton, Homewood, Four Points, etc.) in the US to achieve and maintain status while staying with the 5*s in Asia where I invariably am upgraded to the Executive floor and all but once to a suite with Starwood! Have been very happy with this approach for the past three years!

Recently, I have taken to applying this same strategy to my flying. I generally employ Star Alliance, DRTW tickets purchased in Bangkok or Taiwan (minimizes cost and allows 2 additional stopovers in NA). Easily and inexpensively changeable, plus I can now choose to fly my preferred carriers (SQ, OZ, LH) on the long hauls (occasionally using LX, NH or OS) for greatly improved service and amenities! Flying 200k - 250k per year maintaining status presents no challenges, but staying away from the US carriers as much as possible certainly resolves many of the service issues raised in this thread.

In summary, there are strategies around the incessant five and dime direction of the US carriers, but I certianly would not hold my breath waiting for them to wake up and refocus on service!

P.S. I would also point out that I hvae noticed a marked increase in UAL FA concern with their service behavior. Of course, with my status they always know who I am so the improved service I notice, even when sitting in Y, may not be generally available. I do know that a few years ago I flew to HI with my mother, putting her in F and flying Y myself. I was happy with the service and she was very disappointed, so go figure?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:15 pm
CEB

Programs: UA 1k MM, HH D, Starwood PT, Alaska MVP
Oops! Forgot to mention TH as one of my preferred long haul carriers, especially in the past 18 months since they put new planes on line!

BTW, I alos have taken to frequently employing LCCs such as SW, Frontier and ATA as well as Alaska on occasion for the requisite connections to fully utilize my RTW tickets in the USA!
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by CEB
Specifically, I note that when staing with hotel chains in the US one finds that the high end hotels with the big lobbies charge exhorbitant room rates and then 5&10 one to death for breakfast, internet access and evening cocktails!
I strongly suspect this is because the majority of customers of the high-end hotels are either business clients (on an expense account) or rich people... either way, they don't really care about the cost so much. The hotel charges extra for internet, breakfast, etc. because the customers are willing to pay it. On the other hand, the low-end options of the same chains (for example, SpringHill Suites instead of Renaissance) will offer free internet and free breakfast along with much lower room rates... because their clients are typically budget-minded folk who will choose the hotel based on overall value (not necessarily price, although price plays a big factor in the overall value, as do the amenities), rather than just picking the nearest/most luxurious hotel like biz clients may tend to do.

This is in stark contrast to the airline industry, however, where low prices and NOT amenities are the primary drivers behind the decisions of the budget-minded consumer, but I suspect this is because the airplace is purely a transit vehicle (i.e. all the budget-minded consumer cares about is just getting from point A to point B with as low a cost as possible), while the hotel is integral to the trip (i.e. the consumer spends a significant amount of the trip, and possibly of their budget, in the hotel itself).

Of course, I don't know why in Asia the high-end hotels would change their tune and offer a lot of amenities for free, compared to being charged for the same (or poorer!) service here in the U.S. It may have to do with different expectations in Asia, where clients there tend to expect such amenities to be included, whereas here people are willing to (and ultimately expect to) pay for them.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by CEB
This leads to my strategy of frequenting the low cost segments of major chains (eg. Hampton, Homewood, Four Points, etc.) in the US to achieve and maintain status while staying with the 5*s in Asia where I invariably am upgraded to the Executive floor and all but once to a suite with Starwood!
Recently, I have taken to applying this same strategy to my flying.
from my perspective, you're a moderate. i've gone to the extreme.

as much as possible, my philosophy is: earn money in the US (while avoiding taxes -- and texas -- as much as possible). spend money in developing nations.

seems like the best combination for value and enjoying life.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 1:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I think that's the key .... airlines need to start planning for these weather and mechanical emergencies by having some sort of "rations" on board that can be broken out under specifically defined timelines & circumstances. With all the weather mishaps lately, 2 hours flights are becoming 8+ hours without food and that is just unacceptable.

I was on SEA-SFO this morning and asked the FA about these emergency scenarios since we got no prezels. She pointed to a sealed box sitting between rows 2 and 6 on our A319... emergency rations for just such a scenario.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:24 am

Programs: United 1K, USAir Silver
Originally Posted by ajc1970
spend money in developing nations.
Great idea. United should buy the pretzels from China and India. This will be lot cheaper than the money they were paying to an US vendor.

This weekend I was trying to throw out an old bag and I found an old peanut bag from EASTERN AIRLINES. I could not not beleive the size of the peanut bag .I opened and counted the number of peanuts- It was 50 peanuts- Full and not split ones . It was from 1984 and hence I did not care to eat it If UA serves the peanus now, it will be exactly 8 pieces per bag

Talking about Savings - I have heard that UA is spending big money on one of the Big 4 consulting companies ( Accenture, Bearing Point, Cap Gemini or Deloitte) which is implementing-upgradng their ERP systems. I hope bean counters are looking at that expense, instead of silly things like pretzels.

If they get rid of 5 do for nothing UA executives, they can cover this cost easily. Perhaps some UA employees should post the names of the do nothing UA clowns so that UA management will take notice.

My view: Charge $10 extra for tickets- But bring back the hot meals.^ ^ ^
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:38 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Undoubtedly, the logic behind the elimination of pretzels follows the same logic once used with eliminating olives from the meal trays. I read that American Airlines saved $80,000.00 in a single year by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first class.

Of course, eliminating the sole edible perk from coach class while your competitors are emphasizing amenities in coach class is penny-wise and pound-foolish.

http://www.maritzincentives.com/maritzreprint.pdf
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:13 am

Well at least they are not like my employer charging 1 to 3 $ for trail mix lol.
To think my dad worked for Pan Am now they new what they were doing.
Imagine boarding clipper 19 jfk-lax and having to pay for trail mix or a or $5 for a cold sandwich grin.
Carlos
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Took Southwest for the first time in probably five years on a short trip from SJC to ONT today. I was shocked that the FA handed out two bags of peanuts to each passenger. And then, ten minutes later, she came through the cabin again and handed out another two bags to those who wanted more (no begging needed). And when she came through to collect the garbage, she asked again if we wanted anything else. I'd advise anyone with LUV stock to sell asap as with this out of control spending on 5 cent snack bags the company is for sure doomed.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
I personally don’t eat pretzels but them cutting such a small item tells me this is the sign of things to come. This is exactly what US started doing before going down hill. Even cheap CEO US Doug Parker brought back pretzels when he took over.

If you take something away at least give the person the opportunity to buy it on board during the beverage service. I have been on many delayed flights that had tight connections and was starving when I got to the next flight.

Since this announcement I noticed all the Red Carpet Clubs putting out extra pretzels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.