Wiki Posts
Search

UA Bare Fares [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 12:06 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by gglave
However, unfortunately for me and United that will cost them my USA-flights business. Currently, if I have to book a business trip I can usually convince the bean counters to steer the booking to United and get a few Air Canada aeroplan miles. If United goes a-la carte like AC, what I *won't* be able to do is convince the bean counters to steer it to a United fare class that includes points, seat selection, checked bags etc. If that's the case I'll probably just book my US travel on whatever carrier works best and/or start steering my travel over to Delta Airlines - There's no incentive for me to pick United.
Currently, accounting lets you book a UA flight but not an AC flight that has the same bundled services (points, pre-assigned seat, checked baggage, etc.) as the UA flight (from what I have seen, the AC fare level that has the bundled services that a UA flight has tends to be the same as the UA fare for routes that both fly)?
Old May 8, 2007, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
These kinds of ideas just make me want to fly WN! People dont like being nickled and dimed..Unless UA wants to offer fares like ryanair people will just take there traffic elsewhere. I can see the WN exec's drooling if UA does something like this!
cheers
howie
Old May 8, 2007, 1:06 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For good housekeeping, I'll merge this thread with the one kindly cited by milepig. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, UA.
Old May 8, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tjl
Currently, accounting lets you book a UA flight but not an AC flight that has the same bundled services (points, pre-assigned seat, checked baggage, etc.) as the UA flight (from what I have seen, the AC fare level that has the bundled services that a UA flight has tends to be the same as the UA fare for routes that both fly)?
I do very little in-Canada domestic business travel. Most of my flights are to the USA.

For most of my flights to the eastern half of the USA out of Vancouver I prefer to fly United over AC because I clear US customs in Vancouver and use the hubs in DEN or ORD, as opposed to a mid-trip customs clear in Toronto.

So I can usually say something like "I need to go to Boston on United via Chicago" and they'll book it without any questions. But if I have to say "I need to go to Boston on United via Chicago and please pay the extra money so I can have a window seat and check a bag and earn aeroplan miles" the bean-counter radar will snap-on, they'll say "we don't pay for perks like earning miles" and book me on the cheapest carrier.

With the old method I could fly under the 'bean counter radar' - If this new policy comes in place I won't be able to, which means United will likely lose my business.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.