Wiki Posts
Search

UA flight cheaper on USAirways.com

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: united
UA flight cheaper on USAirways.com

I found a DEN-LAS-SFO fare was about half as much when purchasing via USAirways.com then thru UAL.com. And all segments (DEN-LAS-SFO-LAS-DEN) are on Ted. Strange.. Has anyone found other routes that utilize UA metal, that are so significantly discounted when purchasing via a codeshare?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there are any routes that are always cheaper via US, but rather that it is just certain flights on certain days depending on loads. I doubt UA would intentionally make something half price for US...
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I don't think there are any routes that are always cheaper via US, but rather that it is just certain flights on certain days depending on loads.
And sometimes US is more expensive than UA. It pays to shop around...
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I don't think there are any routes that are always cheaper via US, but rather that it is just certain flights on certain days depending on loads. I doubt UA would intentionally make something half price for US...
I'm not sure how and why it works.....but I have had two screens open, booking the same flights via ual.com and usairways.com and found significantly differing prices on the same exact flights.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by dendomicile
I found a DEN-LAS-SFO fare was about half as much when purchasing via USAirways.com then thru UAL.com. And all segments (DEN-LAS-SFO-LAS-DEN) are on Ted. Strange.. Has anyone found other routes that utilize UA metal, that are so significantly discounted when purchasing via a codeshare?
what dates? i dont see any ted flights on usairways.com, ure prob flyin hp via las-they have a hub there!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Its odd, because I've often purchased BOS-PHL flights on UAL.com, because they still had the sale fares and US didn't....

I think there is some cross over on the number of seats given to each airline on a flight, so sometimes US flights are cheaper on UA and UA flights can be cheaper on US....

Never hurts to check each one...
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I'm not sure how and why it works.....but I have had two screens open, booking the same flights via ual.com and usairways.com and found significantly differing prices on the same exact flights.
It works due to how the codeshares are setup.

Each carrier is given a certain number of seats in a certain fare bucket. If that bucket is sold out on Carrier A's site, but Carrier B still has a few seats left in its allotment then you can buy the codeshare ticket on Carrier B's site for less than on Carrier A's site, even if the flight is really on Carrier A metal.

Keeping a watchful eye on codeshares can often yield discounts for this simple reason. That said, if Carrier B burns through its seat allotment quickly in the lower bucket the inverse can also be true; it's possible for a ticket booked on Carrier B's site for Carrier A's metal to be more expensive than the same ticket on Carrier A's site.

In short, always double check.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Random_Flyer

Each carrier is given a certain number of seats in a certain fare bucket. If that bucket is sold out on Carrier A's site, but Carrier B still has a few seats left in its allotment then you can buy the codeshare ticket on Carrier B's site for less than on Carrier A's site, even if the flight is really on Carrier A metal.

Keeping a watchful eye on codeshares can often yield discounts for this simple reason. That said, if Carrier B burns through its seat allotment quickly in the lower bucket the inverse can also be true; it's possible for a ticket booked on Carrier B's site for Carrier A's metal to be more expensive than the same ticket on Carrier A's site.

In short, always double check.
I did not realize that US/UA did "hard" codeshares.

I do not think these discrepencies are due to seat code availability alone.

one of the easier ways to compare these is to use orbitz. I just checked ua/us on was-fll one stop. 364 to 488. orbitz also sometimes comes up with fares that ua/us cannot match. I flew was-ord-fll on ua with tickets from orbitz at about half the price anyone could find on ua.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
when I've bought UA tickets on uscare's site I've had problems getting E+
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by Random_Flyer
I know that. Maybe I was not clear......but it had nothing to do with code share flights. They were both selling the same UA flights, with UA flight numbers, operated by UA metal, etc.....and the prices were very different.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA GS
How does the upgrade get processed if you buy a ticket on us.com which is ua codeshare?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by iwebslinger
How does the upgrade get processed if you buy a ticket on us.com which is ua codeshare?
If you buy a UA flight on the US site with a US flight number it'll be on US ticket stock. Unless things have changed recently, this means you can upgrade, but not in advance. It'll have to be done at the airport. Before then the ticket is technically under US control and UA can't upgrade a US ticket (though it can handle the UA flight day of departure). You'll also need to have UA (not US) upgrade currency available.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by iwebslinger
Where you purchase the ticket has no bearing on upgradabiility.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
US-scare does not allow all UA cities to be booked.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
US-scare does not allow all UA cities to be booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.