Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Redeemable miles expiration date: - Miles Expiring!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

It appears as if UA has snuck a new line item into the Mileage Summary page:

"Redeemable miles expiration date: Dec 31, 2009"

Is this something new? I had always thought UA miles never expire.

Please explain...let the guessing (and complaining) begin!
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
It updates every time you get miles. ... a rolling 36 month expiry. Fly in January and it'll go to Jan 31, 2010.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Indeed, the new line is actually quite useful for those people who might NOT fly all that often, as it reminds them of the date by which they need some new activity. BTW the date updates for all activity, not just earning miles - redeeming miles (or earning without flying) should also reset the clock.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Nothing new. In fact, a step in the right direction, by disclosing that info to the infrequent flier.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Ord747Cle

As has already been posted..... no it is not new.

Remember it is not just earning miles.... ANY activity (redemption as well as earning) keeps the miles "alive" for another 36 months.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by cepheid
BTW the date updates for all activity, not just earning miles - redeeming miles (or earning without flying) should also reset the clock.
Great info; I didn't know that.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:36 am

Hooray! Last summer I actually suggested this to USAir (and I thought UA). Hopefully it will help some customers and may reduce an angry call or two to UA about expired accounts.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Hey, this might be the first time "SEARCH" has worked in Firefox to answer my question!!! WOO!

Geoboy has a buncha United miles that are set to expire 12/14 (and yeah, he JUST told me). We're AA flyers now, but he doesn't want to lose the miles. It sounds like he could just make a purchase via the United Mileage Plus Mall and reactivate the miles- is that right? I was thinking if he used some of the bonus offers, he could rack up enough miles to trade or use for something he actually wants, rather than subscribing to a bunch of magazines or getting restaurant.com coupons.

Thoughts, advice?

TIA,
GG
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by GeoGirl
Geoboy has a buncha United miles that are set to expire 12/14 (and yeah, he JUST told me). We're AA flyers now, but he doesn't want to lose the miles. It sounds like he could just make a purchase via the United Mileage Plus Mall and reactivate the miles- is that right? I was thinking if he used some of the bonus offers, he could rack up enough miles to trade or use for something he actually wants, rather than subscribing to a bunch of magazines or getting restaurant.com coupons.

Thoughts, advice?

TIA,
GG
ooh. thats tough... I have no expierence, but thought I remember hearing that MP mall purchases can take a few weeks.... and you only have 6 days? Sadly... I would do the magazines, as I have found those post VERY quickly.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
ooh. thats tough... I have no expierence, but thought I remember hearing that MP mall purchases can take a few weeks.... and you only have 6 days? Sadly... I would do the magazines, as I have found those post VERY quickly.
Wait- I was talking about the fact that he doesn't want to have to spend all 14,000 miles on magazine subscriptions. Is there a faster way he can make sure the miles don't expire?

GG
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:46 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
GeoGirl, are you sure the miles don't expire at the end of the month? With each mileage earning activity, my clock resets to the end of each month. Regardless, it would be very tough to get your miles to post (especially non-flying activity) before year end. As a last resort, there's always the option of purchasing extra miles. Good luck.

Now, I guess it's time for me to check up on my friends & family to make sure that theirs don't expire anytime soon...
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Tennen
GeoGirl, are you sure the miles don't expire at the end of the month? With each mileage earning activity, my clock resets to the end of each month. Regardless, it would be very tough to get your miles to post (especially non-flying activity) before year end. As a last resort, there's always the option of purchasing extra miles. Good luck.

Now, I guess it's time for me to check up on my friends & family to make sure that theirs don't expire anytime soon...
Actually, I just logged into his account and it says this:
Current redeemable miles balance: 14,528
Lifetime United flight miles: 10,678
Redeemable miles expiration date: Feb 28, 2007

So I think he has more time than he thinks. Silly Geoboy. I think he should buy a Christmas present for me using the United portal.

GG
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by Ord747Cle

Not a new rule. This has been in the MP T&C for years.

UA was simply responding to customer feedback and added the information to the web page to make it easy for non-frequent flyers to find out when their accounts expired. As you can see, it has served GeoGirl well.

For more check out this thread from last month:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=expiring
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:31 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by GeoGirl
Wait- I was talking about the fact that he doesn't want to have to spend all 14,000 miles on magazine subscriptions. Is there a faster way he can make sure the miles don't expire?

GG
Maybe this would be one of those rare occasions when it might make sense to spend a few $s to buy a few miles, assuming that doing so will count as "activity" for purposes of keeping the miles now in his account alive.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by itsme
Maybe this would be one of those rare occasions when it might make sense to spend a few $s to buy a few miles, assuming that doing so will count as "activity" for purposes of keeping the miles now in his account alive.
Naw, now that I know he has until February, he can just buy me a Barnes & Noble gift card for Christmas, using the United shopping portal.

GG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.