Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

US Airways Pledges Support to United Airlines' Bid for Beijing Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Pledges Support to United Airlines' Bid for Beijing Route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2006, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Post US Airways Pledges Support to United Airlines' Bid for Beijing Route

I have never seen one airline support another airlines' application before, although this is one is not unexpected. I am sure US will lobby its political bases in the East Coast and West Coast to support UA's application.

I see UA's application is pulling ahead of CO's EWR-PVG application.

US Airways Pledges Support to Codeshare Partner United Airlines' Bid for Beijing Route
Friday September 22, 2:44 pm ET
US Airways Will Add Its Code to All United Flights to China

TEMPE, Ariz., Sept. 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways (NYSE: LCC - News) will submit testimony Monday supporting codeshare partner United Airlines' application for nonstop service between Washington, D.C., and Beijing.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050223/LAW097LOGO)

The proposed capital-to-capital service will provide United and US Airways passengers with nonstop access between two of the world's most prominent capital cities. If approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, the service will begin in March 2007.

"United is certainly the flagship airline between the U.S. and China and we wholeheartedly support its application for service between our nation's capital and China's capital city," said US Airways Executive Vice President, Sales and Marketing, Scott Kirby. "With US Airways' large presence on the East Coast -- and especially in Washington D.C. -- this proposed route offers our customers access to an important political and economic region."

US Airways will add its code to the proposed Washington Dulles -- Beijing flight as well as United's existing flights to China, which include daily service to Beijing/Peking and Shanghai from both Chicago and San Francisco. The codeshare will open China to US Airways' customers with convenient connection service through the airline's hubs in Charlotte, N.C., Philadelphia and Phoenix and secondary hubs in Las Vegas and Pittsburgh.

"We know that our customers will benefit greatly from the added convenience of codeshare service to China on US Airways and United," continued Kirby.

For additional information, please visit the Capital-to-Capital Coalition at http://www.capitaltocapital.net. The Capital-to-Capital Coalition advocates on behalf of transit authorities, businesses, trade associations, the diplomatic community, academics and opinion leaders with the purpose of promoting direct access between Washington, D.C. and Beijing. The Coalition believes linking the capital cities of two of the world's most important nations will span a critical geopolitical divide and positively impact governmental, business, academic and cultural relations.

US Airways and America West's recent merger creates the fifth largest domestic airline employing nearly 35,000 aviation professionals. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express operate approximately 3,800 flights per day and serve more than 230 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. US Airways is a member of Star Alliance, which provides connections for our customers to 842 destinations in 152 countries worldwide. This press release and additional information on US Airways can be found at www.usairways.com. (LCCG)

-Fly with US-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: US Airways
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While no surprise, this "endorsement" is very interesting! Thanks! ^
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
While no surprise, this "endorsement" is very interesting!
It's a good sign, as some were conjecturing that USAir might leave *A. This seems to indicate the relationship is stil firm.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
It still won't help them get their elites into E+ however.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
It still won't help them get their elites into E+ however.
What choice does US have? They don't fly to CHINA.

I guess E- is better than nothing.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:26 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Hmmm. I am not sure how much this would help UA's bid, but it's definitely better than having someone come out and voice opposition. I wonder if new entrants weren't barred from applying during this round, should US submit an application of its own?

LAX
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
Hmmm. I am not sure how much this would help UA's bid, but it's definitely better than having someone come out and voice opposition. I wonder if new entrants weren't barred from applying during this round, should US submit an application of its own?

LAX
As far as I know they don't have any a/c capable of flying a China route.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:50 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by kb1992
What choice does US have? They don't fly to CHINA.

I guess E- is better than nothing.
I flew Y KLM MSN-AMS. Once. Would I ever do it again, even if free? I've apparently already answered that question, as I have 84k NW miles sitting in the bank, un-used for the past 10 years.

The thought of a 6' person in purgatory (E-) for a flight from DC to Beijing boggles the mind. I don't drink, and I don't sleep well when flying. I'd likely explode. Or implode. Or something spectacular, as my knees are jammed up into the seat in front of me, and there's nothing on Channel 9, and there's only so much airshow you can stand...

And people wonder why I don't do mileage runs...
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:56 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
Even with a stop at HNL? Besides, US would probably acquire aircrafts if it had the right to fly to China since it's such a profitable route.

LAX
Old Sep 24, 2006, 12:39 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
US will support UA as they will be able to generate codeshare and connecting flight revenue.

And, an interesting point I posted in another thread:

This brings up an interesting point: CO is in an alliance with two other US air carriers: NW and DL. USA-owned SkyTeam members are currently in control of 4 Mainland China frequencies: 3 by NW and 1 by CO.

UA is in an alliance with one other US air carrier: US. US has no service to Mainland China. USA-owned Star Alliance members are currently in control of 4 China frequencies: 4 by UA.

If the DOT is taking alliances into consideration with regard to 2006 Mainland China frequency allocation, it's Even Steven for USA-owned Star Alliance and SkyTeam carriers. The current loser and potential winner? OneWorld: AA has a single China frequency.

Note that US carriers currently serving Mainland China are not permitted to participate in next year's allocation. IMHO, next year's allocation will be won by DL. US is not in posession of an aircraft that would provide profitable non-stop service from the lower 48 states. Service from HNL would likely lose out to a service from ATL.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Just a question:

If NW can operate A330 on transpac into NRT, can the US A330 do the same? Are they different types of A330?

If the US A330 can do transpac, can it make to China from the West Coast such as one of the former America West Hubs such as Vegas or PHX? I guess there is not enough range....
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
Where would UA find the planes to fly another longhaul route, for that matter? Seems they could really use a few more 747s and/or 777s.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cakobau
Where would UA find the planes to fly another longhaul route, for that matter? Seems they could really use a few more 747s and/or 777s.
I'm sure they'll find another european flight to axe
Old Sep 24, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cakobau
Wonder if the planes might come from the unidentified customers on Boeing's order book (as reported in SpeedNews #367 - 9/22/2006):

BOEING booked orders from two unidentified customers for 16 787s (now booked 105 787 orders in 2006), from unidentified customer(s) for 30 737s (now 481 in 2006), and from BOEING BUSINESS JETS for one BBJ (now 7).
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Just a question:

If NW can operate A330 on transpac into NRT, can the US A330 do the same? Are they different types of A330?

If the US A330 can do transpac, can it make to China from the West Coast such as one of the former America West Hubs such as Vegas or PHX? I guess there is not enough range....
There are different A330 variants. I don't believe any owned by US have the range to consistently reach NRT with a full load of cargo and pax.

PHX and Vegas are problematic during summer months due to the extreme heat and consequently, the amount of fuel that is consumed during takeoff. More fuel during takeoff = less fuel for cruising.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.