Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA rule against checking wine at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
I remember a short time ago when I could simply 'throw' a few bottles in my carry-on and make sure they would be safe.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Marno
To start -- I usually bring 2 bottles of wine/week home to YOW from LAX, as wine selection in Ontario is poor, not to mention expensive. Now that the carry-on liquid restrictions are in place, I place these bottles in my checked luggage.
My girfriend and I flew out of LAX in September with four cases of wine. Three were in brown shipping boxes and the 4th was in my suitcase wrapped in with clothing and my other liquids. The skycap placed 6 fragile stickers on it and all four cases arrived safely. Sounds like someone at UA enjoyed a nice bottle of cab.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We always travel with a few bottles of Champagne in each bag. As the trip goes on the bag gets lighter. great psychology it really is. @:-)

Plus, try finding a nearby bottle shop if you are overnighting at Sheraton Newark etc.

Champagne of course is pressurised and is in much thicker grade glass. Near impossible to break as anyone watching ships being launched will recall.

Having literally schlepped a few 100 bottles around the globe - never a casualty.

But UN-pressurised reds, spirits - a very much dodgier issue.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ajc1970... I think the wine will take a hit from the travel, and take some (weeks, months) to return to former level. biggest damage to german reislings, minimum damage to fat cabs, shiraz, brunello. I have never had a tasting of shaken vs unshaken wines. would be interesting. To airate(sp) at tastings, OZ and Brunello winemakers dump young (current vintage) wine back and forth between carafs. maybe 10 times.

About a year ago, I was taking a case of big OZ wines to my sister(IAD or DCA-DFW). The easiest way to handle this is to throw the whole case(in foam shipping holders) into a maxi roll on. just fits. However, 48 lbs of wine and 10 lbs of case is 8 lbs to big. I started to take the wine out of the maxi and asked for labels. UA agent told me to put the case back in the maxi, and checked it through.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Marno
Anyhow, I ended up tossing a $90 cabernet in the garbage (I am still coping with the loss ) and then proceeded to the RCC, where I searched UA's website with a fine-toothed comb, and found nothing regarding a rule against checking wine.

I understand their justification for the rule; however, it would be nice to be made aware of the "LAX-only" rule beforehand, so as not to attempt to check (or so as not to mention the checking of) a nice bottle.
Please follow up with UA to verify that this "rule" doesn't exist (it almost certainly does not), and once that is verified, demand compensation and that this agent be either terminated or severely disciplined.

That we can't carry-on wine ourselves due to TSA's silly "war on water" is bad enough, but UA doesn't need to aggravate the problem.

I hope you utterly destroyed the bottle of wine and its contents before abandoning it and didn't just place it in a trash bin. Otherwise, this filthy slimy agent is enjoying an expensive bottle of wine.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:12 am

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by cepheid
Oh man, as a resident of the Bay Area, that makes my heart ache. I'm really sorry you had to endure that, it certainly does sound like BS. It's never happened to me but I've also never said I had wine - I just say I have "breakables."

An in the spirit of keeping good wine alive, just in case this happens to anyone in the future, please, instead of trashing the wine, give it to someone who's not flying (or just arrived) - it'll go to a much better place. (There were numerous news stories in the area about Napa/Sonoma visitors drinking their wine in line or donating it to other people during the day(s) following the liquids ban.)
I had a bottle of wine with me a few months ago (not a very expensive one) and remembered that I would not be checking any bags. So, I ended up giving it to the taxi driver who was very appreciative.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On this note, I was offered a bottle of wine on SFO-NRT not too long ago, but I had to decline since I was connecting and had no check-in bags. Annoying liquid rule.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:44 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by Wiggums
I can see why UA would have this rule.
I could see why it would ... but it doesn't. And anyhow, I could see
a lot of us winos abandoning an airline that had such a rule.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Prem. Exec
Originally Posted by UNITED959
On this note, I was offered a bottle of wine on SFO-NRT not too long ago, but I had to decline since I was connecting and had no check-in bags. Annoying liquid rule.
I didn't think there was a liquid rule in NRT... If I'm not mistaken, it only applies on flights to/within the US and UK. Anyways, too bad for missing out on free wine...
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:42 am
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
The wine will be fine when transported to BKK. Just make sure you put in a nice cool place for it to come over the bottle shock of transportation. Styrofoam that is used in wine carriers is a great insulation and will help ease the cold/heat cycles.

good luck.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:56 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
UA SYD always was able to provide me with a flyer that stated that wine in checked
luggage must be 'properly' wrapped.
They always were happy with my bubble warp and planting the bottles in a crate.
UA EZE wasn't, they insisted on a wooden container or taking it as carry on
(obviously the check in agent is not identical with the folks who enforce
security ).
The proper way would have probably been to get some wrap for your wine
and then probe another check-in agent.
I mean what can happen if you don't declare it? It's not a dangerous substance
per se...
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:17 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA 2 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Premier
acj1970, If you are bringing a recent vintage red CA wine like a cab it should be fine. They are quite sturdy when young. Once you get there it would be nice to let it reacclimatize in a stable environment, especially a stable temperature. Older wines are more fragile and subject to degradation from travel. In Thailand, keeping the bottle at a constant temperature will be your biggest challenge. Now having said that, I would still choose to take it with instead of buying it there. You certainly will have a better selection bringing it from the US. While the Thais are learning to appreciate wine more and more I do not think that the wine culture is evolved enough so that wine that is handled properly throughout the shipping process. God only knows where and how long a pallet of wine sits around and how it is loaded on a truck and maybe "stored" there for a day or two before it is delivered.

I've checked wine in a suitcase many times . I usually wrap it in clothes and place it in the middle, from top to bottom and side to side. I never had one break.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:53 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Gold, UA Premiere Exec (almost 1k)
About a week after the flight liquid restrictions were enacted I checked a 12-bottle shipping case (made out of styrofoam) through from OAK to BWI. The GA had to cut through all the tape I had plastered all over the box to "make sure" that it was packed correctly, which I guess it was, but then had no problem checking it for me.

I find that lots of places that sell wine now are pretty willing to give you a wine shipper if you buy anything from them.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have been checking in wines on many occasions - Usually U.S. West Coast to Europe on UA domst/T.A. and intra-EU LH flights. Always pack them in designated styrofoam boxes, which them go into my suitcase. I never had any loss. In Europe wine (& other bottles) are being sent thru the mail in those styrofoam boxes.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, LH Cattle Class, SPG
I find that a few thick cotton socks make the best packaging for wine. Pull one over the top and another up over the bottom and you will have a nice cushion for your bottle. Its worked for me on many international trips. The nicer the wine, the more socks I use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.