Ameniti worth it for me?

 
Old Sep 11, 06, 1:26 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,296
Ameniti worth it for me?

Hi All,

I wanted to see your opinions on if Ameniti is worth it in my particular situation. You guidance is appreciated.

I go to Hawaii twice per year on UA. I always have bought econ and upgraded with miles. On average, my expenses (per trip) look like this:

2 x Econ tix = $1500.00
60,000 Miles for two upgrades.

Ameniti would look like this:
Membership fee: $295 (once per year)
2 for 1 full fare tix = $2,100
No Miles. (How hard is it to find availability for this fare class on this route?)

So, what do you guys think?

Thanks,

J.

P.S. By the way, I guess I also lose precious EQMs by not booking on UAL.website from booking with Ameniti.
jgoodm is offline  
Old Sep 11, 06, 1:30 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 20,393
Originally Posted by jgoodm
P.S. By the way, I guess I also lose precious EQMs by not booking on UAL.website from booking with Ameniti.
Nope. You don't get EQMs for booking on united.com, you get RDMs.

However, since you're buying a paid F ticket (with Ameniti), you will get additional EQMs due to the class of service.
UNITED959 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 06, 2:44 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, London, Sydney
Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Posts: 9,764
Originally Posted by UNITED959
However, since you're buying a paid F ticket (with Ameniti), you will get additional EQMs due to the class of service.
I think the OP meant Y not F, no? Either way s/he would get bonus EQMs, but the travelling companion would not get any mileage credit.
stevenshev is offline  
Old Sep 11, 06, 3:43 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by stevenshev
I think the OP meant Y not F, no? Either way s/he would get bonus EQMs, but the travelling companion would not get any mileage credit.

I'm thinking that the OP had to mean Y as well.

I've never heard of any F tarriff from HNL that could be $2100 RT.

Unless the OP meant HNL-KOA or HNL-LIH.
Northbrook60065 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 06, 3:56 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Posts: 1,577
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Nope. You don't get EQMs for booking on united.com, you get RDMs.
Unless the OP has a platinum MP visa card, right?

OP should probably also take the signup bonus RDMs into account at the usual conservative 100 miles = $1 rate.

The availability of the fare class on the route would be the clincher, I bet. Did I miss what route is the OP is flying?
fadeforward is offline  
Old Sep 12, 06, 10:37 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,296
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses...

1: Yes I have a Plat UA Visa.

2: I did mean F class. Thats the fare LAX-OGG and LAX-KOA. (Just double checked, $2022.00 Not including fees and taxes). Not including the cost of joining Ameniti, I am essentially paying $500 to save 60,000 miles, I guess that is a value of 0.008 per mile, if you add the Ameniti fee of $299, it jumps to 0.013 per mile (assuming I only buy one ticket per year, which will not be the case).

By the way, I am sure there are threads on this but, if I buy F class as a premiere, do I get 175% EQMs? That beats the loss of EQMs from Credit card purchase....

3: Although I don't like my travelmate losing miles, as long as I stay premiere, I will make up the rdms' with the credit card so its ok.

4: The op is a he.

Thanks,

J.
jgoodm is offline  
Old Sep 12, 06, 10:40 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,333
Originally Posted by jgoodm
By the way, I am sure there are threads on this but, if I buy F class as a premiere, do I get 175% EQMs? That beats the loss of EQMs from Credit card purchase....
You get 150% EQM and 175% RDM.
alliance is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: