Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Boarding gates offer red carpet preference to F, C, GS & 1K pax at SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding gates offer red carpet preference to F, C, GS & 1K pax at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Line cutting?

First off, I like the idea of a separate line and hope it spreads. However, I'm wondering if it's going to create problems occasionally. I was boarding DEN-LAX yesterday with my GF. She was shoping, and we were a tiny bit delayed getting to the gate (about 2 minutes after the initial boarding call for elites etc.). Naturally, 75% of the pax were already in line so we took our place at the back of the queue (we didn't get to board with the elites and overhead space was a bit of a challenge). Would a separate line for elites have allowed me to bypass all the GMs waiting in the regular line, and how pissed off would they all have been seeing me cut in front of them? I probably wouldn't take advantage of this myself, but I can see it causing some conflict down the line.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:30 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
I assume that's one of the purposes of the additional lane, to allow those elites/premium pax who don't make it to the gate for the early boarding call to get on the plane expediently.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the lane for such. The stares would be brief and the convenience great.

Pat

Would a separate line for elites have allowed me to bypass all the GMs waiting in the regular line, and how pissed off would they all have been seeing me cut in front of them? I probably wouldn't take advantage of this myself, but I can see it causing some conflict down the line.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:59 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
First off, I like the idea of a separate line and hope it spreads. However, I'm wondering if it's going to create problems occasionally. I was boarding DEN-LAX yesterday with my GF. She was shoping, and we were a tiny bit delayed getting to the gate (about 2 minutes after the initial boarding call for elites etc.). Naturally, 75% of the pax were already in line so we took our place at the back of the queue (we didn't get to board with the elites and overhead space was a bit of a challenge). Would a separate line for elites have allowed me to bypass all the GMs waiting in the regular line, and how pissed off would they all have been seeing me cut in front of them? I probably wouldn't take advantage of this myself, but I can see it causing some conflict down the line.
It's an entirely separate line, and since everyone in the non-super-elite line has already seen the majority of super-elites board in front of them, it's not going to be an issue seeing a super-elite or two walk down the aisle.

Keep in mind that you're not holding the non-super-elites up; they're fumbling with their boarding passes etc, while you just walk up and have yours scanned and voila, you're there. In many ways the boarding process is more efficient simply by having two lines instead of one.

The only downside I see, and I think it's real but nobody else here seems to, is that, at the gates I've used, you have to pass through the super-elites to get to the non-super-elite area. At SFO, this area is constrained by the proximity of the moving walkways, so it's often not large enough to hold a large number of super-elites in an orderly fashion. UA has a real opportunity to lessen the chaos of boarding, and they're only going part-way.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I believe this is being rolled out to all the major hubs, if not systemwide, and I agree that the execution and enforcement of who gets to use these special lanes is paramount.
This is the best thing that UA has done in a long time to make things more convenient for premium pax and the super elites ^ ^ ^
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
any chance you were on that flight on Nov 17 (fri?)

we were too - upstairs, very exciting!

But you're right, boarding was a zoo

Originally Posted by ozstamps
A few weeks ago they subbed a 747 onto our SFO-IAD flight. 400+ folks to board at a normal gate.

Boarding that was of course a zooooooooooo.

No special gates or red carpet then and we had biz seats. too 15 mins to get on.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: UGS, AA CK
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Not employing the signage and/or rugs is where this procedure would fail on execution. Some agents are more forceful than others, and some really don't care who boards first. So without having the standard setup of signs, rugs, lanes, etc., there would be probably a 50/50 chance that the plane would be boarded in this manner due to agent inconsistency.

I think the rugs are beneficial because it enables us to skip the long lines. I always have first but don't necessarily want to board 45 mins before the flight. This way, I can board when I want without waiting in the long lines.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
A couple of weeks ago I was boarding a NW flight DTW - DEN ( --an involuntary reroute due to a UX Messy mechanical LAN-ORD

NW has the spiffy newer terminal at DTW and it is one of their hubs. There were two indicated lines, one with a red carpet for elites. But when boarding time came, there was one GA and she just called everyone through a single line. So, the idea may be good, but it's all in the execution.

Secondly, as a MM who sooner or later is going to enter into the nirvana of lifetime 2P, I'm a little regretful that the Premiere Executive folk are being lumped with all others.

On the other hand, have you noticed that UA is lumping 1Ks with 2P, 1P, F & C at counter check-ins? SEA's red carpeted 1K line vanished; then reappeared as a generic "elite" line. The other day at DEN the sign at the queue that had always had the label GS/1K, now reads GS; and 1Ks are directed to the same queue as 1P, 2P etc.

It's an imperfect world.

Flyer 420
in Boulder
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Skipping to the front of the line at the boarding gate doesn't mean that you can bypass the line in the jetway waiting to board.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:23 pm

Would a separate line for elites have allowed me to bypass all the GMs waiting in the regular line, and how pissed off would they all have been seeing me cut in front of them? I probably wouldn't take advantage of this myself, but I can see it causing some conflict down the line.
this would be a HUGE benefit for me. If i am not there on time I end up having to wait in the long line. It would be nice to have a dedicated line I can use at my leisure.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:56 pm

Love the new boarding procedure

Just wanted to voice that I'm a big fan (1K myself). Awhile back, while after having a horrible time trying to board with Group 1 on a 777 Chicago-bound flight, I wrote an email to UAL about how it's gotten so bad. Like a lot of you, that day I ended up boarding with group 3 due to all the people waiting around / clogging up the area.

A month or so later, this new procedure has shown up, and while not always perfect, I am a *huge* fan of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.