Wiki Posts
Search

Award miles charged twice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1MM UA
Award miles charged twice

Last week I got an award ticket on the web. When I finished, it said that the reservation had been made, but there was a problem ticketing the reservation and I would need to call. I called customer service, who switched me to reservations who switched me to web support. I was told there was a problem with the address on my credit card for the $5.00 charge.
We never figured out the problem; I finally just switched to another card.
Then he told me to wait while he adjusted the miles.

Today I checked, and the miles had been subtracted from my account twice.
There was just one confirmation number. I called customer service, who switched me to reservations, who switched me to web support. (Some things I am slow to learn.) They kept me on the phone for over 1/2 hour while they were working on it. First I was told that I had to stay on the line or they couldn't work on my problem anymore. After 30 minutes, they told me they would continue to work on it, and I didn't need to stay on the line anymore. My fingers are crossed.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
If you don't seem them back in your account tonight, calling MP is probably the best thing to do. They should be able to put them back in your account while you're on the phone.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by qasr
If you don't seem them back in your account tonight, calling MP is probably the best thing to do. They should be able to put them back in your account while you're on the phone.
For issues regarding miles and upgrades MP is HEAPS better than reservations or web support. As qasr notes, if the situation does not seem to be rectified in a day or two then just get on the line to MP.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:20 am
Original Poster

It was Mileage Plus Customer Service that I originally called both times
(800-XXX-XXXX). I agree that they are usually very helpful.

This morning my miles were still missing. I went onto the web to check
my itineraries again. I clicked on "e-receipt" and saw that while there
is one confirmation number, there are two ticket numbers. I just
checked both credit card accounts, and it appears I haven't been charged
the $5.00 fee at all. (??)

It is over a month until my trip. I have sent an email with all the details
to MP customer support, and my fingers are still crossed.

NB: Our policy is not to publish elite numbers in public posts. Posting general numbers, freely available to the public, is fine, however Thanks.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 28, 2006 at 9:19 am Reason: elite number edited
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:32 am

Programs: UAL 1P,HH D, SPG GP, FT Newbie!
Originally Posted by sosafan
Last week I got an award ticket on the web. When I finished, it said that the reservation had been made, but there was a problem ticketing the reservation and I would need to call. I called customer service, who switched me to reservations who switched me to web support. I was told there was a problem with the address on my credit card for the $5.00 charge.
We never figured out the problem; I finally just switched to another card.
Then he told me to wait while he adjusted the miles.
I've been having problems @ the website lately w/credit cards as well, the site keeps telling me there is a problem w/the expiration date. I finally called my bank, and the website is converting the expiration date to 1941 no matter how or how many times I enter it! Maybe this has something to do with your issue - hope they fix it fast!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
For my husband's upgrade in Sept., they pulled the miles out twice and he did eventually get the miles back but it took about 2 1/2 weeks. I was told my MP that they were "running behind". They should at least be able to confirm that they see that the request as been processed.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by sosafan
I clicked on "e-receipt" and saw that while there
is one confirmation number, there are two ticket numbers.
Call back. I'd be concerned if there were two ticket numbers for one ticket.

-David
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

The had to "call Detroit"

So I wrote customer service, and they told me:
----------------------------------------
Hello Mr. Goodman,

Thank you for being a loyal Premier Executive member.

Our Award Reservations teams will be able to assist you with this. For domestic travel call xxx-xxx-xxxx; ...

Feel free to contact us for any issues directly related to your Mileage Plus account.
-----------------------------------------

I guess being charged twice isn't directly related to my account.

So I called again, and pointed out the two ticket numbers. This time they were able to fix the problem in just under 15 minutes. But was kept on hold for a while, because I was told "We have to call Detroit". The problem, as I
understood it, was they couldn't refund the previous ticket(s) and give me a
new one because there was no more availability. But the problem seems to
be all resolved now. I have no explanation why my first phone call led to
no resolution, and there is evidence that MP cannot deal with ticket issues.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:05 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I also been having problems upgrading. Kept pulling 30K miles 1 way for international, though I was on B fare. A quick call up to MP and a minute later I got 15K refunded. It just doesn't help reading my statement with all those deductions and additions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.