Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Thanks for the continued information. Another UGS member I know frequently gets op-upped from NC to F ex-LHR, but it's never happened to me. Who knows...
This is the 2nd time in this thread I've heard of UGS getting double-upped. I can only specualate certain "local LHR policies" are in play here. It could be explained by any number of things, but I have no clue. One thing is for certain though, UA will condone fare more rule exceptions in favor of UGS than any other passengers.

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Many, many thanks DullesJason for your comprehensive and informative post. I knew GAs had a lot of factors to juggle, but not nearly as many as you mentioned, in addition to all the "speeches" and whining and otherwise!! Thanks for taking the time to illuminate everyone on the boards here.
Best wishes.
My pleasure. I only scratched the surface of what issues GAs deal with. It can get messy. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 7, 2009 at 1:05 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
DullesJason, we are in homage to you as the God of Information! Thank you for your contributions.

I'll admit it, I ask, but am always upfront. I usually simply say, "Is the flight full? Any chance of an op-up?"
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by letiole
Thanks for taking the time to write this DullesJason. As suggested up thread, a link to it should be added to the United FAQ sticky page soon.
That would be cool. Glad the thread is being viewed as helpful.

Originally Posted by pkx
One more question for our new favorite poster :

Online check-in. People have indicated here that a gate agent can tell when you've used OLCI and don't really like it because it's possible that you checked in but still won't show.

Can you give us any insight as to how OLCI is viewed from behind the gate counter?
Yes gate agents can view who uses OLCI but while I was not in favor if it for this reason--hard to determine who's not going to show if they are already checked in! These days, it's not viewed with much prejudice if you're there on time. That's the important thing!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 7, 2009 at 1:06 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:12 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by DullesJason
Hell wouldn't have to freeze over, but you might want to be on the IAD-CDG leg on Christmas I mentioned at the end of the post. Hardly any elites.
------------
Sounds a bit like my upcoming T-giving night SFO - LHR, except in addition to hardly any elites, there are hardly any pax at all. Don't mind no op/up if 5 across on a 777 are open.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:19 am

Programs: "Only a Member" United Airlines
Exclamation

Thank you for your informative post

I also have a question for you (sorry). I tend to fly to the USA every six months, always on United Airlines. (I live in Scotland).

I have a lot of airmiles and have managed to get free flights to Europe and have enough now for a free flight to America. Anyway, I politely asked about an upgrade at Dullas Airport (at the gate), handed over my Mileage Plus Card and was refused ........ (the agent didnt even look at my card or how many miles I had - it was a straight "no").

Behind me were a young American couple (no more than 17 years old on their first vacation together - Washington DC to London) who asked the same question ...... they were asked to hand over their boarding passes and got an upgrade each ....... dont know if it was Business or First.

Can you explain why I was passed over (and I am loyal to United) and they got the upgrade and this was their first flight on United ....... am not being cheeky here, but do US citizens come first on upgrades than international passengers??
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamZeb
Jason - GREAT POST ^ ^

Thanks so much for your the information you've provided and for all the clarity.

So how many times did you have the pleasure of having Mr. Pillow/iluv on your flight??

Thanks again.
Sam
Sorry, I'm tired and confused. Who is Mr. Pillow/iluv?

Originally Posted by sylaw72
great post DullesJason. thanks for continuing to answering all of our questions. there are a couple of things that I am wondering about:

1) non-elites on upgrade waiting list using miles. in the scenerio you describe, Y is overbooked, and C is open, do you guys clear the non-elites on upgrade waitlist first, or do you guys go straight to op-up the elites?

2) does it make any difference that the non-elites is using miles vs SWU.

thanks again
1. Since the non-elites won't be considered for op-ups, we'd take the miles/certs, etc from eligible non-elites (in their priority order) then start with freebies for the top-tiers.

2. None at all. Non elites are followed by general members, who are of course followed by non-members. Within each status level, fare is the next criteria. Miles v. certs is irrelevant.

Originally Posted by TerryK
Thank you, DullasJason for this very informative post. This should be a sticky or merge into one.

Did you get to sleep at all?
Only a few hours. I'm about to take a nap though.

Originally Posted by zrs70
DullesJason, we are in homage to you as the God of Information! Thank you for your contributions.

I'll admit it, I ask, but am always upfront. I usually simply say, "Is the flight full? Any chance of an op-up?"
LOL. That's cute zrs70!

I never had a problem with a customer asking me that in a strightforward way, being totally cool with the answer either way . . . and having the status and proven loyalty to back up what would otherwise be an audacious request.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 7, 2009 at 1:07 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Great post, Jason. I didn't read all three pages, but I did get to the part about whether 2P's should expect much. Having been low-tier on all U.S. legacy carriers except CO, I truly believe that UA does the best job of the six at recognizing this level with some meaningful benefits. Had you asked me 5 years ago, I would have said AA, but the fact that nearly all of my segments are in E+ completely separates UA from the other five.

