Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth It? + SWU question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Is it worth It? + SWU question

I'm a 1P and with existing res I would be at 90,000 EQMs IF I bought the $499 "offer." I could convert 23000 Visa "Chices" into 2000 EQMs (I think?) and that would mean I'd have to do a 4500 MR before the end of the promotion. Is it worth it to make 1K Lite under these circumstances.

On a related note I have two paper SWUs that UAL gave me as a customer apology that expire in mid-January. Do I have to USE those by that date or can I simply book and ticket the travel by that date. Since two of us will be traveling to Europe or beyond I assume I would buy the cheapest fares ONE way and then upgrade using the SWUs and then pay for M or H fares on the return to be able to use miles to upgrade.

Only the folks at FT would know the answer to these cosmic question.

Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by coastda
I have two paper SWUs that UAL gave me as a customer apology that expire in mid-January. Do I have to USE those by that date or can I simply book and ticket the travel by that date.
I'm not sure what you mean. Yes, you have to USE them by that date in the sense that travel has to be started on or before the expiration date on the SWU's. So, booking a ticket at any time for a trip (each leg of which is on/before the expiration date of the SWU) would be fine.

Dave
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Not sure where you are based off hand, but I would suggest two transwcons or a one day trip to europe. You should easily be able to get over the 10,000 EQM you need with that and can most likely easily do 10k miles of flying for the $499 you would pay for the double EQM promo or within $100 at most. Save your 90k eqm for something like a round trip biz class ticket to Asia and just put up with a day or two of mile running. Plus, with an extra 10K of flying you will get 20k of RDM miles which is not too far off from a free lower 48 ticket. If you have any questions on building a MR visit the Mileage run forum and PM me if you have any questions. Just as a thing of reference, I booked 2 same day return mile runs that will net me ~7500 EQM for $236.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: NON ELITE
Originally Posted by bschaff1
.... I booked 2 same day return mile runs that will net me ~7500 EQM for $236.
with so many UA flights, Chicago is such a convenient place to find cheap mileage run flights....wait...hmmm...7500 EQM, is that before or after the double EQM?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bschaff1
Save your 90k eqm for something like a round trip biz class ticket to Asia and just put up with a day or two of mile running.

EQM's only count towards status, and can't be redeemed....
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins

EQM's only count towards status, and can't be redeemed....

I'd be really interested in what LuckyCoins thinks of this given his incredible transpac adventures.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'd be really interested in what LuckyCoins thinks of this given his incredible transpac adventures.
Since he's the one you're responding to, I think we already know his thoughts...
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Would flying US Airways flights on HP metal county towards EQMs under this promotion?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Would flying US Airways flights on HP metal county towards EQMs under this promotion?
Not the double ones - MUST be on UA metal
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: UA , AA
Does anyone know the answer to the OP's question regarding combining fare classes for a RT. Is this possible or would it have to be booked using two One Way tickets which most likely would be cost prohibitive.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'm not sure I understand your math, but my short answer to your first question is yes, getting 1K status is worth the effort and even the $500 cost.

As for use of the SWUs, I thought you had to use them on flights that take place on or before the date they expire, as opposed to simply starting travel by that date, but I could be wrong.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
As for use of the SWUs, I thought you had to use them on flights that take place on or before the date they expire, as opposed to simply starting travel by that date, but I could be wrong.
You are not wrong! Quite the contrary, you are precisely correct.

Best, Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.