Search

Why can't I check in on-line?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:50 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
OLCI won't let you check-in if there has been a schedule change at all. I routinely call reservations and ask them to clean up the reservation.
There was no schedule change. The agent at the checkin desk said that it was because there was someone else with the same name on the flight. (But the on-line and kiosk checkins go by the six character locator or Mileage Plus number, not by name...)
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Yesterday, I was not allowed to check in online for a return flight from LHR to SFO. For the outbound flight 7 days earlier, there was no such problem. Can't figure out why.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Yesterday, I was not allowed to check in online for a return flight from LHR to SFO. For the outbound flight 7 days earlier, there was no such problem. Can't figure out why.
i may be wrong but iirc, you can only use olci for flights that originate in the u.s. you can olci sfo-lhr but not the other way 'round
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:13 pm
Original Member

I also had that happen last week. I got to the counter and they wanted my birthday too. There was no SSSS issue; everything was simple after that. The strange thing was that my return flight was the same. Why would they need my birthdate twice for the same record?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:27 pm

Why does United need your birthday anyway? If an airline asked me that I'd tell them it was none of their durn business.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I had one of these today for a flight tomorrow - could not check in online. At first I was told it was because I had an upgrade, but knowing this to be wrong, i called back and tried again.

It turned out that there had been a flight number change (my ticket was on 311 and I was checking in for 60), even though the schedule was the same (10.00am PDX-SFO).

If your ticket and the check-in information do not match, then OLCI won't work.

the strange thing here is that the flight number changed 2 months ago and no-one had done anything about it.

David
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:49 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
I'm never allowed to checkin online, lucky for me I'm on the list. Not only for UAL, but Delta and Northwest, too. Most agents understand the inconvenience and are open about it, even joking on how I made the list. Last checkin at ATL, agent suggested I put middle initial in res. to see if "they catch" it next time.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:18 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by tjl
What's going on?
I don't know - but if you find out, send me a PM.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:24 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadkit
I don't know - but if you find out, send me a PM.
It was just because of someone with the same name on the flight, according to the person at the UA checkin desk.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by crhptic
Why does United need your birthday anyway? If an airline asked me that I'd tell them it was none of their durn business.
I assume it's an ID thing. Though they could just ask you for your driver's license and pull it off of that.

On maybe they're giving out free upgrades if it's your birthday!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I assume it's an ID thing. Though they could just ask you for your driver's license and pull it off of that.

On maybe they're giving out free upgrades if it's your birthday!
I think the former is along the correct lines. I wish it were the latter.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:21 pm
tjl
Original Poster

One other note:

I called Mileage Plus customer service before the flight and asked about getting the bonus miles for attempting to online checkin. They made a note in my account and said to mail a printout of the message showing the attempted online checking to the Mileage Plus address in Rapid City, SD in order to get the bonus miles.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Well, well, well, it appears I am getting the message (and that was the first time!)

First segment...

We are unable to locate an electronic ticket for this itinerary. Please return to your original place of purchase for assistance and return to united.com for check-in.

Second segment...

Please see a United Representative at the airport to complete check-in.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Wiggums
We are unable to locate an electronic ticket for this itinerary.
I've had this happen when there was a schedule change. Someone at United screwed up, and my e-ticket was invalid. You should call and get it cleared up before heading to the airport - you might even be able to do OLCI once it's fixed.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:04 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Ah, thanks for the warning.. will call them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.