FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Consolidated "GIG Lounge Options" Thread [merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/621575-consolidated-gig-lounge-options-thread-merged.html)

catocony Nov 6, 2006 8:19 am

Consolidated "GIG Lounge Options" Thread [merged]

Has anyone been through there in the last week or so? If Varig does go completely under and/or gets booted from Star Alliance, has anyone heard what United/Star A will use as a lounge at GIG?

i'mlovin'it Nov 6, 2006 8:45 am

Still there on the level below the gates. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was open.

Erasmus Nov 6, 2006 12:59 pm

Was open last week---quite a nice facility, actually. Didn't show any signs of closing down, although the movie theatre appeared closed. (I didn't inquire if it would open if you asked; didn't have that much time to kill.)

catocony Nov 6, 2006 1:27 pm

I was last there in July and all the computers had been repossessed in the little business center. They had also cut back on the food quite a bit.

I would imagine that if Varig does go down that lounge would become a general-purpose Star A lounge. The United flight isn't that full but the TAP flight always seems to be.

jamiel Nov 6, 2006 1:46 pm

Ouch!!! That was a sensational lounge. Too bad...

UA840 Nov 6, 2006 6:57 pm

That is a great lounge. What about the pao de queijo, do they still have those in the little heater? The Varig GIG lounge might be my favorite in all of *A simply for the pao de queijo! I must crank through a dozen of those every time through GIG. Delicious!!! :D

TakeMeToEZE Nov 6, 2006 7:02 pm

I'm sorry to hear that they're scaling back that lounge. I agree it's a great one, much better than the one at GRU.

What's this about a movie theater? Was there a movie theater down there?

Erasmus Nov 6, 2006 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by TakeMeToEZE
I'm sorry to hear that they're scaling back that lounge. I agree it's a great one, much better than the one at GRU.

What's this about a movie theater? Was there a movie theater down there?

That's what the sign said on the door immediately to the right of the reception desk, before you enter the business lounge.

dcadude Feb 16, 2007 8:54 am

Any new updates on what UA is using for a lounge in GIG (Rio de Janeiro)? I'm passing through in a couple of weeks.

While I'm at it, how's the lounge in GRU (Sao Paolo) these days?

dcadude Feb 26, 2007 9:35 am

Lounge at GIG?

With Varig's *A departure, what's UA using these days for a lounge in Rio de Janeiro?

I'm flying GIG-GRU-IAD, so also wondering how the GRU lounge is these days. Old threads have much praise. Does the GRU (Sao Paolo) lounge have a shower?

ironmanjt Feb 26, 2007 11:42 am

Originally Posted by dcadude (Post 7298236)
With Varig's *A departure, what's UA using these days for a lounge in Rio de Janeiro?

I'm flying GIG-GRU-IAD, so also wondering how the GRU lounge is these days. Old threads have much praise. Does the GRU (Sao Paolo) lounge have a shower?

GRU does indeed have a shower. We were allowed to use it both ways on an F ticket IAD-GRU arrival before going GRU-GIG, and F departure GRU-IAD.

dcadude Feb 26, 2007 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt (Post 7298963)
GRU does indeed have a shower. We were allowed to use it both ways on an F ticket IAD-GRU arrival before going GRU-GIG, and F departure GRU-IAD.

Thanks. I'll be flying in C class (upgraded).

What's UA doing for a lounge in GIG? I had read they used the Varig lounge, but I would think that's changed given their *A change?

kevanyalowitz Feb 26, 2007 1:20 pm

Was in GIG last wed. Still the Vairg lounge. THey actually have showers there too- just ask at the front desk of the club.

catocony Aug 23, 2007 9:35 pm

Is there a shared club at GIG (Rio)?

I haven't flown United down to Rio since the demise of Varig and would like to know if the old Varig club is still available? Is it still a Varig-light club, run by the airport, Star Alliance, or what? Or, is nothing available at that terminal?

My last visit to the club was July 2006 and it was already a shadow of what it once was. The computers in the guest area had been repo'ed, and the food and drink was substantially less.

Flying2Much Aug 24, 2007 1:33 am

The old Varig club is still there, all though as you say it isn't very much there. It is still run by the 'new' Varig, and it is alright with some ok food and beverage options, but not much else.