Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Have domestic gluten free meals been discontinued?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 3MM

For the past year or so, I have ordered a gluten free meal when traveling in first or business. On my last four trips in Sept and Oct, the gluten free meal has not boarded (in either direction).

By the way, the flight manifest lists my meal correctly as GFML and my special meal is confirmed when I used the automatic check in.

1. Does anyone know whether these have been recently discontinued?

2. If so, perhaps enough letters may encourage UA to bring them back.

3. Are gluten free meals still available internationally?

--Bob

(this is my first post, although I have been reading the forum for some time)
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Bob,

Welcome to Flytalk!

Your first post is a bit obscure. No idea how many UA gluten-frees there are out there. Flyertalkers are a wide and varied bunch. I wish you luck in finding answers.

Jeeves
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:41 am

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Because of them still being offered and such, it appears UA at least still thinks they have them.

A problem with catering, maybe?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 3:43 pm

You must be in/from Oz. I think the OZ flights MAY be the only ones left with gluten-free meals given that seems to be the only market where folks actually ask for or care about GFML.

On my last flight from MEL (eleven days ago) I saw & sniffed a GFML in C given to the guy next to me.

As for the rest of the flight network, is GFML really an issue anymore?

W
Old Oct 7, 2006, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by cewhitman
You must be in/from Oz. I think the OZ flights MAY be the only ones left with gluten-free meals given that seems to be the only market where folks actually ask for or care about GFML.

On my last flight from MEL (eleven days ago) I saw & sniffed a GFML in C given to the guy next to me.

As for the rest of the flight network, is GFML really an issue anymore?

W
While Coeliac/Celiac Disease is clearly underrecognised it's prevalence in the U.S is likely to be at least 1% of the Caucasian population (to say nothing of those with Gluten Intolerance but not CD). So I would say it is an issue

Jeff

Last edited by jswong; Oct 8, 2006 at 11:17 am
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:08 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Just want to be clear - this is not about people who happen to request them, but about people with a condition that makes them very sick if they eat gluten - and it affects 1% of the US population (95% of whom do not know it). [If you're wondering how it makes them sick and they don't know it, its because the symptoms are almost invariably misdiagnosed in the US (no longer in Europe or down under)].

Anyway - three years ago you could not order gluten free meals on United and I made quite a fuss with 1k Voice that they were supporting lifestyle diets but not medical ones and they introduced gluten-free meals about two years ago. That said, flight crews (on international flights) have always been great at looking after us (raiding F for a steak without sauce already on it) - and now most meals in C or F seem to come with the sauce on the side if needed.

But gluten free meals do not seem to be an option any more - I booked a flight for next weekend and despite a list of 8-9 special meals, gluten-free was not amongst them.

David
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
They still serve domestic meals?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott PremPlat, Delta Diamond Med, Homelife Pewter, United Lifetime Exec, HZ Pres club
I was able to order and we received two GF meals to and from Hawaii last week in First Class. My wife was quite happy with the food choices and quality. There was even a GF snack before landing in Hawaii!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Silver
I am also a celiac and travel mostly with United. I am under the impression that United will no longer serve the special meal on domestic flights. I can't remeber where I read it, but I did. It doesn't bother me much, even BOS-SFO is surviveable without food. Not too many domestic journey's longer than that. Plus I always stuff a sandwich or something in my carryon anyway.

I have never had a problem with getting GFML on international flights, of course when flying coach I have had them screw it up. I have better luck on Lufthansa or BA to tell the truth, but I stick with United the best I can.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
any recent updates as to what the Gluten Free meal offerings are now upfront?

xox
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pallensf
any recent updates as to what the Gluten Free meal offerings are now upfront?

xox
I had one in July. Breakfast flight. It was the same meal served for breakfast for the LCML and LFML, with a substitution of applesauce instead of the bagel.

Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Mahalo for the update! :-) xoxo

I too will be on a breakfast flight in a few weeks, SFO-HNL....and the meal looks more than adequate....all washed down with a glass of red....wine that is...lol.

again, thank you!

Patrick
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
I am gluten intolerant and it is listed under my special requests when I book the Itin but with UDU in place have never asked a FA for a GF meal when upfront...usually just end up eating the salad hah.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P and miles scattered around a few other programs
That's not normal. You should contact 1K voice. My mother has the disease and United only dropped the ball once with her. She called and got a $250 voucher.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
For me it's been hit or miss whether they have GF meal on board for me - and this is with paid F. I did have the very same breakfast as the picture just a few posts up not too long ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.