Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Getting to LAX when flying Business Class from LAX to SYD or AKL using award seats

Getting to LAX when flying Business Class from LAX to SYD or AKL using award seats

Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,

I am interested in booking an award business class on Air New Zealand from LAX to either AKL or SYD. However, to get to LAX, I am departing from DAY. My question is, what class of service can I use to get to LAX from DAY, essentially, would I be eligible for first class? After all, there is no domestic "business" class service, or at least limited service if you consider the IAD to LAX which has a flight offering business class. Therefore, if I book business class from DAY to SYD, in a way, there's to components of the flight, the business class flight from LAX to SYD, and the flights getting to LAX. Since there's no or limited business class service from DAY to LAX, would I be entitled to first class seating from DAY to LAX? Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:16 pm

Programs: NorthSails | Starboard | ION
You'd get domestic F on two-class planes, and C on three-class planes (pending availability, of course ).
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:38 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Voila, sehr gut.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Voila, sehr gut.
Danke schn, monsieur
Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WindFlyer
You'd get domestic F on two-class planes, and C on three-class planes (pending availability, of course ).
Unless of course F or C is not available at booking. I was told in the past that if you then book an economy seat on the domestic portion, you will not be able to even waitlist or standby for F or C. Can anyone confirm that?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by PCTraveler
Unless of course F or C is not available at booking. I was told in the past that if you then book an economy seat on the domestic portion, you will not be able to even waitlist or standby for F or C. Can anyone confirm that?
Do award tickets work differently than upgrades? I recently bought a Y-class LAX-SFO-LHR rt ticket, upgraded, and was able to immediately confirm C on the SFO-LHR and LHR-SFO segments, and F on the returning SFO-LAX segment. Was waitlisted for F on the outbound LAX-SFO, and confirmed at some point thereafter.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:18 pm

That's why I noted pending availability
Originally Posted by PCTraveler
...I was told in the past that if you then book an economy seat on the domestic portion, you will not be able to even waitlist or standby for F or C...
Correct on the waitlist (don't know about standby) if you are dealing with a *A awardyou cannot waitlist even UA segments. This rule is sometimes overlooked by agents whoI assumeare unaware of it (as the system itself allows it) who will waitlist for XF/XC.

In the case of an all-UA award, you can waitlist no problems.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Scott in LA
Do award tickets work differently than upgrades?
No and yes...

All-UA awards allow for waitlisting, much like revenue UA segments. *A awards do not allow for waitlisting even on UA segments; and similarly, revenue segments on partners do not allow for UG waitlisting.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by WindFlyer
No and yes...

All-UA awards allow for waitlisting, much like revenue UA segments. *A awards do not allow for waitlisting even on UA segments; and similarly, revenue segments on partners do not allow for UG waitlisting.
Hi Windflyer!

You mentioned *A awards as distinguished from UA MP awards, but I'm not certain of the difference. By *A award do you mean using miles from a *A member such as Lufthansa's Miles & More program, or do you mean using UA MP miles but using at least one segment of a *A partner, such as NZ?

Sorry if this is a bonehead question. After all these years I'm still not familiar with all of the vernacular and technical jargon.

BTW, Windflyer, I think a lot of your posts reflect professional travel knowledge!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Northbrook60065
...do you mean using UA MP miles but using at least one segment of a *A partner, such as NZ?
Bingo ^

..and thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.