As for op-UG's, I've gotten 3 this year as a 2P. SEA-DEN on a 777 and DEN-MCI on a 757. I usually travel on a Q fare. For me, it is always totally unexpected and most appreciated. ^

While all airlines have their pros and cons, I truly believe UA is headed in the right direction in most areas. I had completely sworn them off long ago but am now glad to be flying them regularly to the West Coast. I'm two more Seattle runs away from 1P.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:38 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
You lost me there. What do all these acronyms mean? Sorry I can't keep up here!
Originally Posted by goalie
outstanding post ^^^ and thank you. i've seen g/a's work magic to get a flight out on time which was oversold and had bumps ('37 by 30 w/me last w/e)
translation: i've seen gate agents work magic to get a flight out on time which was oversold and had bumps (737 oversold by 30 with me last weekend) see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603289. thanks again for a great post and a wealth of information. ^
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unitedscot
Thank you for your informative post

I also have a question for you (sorry). I tend to fly to the USA every six months, always on United Airlines. (I live in Scotland).

I have a lot of airmiles and have managed to get free flights to Europe and have enough now for a free flight to America. Anyway, I politely asked about an upgrade at Dullas Airport (at the gate), handed over my Mileage Plus Card and was refused ........ (the agent didnt even look at my card or how many miles I had - it was a straight "no").

Behind me were a young American couple (no more than 17 years old on their first vacation together - Washington DC to London) who asked the same question ...... they were asked to hand over their boarding passes and got an upgrade each ....... dont know if it was Business or First.

Can you explain why I was passed over (and I am loyal to United) and they got the upgrade and this was their first flight on United ....... am not being cheeky here, but do US citizens come first on upgrades than international passengers??
Absolutely not!!!

They got seats they got because of their eligibility to hold them. You were passed over probably because you were not on a fare that was eligible for an upgrade. A United agent doesn't have to look at your card or mileage balance--they can tell with a 1/2 second glance at your boarding pass or paper ticket if you're eligible. They do this every day, so they're kinda fast at it.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Great post, Jason. I didn't read all three pages, but I did get to the part about whether 2P's should expect much. Having been low-tier on all U.S. legacy carriers except CO, I truly believe that UA does the best job of the six at recognizing this level with some meaningful benefits. Had you asked me 5 years ago, I would have said AA, but the fact that nearly all of my segments are in E+ completely separates UA from the other five.

As for op-UG's, I've gotten 3 this year as a 2P. SEA-DEN on a 777 and DEN-MCI on a 757. I usually travel on a Q fare. For me, it is always totally unexpected and most appreciated. ^

While all airlines have their pros and cons, I truly believe UA is headed in the right direction in most areas. I had completely sworn them off long ago but am now glad to be flying them regularly to the West Coast. I'm two more Seattle runs away from 1P.
I completely agree that Y+ is the clear difference maker! It's what makes UA stand out from the pack for all elites who usually or always buy economy tickets.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 7, 2009 at 1:08 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:47 am

Exclamation

They got seats they got because of their eligibility to hold them. You were passed over probably because you were not on a fare that was eligible for an upgrade. A United agent doesn't have to look at your card or mileage balance--they can tell with a 1/2 second glance at your boarding pass or paper ticket if you're eligible. They do this every day, so they're kinda fast at it.
Thank you for your quick reply Jason - now go and get some sleep!!

She didnt even ASK to see my Boarding Pass .... it wasnt in view as I had that in my hand, along with my passport etc.

Am beginning to think its a conspiracy (!!) - I had problems in June too from Heathrow to LAX and back but alls well there cos I complained to United and got a Travel Certificate so am busy planning my next trip now!!

Keep up the good work Jason!!
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:04 am

Programs: AA CK & Hyatt Globalist
What's the GA's reaction when you have 18 year old elites (like myself) doing the same op-up dance as the other elite flyers do? I can say that i usually will try to get to the boarding area and wait in line with the rest of the 2p, 1p and 1k. Its a game but it works some of the time; thats all that matters! Trust me being an air traffic controller ive dealt with some people that just blow my mind in terms of working schedules, i know how you feel!!
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Excellent post, Jason! Thanks!

OK, so United is probably not the airline to implement this suggestion, given its rotten IT department, but the constant clock-checking ("47 minutes to departure, time to upgrade another two pax!") seems like it could be handled by a computer, perhaps more efficiently and consistently than by GAs. Statistical models of the distribution of passenger arrival times could be built for each daily flight, and these could be used to decide when to op-up which passengers based on time to departure, number of people checked in and expected to check in (including those from late-arriving connections), status, fare classs, etc. Then all the GA has to do is issue the boarding passes when the computer tells him/her to do so. This would free the GAs to handle other requests/problems, and might even give them enough time to try to coordinate seat changes among people who would like them (such as that family of 4 with seats all over the plane).
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unitedscot
Thank you for your quick reply Jason - now go and get some sleep!!

She didnt even ASK to see my Boarding Pass .... it wasnt in view as I had that in my hand, along with my passport etc.

Am beginning to think its a conspiracy (!!) - I had problems in June too from Heathrow to LAX and back but alls well there cos I complained to United and got a Travel Certificate so am busy planning my next trip now!!

Keep up the good work Jason!!
It's not a conspiracy. Do you know off hand how much you paid for each ticket and/or what the booking code was?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
"No, Star Gold is after 1P, but before 2P. That's how United's computer ranks Star Alliance in the elite. Again, that's not to say some agents don't skip *G to get to 2Ps before making their way back up the list for *G. Should be rare though."

That is disappointing...I would have thought UA status would come first.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:40 am

Cant remember Jason - it was a few years ago but was just wondering!!

Sorry to have bothered you - thank you again for you help!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.